Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 Chopped Chevy Sedan Delivery

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by RMONTY, Jan 15, 2016.

1. RMONTY

RMONTY

Mostly surface rust. They dont salt the roads here. Body #2 is unmolested. Its getting built I think. The original body wont be abandoned, maybe redirected. I want something to drive this coming Spring and I bought it today I think.

drdave and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  2. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

They say, late is better than never! And I may be late at finding this thread, but now I am subscribed to see it coming together! You've been doing great so far and I expect that to continue. I am agreeing, it is better late than never when it came to finding this thread! :cool:

chryslerfan55 and RMONTY like this.
  3. B Bay Barn

B Bay Barn

Haha ask and ye shall receive:
    What's the plural form of chassis?
    The plural form of chassis is also chassis.
    Search Results
    Featured snippet from the web
    Pronounce chassis CHASS-ee (singular) and CHASS-eez (plural). Chassis comes from the Latin capsa, meaning box. In the 1600s, chassis referred to window frames, and starting with early automobile production, acquired its dominant meaning, i.e., the box that is the frame for the car.

4. RMONTY

RMONTY

I was thinking if was going to be something like "chass-eye". Never even thought to Google it! :eek::confused:

Outback and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. RMONTY

RMONTY

I've periodically thought about what to do for a steering wheel. I dig the utilitarian look of the original Sedan Delivery wheel that came with this car. Isnt there some product that everyone uses to fill the cracks before painting? Is it something more exotic than JB Weld? 20191208_142910.jpg

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. I've used epoxy, but fiberglass resin works better if you're gonna sand it and paint it.

7. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Doing one soon with PC-7. I've read that folks are using body panel bond adhesive, but I've never tried it.

Outback, Atwater Mike and dave plmley like this.
  8. RMONTY

RMONTY

20191124_072611.jpg Got the drivers side cowl brace fit up and started welding it in and ran out of wire damnit! I guess a stop at Tractor Supply is on the schedule on the way home from work tomorrow. 20191209_190030.jpg

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  9. I'm late to the party on the new delivery find, but, man, that's fantastic!!! Congrats!!

RMONTY likes this.
  10. RMONTY

RMONTY

You aren't THAT late. If you go to Joel's class in Sachse in March you should come by and check it out. I'm only about 35 or 45 minutes north from there. I hope to be close to having it driving by then. I was going to try to go to the class but I need to buy more parts for this thing.

11. RMONTY

RMONTY

20191210_185721.jpg 20191210_185734.jpg 20191210_185758.jpg

Kind of a milestone in the project. Got the cowl braces all repaired and started bolting the cowl down with new bolts and the new rubber pads. It feels good to be putting bolts in instead of taking them out! Boring to most but exciting to a guy that's had going on 5 years of getting to this point.

12. RMONTY

RMONTY

Going to round up some help tomorrow evening to get the front clip bolted in place so I can start working on rockers and door fitment.

20191110_143006.jpg

13. goldmountain

goldmountain

Today I saw a steering wheel repair video where they used a product called PLASTIFIX. Looked like a great way to go until I went and priced the stuff. If you got that kind of money, go for it.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

RMONTY likes this.
  14. RMONTY

RMONTY

I was watching some YouTube's on fixing old cracked steering wheels. POR15 has a product apparently. I may check into it.

15. Grabis

Grabis

RMonty, what a wild ride so far. I was laughing out loud about the trunk cat.
    Great stuff! I’ll be following.

Travis

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

RMONTY likes this.
  16. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

This is where I would be tempted to put the spacers between the (K member?) and the frame for lift:D
    Carry on tho, looking good!:cool: upload_2019-12-11_5-34-29.jpeg

17. RMONTY

RMONTY

That might be a little OT and get my thread killed if I decided to do a body lift and start putting Dana 44s under this thing!:eek: My grandson would want me to paint it like Gravedigger!:rolleyes:

Outback and low budget like this.
  18. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    RMONTY likes this.
  19. RMONTY

RMONTY

20. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Not really recommending it,just because I kinda like it, just tying to explain what I was talking about:D

21. I'm hoping to make the class, but it's right smack in the middle of spring break and we've been looking at a road trip for next year. But, if it works out that I can do the class I'd love to stop by and check it out in person!!

22. I was around when the Gasser thing started, no not this one the real Gasser's. Then the Street posers that couldn't race with the Real ones started making waves and tried saying "they" were just like the way it was. No, counterfit is still counterfit. Real Gassers had strait AXLES not A Frames. I also was at it when the Pro Street thing hit. I was young(er) then and got sucked in. I took my just fine to drive anywhere Hot Rod and turned it into a ill handeling P.O.S. with Fat Ass tires. I had abandoned my Roots and stepped into the "Just like them" world that really didn't fit anywhere but in a road side Bar. Lucky for Me and my Coupe the Fat Tire thing was not to hard to undo. Wish I would get it finished up so I can get behind the wheel of my Old Friend and a real Hot Rod again. And here it is looking like a 1980's total missfit. That's what you'll have if you put spacers between your Frame rails and the A Frame crossmember, a wannabe missfit. RMonty, Stay your course, your doing just fine.
    32 Stude 0003.jpg

Outback, scott27 and RMONTY like this.
  23. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I think Low Budget was poking fun with the spacer comment. I built a Pro Street vehicle in the 80's also. Sold it to make the down payment on my first home, which was probably a better investment!;)

Atwater Mike and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  24. I agree. Or was he?

25. goldmountain

goldmountain

Somewhere I remembered reading that the John Mazmanian Corvette was raised in the front by the wooden block method. So not just for posers.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. In your picture I see what looks like a bolt missing. While under my 52 a couple of days ago I noticed the same bolt missing on mine. I figured whoever worked on the car previously might of forgot to put it in or did they?

27. RMONTY

RMONTY

Are you talking about the bolt in the right rear of cross member in the picture? If so, it's out because I took the drivers side motor mount tower off for whatever reason.

28. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I wasnt joking entirely,only at myself for being tempted to do it at this point. I like the look but wasnt trying to push the gasser/street freak "look" on anyone else who doesnt like it. I guess I need to start using the term street freak more instead of gasser, nobody seems to get their panties in a wad as much:D
    I know the look has maybe gone out of style somewhat "again" but I liked it to begin with, so wouldnt I be following trends if I didnt like it anymore because the trend is fading.

brEad, RMONTY and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  29. Yes, when the previous owner was installing the V8 he must've removed it and forgot about it. Thanks. I've been watching your thread with interest, good work.

RMONTY likes this.
  30. RMONTY

RMONTY

Yeah I used all Grade 8 bolts, nuts and washers when I reassembled after rebuilding the front end.

Copper Top likes this.