Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Who makes a 1/4 sweep no linkage elec wiper?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Clik, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Clik

Clik

Who makes a 1/4 sweep (90 degree) no linkage elec wiper?

I think the Mighty Wiper is like 120 degrees or something.

2. if memory serves me right we put a after market cable driven unit in a 37 Chev that was cable driven and was adjustable for sweep but do not recall if it was that short of a sweep. It was not from that Hoffman group. I think it was from Specialized Windows. Might call them for info.

3. brading

brading

This is Mini wiper system. Shorten A, Cut of B so C is close to D. then alter sweep to suit as Wiper 3. This side of the pond you can get the wiper motor, drive cable and actuator separate, then us copper tube to connect.

Attached Files:

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  4. oldolds

oldolds

I would look at rear window wipers. Some cars do not seem to move more than 90*.

5. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

Check your local marina

6. gene-koning

gene-koning

I saw a couple listed on Amazon about a month ago with an adjustable sweep between 80 degrees and 160 degrees. I have no idea how good of quality there were though. Gene

7. Clik

Clik

Thanks. Trying to find just a straight shaft type with no linkage or cables. Just a single wiper.

I'll watch for rear window types when on the road to see what models have a 90 degree only sweep.

Unfortunately we have one of those junk yards that wont let you in and wont pull anything that isn't high dollar. Yeah Martin's you suck.

8. gene-koning

gene-koning

I needed a 90 degree sweep wiper motor on my truck. I spent a day walking a pretty large pick a part locally looking for a rear wiper with a 90 degree sweep, found only one on some BMW SUV. Everything else has at least 120 to 180 degrees of sweep.
    Look for a wiper motor for an older Jeep Wrangler, the ones where the wiper mounts above the fold down windshield. Gene

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  9. RmK57

RmK57

Ongaro boat wiper motors are 40, 60 , 90, 80 degrees adjustable.

10. Cosmo50

Cosmo50
    from California

11. A lot of Asian cars and some USA makes use the same Nippondenso rear wiper motor with the wiper arm mounting straight to the shaft with no linkage. They all have a gear box that a gear that turns with an eccentric rod that connects to the gear to change rotating motion to back and forth motion (think of the rods on a steam locomotive). Anyway, the one I found, when you open up the gear box, there are two holes in the gear that the pin on the eccentric rod can fit into, one closer to center gives you a 90 degree sweet, the one further from center gives a wider sweep. The one I'm using on my truck is from some kind of late '80s (I think Mitsubishi) hatchback. Older Jeep Cherokees use the same one. Only drawback is that it's single speed but it's better than vacuum wipers. There are two basic varieties of these motors--one type has a bell crank that rotates full circle and connects to a linkage that creates back and forth motion for a wiper that is not directly attached to the wiper motor. The other variety mounts the wiper arm directly to the shaft from the motor gearbox. On both, you have an eccentric rod that changes rotary motion to back and forth motion (again steam locomotive side rods). Just a matter of whether that eccentric is internal (on the ones where the wiper arm mounts straight to the shaft) or external (bell crank to work the eccentric rod).

12. krgdowdall

krgdowdall
    from Alberta

Check out a Mini Cooper Clubman 6 Door. (Around 2017) The rear doors have small wipers on them. One parks left the other right. Can't be very large do to the size of the car, the arms are about 12 inches long. Being a BMW they will probably be expensive.

13. Clik

Clik

Good info all. Thanks.

14. Mimilan

Mimilan