Register now to get rid of these ads!

History *More Print Magazines GONE* (12/06/2019)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Malcolm, Dec 6, 2019.

1. toml24

toml24

I live very close to the presumably HQ building for Motor Trend magazine. I've never seen a photo shoot in the area for the latest OT cars or trucks, or even a prototype. I live in the land of a Tesla in every driveway. I guess I'm happy for them.

2. ...find it hard to believe Hot Rod Deluxe and Street Rodder are gone,..I have virtually every issue of each along with hundreds of other titles....at least there are still other mags still out there for us diehard magazine guys.

3. What am I going to use in "The Reading Room" now? I can't or won't carry my laptop in there!

4. 1940Willys

1940Willys

Sad indeed, the progression for me was Sally, Spot Dick and Jane. Unk them Varmits, DragToons, Hotrod Toons Mini Bike Mag, HotRod , Street Rodder and Hot Rod Deluxe. The prices are gonna sore at the swap meets! These days I'm a lifetime member at The Rodder's Journal. The only eye candy I need, each issue eagerly awaited. Thanx, Steve Coonan DSCN3333.JPG

LTM75110 likes this.
  5. sidevalve8ba, I guess you'll just have to grab a "vintage" magazine from your collection, to review while there.

sidevalve8ba likes this.
  6. poss51kustom

poss51kustom
    from ohio

I love HRD. I remember so many things in those mags. First it was Custom Rodder, now Street Rodder and HRD. a sad day in Hot rodders history.

7. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Kind of a shame. Even in this digital age where information is available at the push of your computers button always enjoyed holding the actual magazine. I grew up in the age where you actually looked forward to the postman bringing the latest addition and always kept old editions for reference. Also miss newspapers and sitting at the kitchen table with a cup of coffee before going to work and finding out what was happening in the world. Unfortunately papers quit reporting the news and became nothing but opinions most times not to my liking. In my area the daily paper became three times a week and the price kept going up for two day old news. I guess magazines have become dinosaurs in the age of instance gratification for people who no longer enjoy reading or for that matter have the ability to read.

8. mdcolby

mdcolby

Im going to support the new start up magazine "Speed and Kulture" the first issue is coming out soon. Check out there Facebook or Instagram for information

Tim and LTM75110 like this.
  9. j3harleys

j3harleys

I took all of mine dating from 1964 to my sons house. He was happy his wife was not.:oops:

10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Haha if all I came home with was a bunch of old magazines my wife would be thrilled lol

11. Ted, bring your truck by my place, and I'll load it up with old Magazines. :)Ron......

sidevalve8ba likes this.
  12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The Postman
    For years, my salvation, why, because EVERY time I opened that mailbox and saw that magazine (or three) my day just got brighter, whether it was a typical wet, gray Oregon day that had put me in a foul mood or a day my back hurt but still wanted to go out to the shop and work on a project, it would always change my outlook.
    After doing a quick "once over" of (my favorite) magazine I usually found at least enough motivation to go find even the smallest thing to do, funny, many times I'd even work longer than planned.
    The Postman, one of a handful of people I've always thought were "under appreciated".
    Guys, I forgot to ask what made me start this post in the first place, over the years there were times when a magazine seemed to take longer than usual to arrive and when it did I had a suspicion "someone" had already been going through it.
    Anybody else notice this?
    Man, the money I could have saved if I had become a mail man!

brad2v, dirty old man and pirate like this.
  13. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Sad state of affairs these days throughout the printed media industries, from magazines to newspapers.
    And the sour grapes posts about quitting reading such and such magazine long before they quit printing it are damned irritating, to say the least.
    If you quit reading/subscribing/ buying the magazine long ago or even last month, why do you feel the need to clutter up the thread with your sour grapes?
    Threads that bring out these posts make me wish for a "dislike" buttono_O

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  14. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Good news today from Hop Up -

2019-12-11_12-08-05.jpg

brad2v, Max Gearhead and Tim like this.
  15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

lurker mick and Max Gearhead like this.
  16. Cymro

Cymro

A sad day indeed, I looked forward to reading my monthly copy of Street Rodder, and miss the Hot Rod and Custom which I thought was more informative. The UK still has Custom Car and the relaunched Street Machine Magazines which are sometimes quite difficult to find without a subscription, as the supermarkets don't seem to want to stock them ( special order at the Newsagents).

17. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

BINGO!
    Example, I was a fourteen-year plus Subscriber to Chevy Hi Performance. I let the subscription go when the magazine shut down the "Performance Q&A" section by Kevin McClelland. The magazine really was of limited value after that.

18. Max Gearhead, williebill and Tim like this.
  19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

just received by a friend from HOP UP MAGAZINE - 20191211_191038.jpg NOT OUT OF BUSINESS

Tim likes this.