Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model a parts on hotrod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boden, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Boden

Boden

What stock model a running gear can be used on a hotrod? The rear, bones, driveshaft/torquetube, front axle, rims, trans. Never built a hotrod. But I saw a old farm trailer built on a model a frame still with the front and rear and rims. And trans and bones. And I bet I could get it for $100. Just wondering what would be usable out of it besides the frame.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Stogy likes this.
  2. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

3. Boden

Boden

??

4. rusty valley

rusty valley

what are you wanting to build?

5. Is this a riddle???

How many nuns does it take to build a hot rod??

6. Come on guys, give him a break, we want the young generation to get into hot rods. His profile shows born in 2005. Don't scare him off.

7. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Frame, rear spring, front spring, front wishbones, front axle.
    The rest is basically useless unless you are building a 1940's style car. The rear end is weak, nobody uses mechnaical brakes, and an A transmission is only good behind an A engine.

Flathead Youngin' and Boden like this.
  8. But save it all if you can,as Model A folks need parts too.Not just us hot rodders.

9. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And even behind an A engine, "good" is a matter of opinion. :rolleyes:

But seriously @Boden, if the frame is straight and crossmemebers unmolested, that alone is worth $200 to $300, at least around here. Front axel and bones have value, mabe the wheels (if decent). Don't think of it a hot rod project, however. Think of it as a means of helping fund a hot rod project. If it's at all decent, I'd grab it for $100 (provided I had a place to put it). If you're in doubt, take a few pics and post them.

kidcampbell71, Boden and Stogy like this.
  10. Don't let it be scrapped, the frame is worth it alone. And the wheels look good hanging on your garage!

lothiandon1940, Boden and Stogy like this.
  11. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I've sold several Model A rear ends in the $250 range, so even if you don't use it you could resell and gain some extra car funds. The front axle could be sent out and dropped, the wishbones can be used with it along with the frame.

clem, Boden and Stogy like this.
  12. @Boden where are located? Perhaps one or more of our members are in your area and would step up to give you some mentoring.

Boden and Stogy like this.
  13. Boden

Boden

Don’t worry about scaring me off. That’s pretty hard to do. I grew up around hot rodders. This ain’t nothin new to me. Haha

14. Boden

Boden

I’m in carmel New York. About and hour north of the city. I got a 53 ford custom line that I personally just rebuilt and souped up. I work at a machine shop 3 days a week. With the money I make I put it towards tools or parts for my car. The only reason I’m interested in this wagon is because it isn’t doin any good sittin there. And it would be a good start to s hotrod project. Basically clean it up and put it behind the garage for a while. I was just wondering what stock a running gear people use on their hotrod. So so far I have heard front end, wishbones, springs, perches, frame, and maybe, just maybe the rear.

15. Just having a little fun with him, he seems to fit right in around here. I save everything old I can.

Boden likes this.
  16. The value in that chassis is at you age theres a lot to be learned by taking it a part.Theres a chance that frame is bent after 60 years of hay bales.You are starting the hardest possible way for a very young person.I would recommend saving your money,and buying a older complete car that has a title.There are barn find cars ,and old hot rods that have sat in garages for years that would be a better starting point for a first time build.

Boden likes this.
  17. Boden

Boden

Yea. But I haven’t seen anything like that for less than 10 grand. And that would take years to save up.

Flathead Youngin' likes this.
  18. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

Use it all! Build a speedster with an "A" engine (or a flathead V8, if you can locate a reasonable one), run it at the TROG in New Jersey. Up-grade it as your budget allows.

Squablow and Boden like this.
  19. @Boden There is a hot rod shop less than 3 hours north of you in Saratoga, NY. and they build some pretty nice hot rods. Every year they have a "Garage Night" where they open the shop up to the public, you can check out some finished cars and cars in progress. This coming year it is on Feb 15th (kick off dinner the evening of the 14th).
    there will be a wealth of knowledge in that building and probably a bunch of hot rods with their skirts pulled up so you can get a good look at what is going on underneath. If you can get up there it would probably be well worth the trip for you. Just search Rolling Bones Hot Rod Shop and you will find the info on the party.

as for the Model A stuff, grab it. Its never to soon to become a hoarder ;)

Chappy

20. rusty valley

rusty valley

my experience with farm wagons is, yes they were usually abused. bent up, welded on, never greased etc, but i still take em when cheap. you still didnt say what you want to build, so i'll guess from the flat motor in your avatar some sort of an av8. i say go for it. if working on a limited budget you will have a frame to play with while shopping and planning the rest of the project. frame probably has a big sag in the rails, they all do, its an easy fix and the first thing to do when you get it all torn apart and ready to start.

21. Your going to find there are only a couple of sweet spots in life were you have both the time,and money to build a hot rod.Right now your too young to make real money.After 25 you will be married,and your money will go to raising kids,houses etc.From 50 on your making good money,the kids are grow,the house paid so you can build again.I still have my 32 PU from age 24.Now at 64 im collecting parts for a roadster.Try,and collect parts ,and save until you about 21 ,or so.By then you will have a half decent job,and some money to do a build. My advise.....never sell a hot rod.If you loose interest,or get busy in life store it.The urge will return,and you will still have it.Cant tell you how many times I have heard guys say"wish I hadn't sold my 32,or 40 coupe.Never sell.

Moselli, Boden and RiffRaffRoadster like this.
  22. Jim Huseby

Jim Huseby

23. All the parts are useful if you are building a four banger hot rod. That was what I had as my first hot rod, and I have my four banger cabriolet hot rod still, and it is a lot of fun.

the transmission and steering box would most likely be replaced by something more modern, but that is about it.

24. Jim Huseby

Jim Huseby

Model A power trains are perfectly wonderful and have nearly unlimited hop up potential for their own world, the spectacular world of vintage racing. A and B block powered sprint cars were still winning into the early 50's. The engines are relatively reliable if not hopped up beyond "reasonable expectations", a term I'm deliberately leaving undefined. But for instance, my daily driver shop truck has an A engine that has been line bored for inserts, has new inserted rods, has a slobber of oil pressure to the mains, lightened flywheel, hogged out ports, slightly larger valves, high lift/long duration cam, high compression head, twin carbs, header, free flow exhaust, etc. With a simple and easy lowering of the front and rear suspension, it cruises happily at 55 with my foot just resting on the throttle and I have to keep easing off to keep it under 60. That's with the stock final drive ratio of 3.78:1. It has adequate HP for any use I put it to, EXCEPT competing with modern cars, so you see its performance is relative. I have several friends who have serious hot rods who also own Model A's in various stages of hop up who claim the A is the most fun. I don't know if there is an explanation for the fun factor, but I agree with them. I work on Model A's more than anything else, drive mine EVERY day, sometimes on several errands per day and never stop grinning about it

25. Boden

Boden

That’s the point of this. To collect these parts. I already have my 53. That’s the main thing. I would just get this and put it on the outside of the garage just as parts for the day when I do build my hotrod

26. Boden

Boden

Yep. Rolling bones. My uncle is good friends with them.

Stogy likes this.
  27. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I've run the stock rearend with a flathead in two Model A's with no problems, the biggest difference between them and the V8 (32-48) is the ring and pinion is smaller, the axles are the same diameter. They won't take a lot of abuse but neither will the V8 rearend . Frame is a good start depending what you plan on building, need to be boxed for modern power. You could use the springs, front axle and split the wishbone, all of that is fairly traditional.

28. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

For $100 just go get it! You can always trade it or use it for something later.

29. Squablow

Squablow

As others have said, for a flat four build, it's all useable. At $100, I think you can't go wrong by grabbing it, breaking it down and stashing it. Even if all you end up using is the first few feet of frame with the frame horns and front crossmember, that was worth the price.

If you're planning a big V8, the trans and rearend and rear bones aren't going to work, but someone else might want them, so they're still worth saving.

I doubt this stuff is going to get easier to find in the future, so you'd be doing the right thing to grab this while you can and keep it somewhere safe.