Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Remember when vehicles rattled.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Old wolf, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Back in the day vehicles rattled. Even new cars sometimes rattled. Folks would spend time trying to find that elusive rattle. Now with so much rubber and plastic the newer vehicles don't rattle. One time this kid named Jolly Rocky Smith had a Studebaker and it was stripped down quite a bit. someone asked him what was going on. He stated it had a bad rattle so I just kept removing stuff until it quit!

2. garyf

garyf

When Detroit was fat and cocky they produced water leaking , wind noise,rattle traps. Then Japan made a long lasting quiet dry car. Then lead follow or get out of the way became necessary for Detroit to survive.

3. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Long lasting unless they turned into rust dust in front of your eyes.

4. Mine still does, and she squeaks too. I started calling her "Old Squeaky".

5. Country Joe

Country Joe

My car doesn't squeak or rattle at all . But, eventually, I start 'er up and start driving and Oh boy...She don't shut up...:D

6. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

My OT is a Power Wagon with a BT Cummins , rattles and squeaks , I don’t know what your asking about , I can’t hear them ! There is a certain RPM that the inside rear view mirror shakes worst than the mirrors on my Harley . It is really useless to have one , I’m surprised the windshield has not cracked . After driving it for a long time , then I get in my buggy spring suspension 32 , and thing Damn this thing rides as smooth as silk !

Desoto291Hemi, catdad49 and alanp561 like this.
  7. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

Ah yes, I know it well, why, it even groans once in a while!! Bill

8. jim snow

jim snow

The coupe rattles a lot. No worries I love it anyway. Snowman

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I would worry if it didn't

10. That's why God put a volume control on your radio....

11. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I will take a rattle from an old car any day instead of a lousy fart can noise from a rice burner.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It wasn't that old then but when Jean and I were first married and living in a little house in Texas (wish I had that 35.00 a month rent now) The teen age neighbor gal's boyfriend had a 59 or so Chevy that squeaked so loud that you could tell it was him coming down the street from a block away. Poor sucker could never sneak her in late or sneak by to get her to slip out late at night without the whole hood knowing.

Old wolf likes this.
  13. 62rebel

62rebel

They shall bray like jackasses to announce their coming... or squeak like 3500lb rats when they take a corner.... (every late model Ford SUV in existence)

Willy Lee and catdad49 like this.
  14. New cars still have an occasional rattle.
    I’ve built older cars that didn’t rattle but those were customers that paid for that.
    My personal ride rattles big time
    It’s how I remember them being.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    Nostrebor likes this.
  15. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I figure if the rattling stops...something must have fallen off...and I better go back and pick it up:D

weps, Willy Lee, dana barlow and 3 others like this.
  16. Budget36

Budget36

I think there was a part number for a rattle?

17. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My cars used to have more rattles than an Irish nursery, I used to swear about it all the time. God fixed it for me, deaf in one ear now, cars are a lot quieter. So is Mrs. Bandit. :cool:

18. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

You ain’t heard rattles and squeaks until you’ve ridden in a newer Freightliner! Every damn thing is plastic and snaps together like freaking legos, and as that plastic wears, it gets louder.

62Rebel, you’re right on the late model Ford suvs. We had a 2000 Expy, put all new stuff in the front end, new spring bushings in the rear, new shocks all around, and the damn thing still squeaked!

19. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife has a late model Ford Edge and it has some wind whistles that are annoying, not real loud but.....my F150 doesn't have that issue. However the 38 Holley Fuel pump is louder than the damn flowmasters with short pipes dumping out the side, wind noise??, just when it's moving, sorta like a motorcycle:)

20. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Victoria windows didn’t seal in 56 and still don’t.

weps, Old wolf and 62rebel like this.
  21. sunbeam

sunbeam

Metal rattles plastic squeaks

22. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

My Fairlane is as quiet as a new Cadillac.....until I start it.:)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    dana barlow likes this.
  23. gene-koning

gene-koning

When I'm driving down the highway at 60 mph, I can't hear a squeak or a rattle in my coupe. They are drowned out by the wind whistling past my head as I'm happily driving along with my arm out the window.
    I think louder mufflers will fix the squeaks and rattles I can hear while driving around in town.
    I don't have a radio, couldn't hear it anyway.

Really, the old coupe is pretty good. Squeaks and rattles drive me crazy. I hunt them down with a vengeance. Most of the stuff we own is pretty much squeak and rattle free. Either that, or my hearing loss is worst then I thought. Gene

62rebel likes this.
  24. at speeds over a 100 MPH the wind noise in a 56 htp abates. Then you hit a bump and the hood flys up!

alanp561 likes this.
  25. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

When I was a young-un, rattles in my dad's cars ('36 Dodge, followed by '47 Kaiser) used to drive him nuts. I can recall many occasions, riding down bumpy roads, lying in middle of the front seat with my head under the dashboard, systematically pressing a finger against suspect components in a generally vain effort to locate the guilty rattler.

bchctybob, olscrounger and alanp561 like this.
  26. My father once told me, " when they slaughter a pig they use every part for something, the squeal is put in chevys.".

27. Smiffy

Smiffy

What do you mean use to rattle? all cars my use to rattle and still do. I'm not joking either.

28. Something in my exhaust hits the crossmember but only makes noise when the car is cold. Once it warms up, no noise. I had someone do a real cob job on my exhaust and will likely need to have it done over.

I had a '64 Olds 88 when I was 18, that had an annoying rattle at the inside windshield garnish. I folded up a cereal box top and scrunched it in until the rattle stopped. Until someone riding shotgun, says "look at this cardboard jammed in here"... and takes it out. Instant rattle... I should have made him walk home.

alanp561 likes this.
  29. j3harleys

j3harleys

Just turn your hearing aids down, It works for me:)

30. My A has one rattle left... I know exactly where its coming from...and there is nothing I can do about it without redesigning the car.....LOL