Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Advances in Rubbing Compound

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Dec 9, 2019.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

My legacy remains intact: "He never painted anything that couldn't be rubbed out".

I take auto body at the local college. They gave me some compound to use at home over the semester break. It's 3M I'm pretty sure, it's green. Comes in 3 stages, I only got the 1st stage.

Man this stuff is fabulous, especially compared to the old tan compound I have. Doesn't fly off the work, dry and cake up, but best of all a few quick passes and the sand scratches are gone, don't even see swirl marks. I'm using a wool (?) pad on a high speed angle buffer.

Single stage white, I'm not even sure if I need the other stages for a beater hot rod. Stands to reason there have been advances in materials over the years. 1209191529_HDR.jpg

2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

When the fluids dry out you will see the swirls. A foam pad and the other steps will do wonders.

3. 3416A234-66B8-4098-874B-7673BAF55A06.png

I bought this stuff in a pinch one day and now I use it all the time. Works great by hand and with a machine.

loudbang likes this.
  4. This is the 3m we use
    B45C8A18-F3FC-4DFB-9B02-86741213DD2C.jpeg
    Post a pic of the compound. If there is something new I’m gonna talk to my supplier.
    As far as single stage being all ya need, ya can’t do what ya just did to single stage metallic

belair and kidcampbell71 like this.

5. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I don't have the jug, they gave me a coke can full. It's green, you can see it on the window frame above.

I'll most likely do the other stages when I go back to class in January, probably after it's back together and driveable.

6. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

It seems like every 5 years 3m is coming out with a new latest and greatest just a few dollars more product.

loudbang likes this.
  7. I've been using Wizards for my cut, but i still use 3M glaze.

loudbang and anthony myrick like this.
  8. HSF

HSF
    from Lodi CA

I still use 3M perfect it 2 but with a foam cutting pad. I stopped using wool many years ago. I also use Meguiars final inspection while buffing to check my work and clean any compound residue off. They're are a lot of good systems out there.

loudbang and flatford39 like this.
  9. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

I buy it bye the gallon . that's how bad I paint . my other compound is 600 wet paper

loudbang, raven and WB69 like this.
  10. 5window

5window

Well, maybe it is?

loudbang likes this.
  11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That 3M stuff is great, I bought the 3 big bottles of it, (not cheap) but definitely worth it.
    That and the 3M 3000 and 5000 foam backed discs to start with made buffing the SS paint on my RPU easy.

loudbang likes this.
  12. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Generally use the 3M products myself. Open to anything that works.

loudbang likes this.
  13. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

I use clean cut . no silicone . if you have to ,soap and wtr. and try again ! but ive never sanded or buffed thru the paint ,just heard of others doing it!!

loudbang likes this.
  14. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I always wait a long time for my paint to cure after painting, so I don't have any shrinking, or die back. Always go through 1000-1500-2000 and sometimes the DA with 3000 to color sand. I find the modern versions of compound to easily put a shine on the paint, but tend to lose it after washing. Tried several different brands, and most do the same. I finally started using some old Ditzler white compound for first cut, then the modern polishes, and it's much better. Not a fan of the modern stuff that gives a false shine!

blowby and loudbang like this.
  15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

When I first read the title of this thread I thought it was going to be about some fancy new massage creams ;):D:D:D

loudbang likes this.
  16. Smokeybear

Smokeybear

I use Wizards exclusively, I used to use 3M but I think Wizards does a better job at a lot better price. I start with Turbo Cut with a white foam pad, then Finish Cut on a black foam pad, then hand polish with Shine Master. IMG_3123 (002).jpg IMG_3124.jpg

17. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Yes! I painted my parts over a month ago. Areas that were smooth afterward are now orange peeled. I'm hoping it's done with that. I had a lot of primer underneath but it was catalyzed 2K stuff. Didn't use sealer.

You're confusing us with your other forum. :)

Wow, nice!