Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 65,000.00 What would you buy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 0NE BAD 51 MERC, Dec 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd have a decent 40 x 50 shop built and buy a used diesel crew cab and hot rod trailer with some of the rest.
    The rest of it would go towards getting my projects progressing nicely.

2. 1ton

1ton

When I met my wife I was happily driving a 1972 k20. She makes good money and decided that I should be driving a new truck. We bought a new Z71 pickup. An expensive pile of shit is what I got. Maybe built on a Saturday morning, I don't know. Had more problems than any old car or truck that I've ever driven. After the second failure of the ABS, that POS was gone. My summer DD is the 67 C30. Had to replace the ten year old battery this year. Other than that nothing but regular maintenance.

woodsnwater and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  3. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just to get a license on it here in Kansas would cost you another $5600 by the time you paid sales taxes and license fees.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  4. goldmountain

goldmountain

That would probably be enough to raise my garage enough for the hoist I otherwise couldn't afford and I still would procrastinate.

5. I would buy a certificate of self insurance. (you gotta deposit $50,000 ) you don't get interest but you can get it back. and a dealers licence. and drive whatever I happened to have.

6. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I've never had, nor will I likely ever have 65K cash to spend on a vehicle. I did payments once, lesson learned. BUT, if someone were to hand me the cash to do it with the stipulation I could only spend it on a vehicle, nothing else, not a new shop, not save it for my retirement, not finish an existing project, I would probably go looking for a finished or nearly finished Cobra kit car. It would have to have an FE and a Toploader. That would be non negotiable. There's lots of cars out there I would love to have, but that's one I will probably never, ever own in reality.

Devin

7. wild32hotrod

wild32hotrod

I know 65K is alot for a truck, but you have to think about it for a minute, if you are still working for a living and driving back and forth to work and say you are driving 80 miles around trip you need something dependable not saying all new cars are. If you're making 60K to 80K or more on your job a year, your new truck is making you money if you can't get to work you just lost 80k in one year. I'm not one for new vehicles but I have to have something dependable. just a way maybe to justify a newer vehicle just my thought

8. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

If I had 65K in cash I'd just rat hole it for a rainy day. I'm spoiled, I like driving nice rigs because I drive 30K+ miles a year but it's costly. Just got the 2020 taxes and license fees for my 2019 3/4 ton HD, 950.00. Vehicle taxes in Nebraska are outlandish.

9. wild32hotrod

wild32hotrod

Is that $950 a year to drive that truck in Nebraska?

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@krylon32 will probably respond to your question, but in the meantime I can tell you that some States have very different policies about vehicle taxes and licenses. I live in Illinois, but close to Iowa, and have several friends there. A late model vehicle pays a lot of money each year, but on a sliding scale, as the vehicle depreciates. I have to admit, I don't know how the total tax burden is distributed, may be there are 'compensations'...maybe not. It does seem, for reasons I don't understand, that Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota and, apparently, Nebraska, have some unusual policies/methods.

Ray

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  11. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I could think about that statement for a lot longer than a minute and still not agree with it.

66gmc and F&J like this.
  12. derbydad276

derbydad276

241 Hemi for my Coronet ... and have a enough left over to take it on Rt 66

0NE BAD 51 MERC likes this.
  13. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

65k is a ton of money for a pick up truck. It's freaking insane! I recall when pick ups were among the cheapest line of new vehicles. Now they're among the highest, right up there with Caddy's and Vette's!

I'd keep driving my 93 Chevy pickup that I'm still driving (bought new for $12500), put the rest towards the kids' College education and my retirement.

14. dan griffin

dan griffin

The sales tax on a new truck is about all I spend on any iron I buy.

15. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

An investment property

16. Had a lot of dealing with "military grade" aluminum when I was in the Navy; salt and airplanes made out of the stuff didn't go together well. Then in the truck shop, I got to see how aluminum cabs and frames got along with salt, not good either.

Hnstray and tb33anda3rd like this.
  17. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

I'd buy a finished all steel, 2" chopped, '34 3 window that is reliable with all the creature comforts and looks old.

0NE BAD 51 MERC likes this.
  18. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

That's $950 for taxes and license for the next year, not including insurance. It's insane compared to other states. As to HotRodsToHell if I'd of bought a new pu in 93 and used it for a daily driver until now there would be nothing left of the body or frame due to our winter weather plus as much as I drive I'd of had roughly 700,000 miles on it?

19. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Wow sure is a big price for that Ford heck my new Ram 3500 Cummings turbo diesel craw cab 4x4 was whole a lot less out the door for a whole lot more truck. Much better rig for towing West for Speedweek.
    Ronnieroadster

2deuces64 likes this.
  20. new trucks are for businesses that can use the tax benefit or need them to make $ with
    And folks that can afford them to look good at the home supply store or have the latest new rig at the you name it event.
    that being said, 65K wouldn't get much done at the shops I worked at so I guess its all relative.

21. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Acreage in Michigan's UP.

Driver50x and RICH B like this.
  22. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I´d buy 25 project cars.

23. $65,000, you’re looking at the cheap trucks.

New truck prices keep old truck prices up too, keeps the desirability of older trucks high as well.

olscrounger likes this.
  24. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Why does every post on here go off the RAIL! In my original post I said I stopped to check out the "COLOR" of a new F150 because one of my projects is a 52 Chevy and I want to paint it BLUE! When I saw the price tag I thought about all the possible "OLD" cars I could buy including a 56 F1 panel truck. NOT about wanting to buy a new truck! And yes if I actually had 65,000.00 dollars I would pay off my house and invest in my retirement. But those are not topics to discuss on the HAMB! This was suppose to be a "what if" fun thread.:( Oh well typical HAMB response, someone says " I want to do this" and it seems like 3/4 of you say "don't do that". It is no wonder most build threads and new members fade away so quick! Larry

25. Because this place is turning into a bunch of old curmudgeons complaining about everything lately.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. Deuces

Deuces

I have no comment....

27. Rramjet1

Rramjet1

Just don’t want to get one repaired. Only specially qualified dealers with a place dedicated to aluminum repair can deal with them.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. This...

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

29. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Power Hammer

RICH B likes this.
  30. gene-koning

gene-koning

What if I had $65,000 to spend?
    House and bills are paid. We are retired, life is good.
    My wife and I would really enjoy that trip all around the USA in our hot rod. We figured that north west loop we would like to start off with will take a month, or longer, and we figured food, gas, motels, and fun stuff to do would cost around $10,000. $65,000 would just about do the whole country....
    So who's handing out the money? Where does the line start? Gene

olscrounger and Hnstray like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.