Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cadillac flathead horsepower tricks

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 38FLATTIE, Feb 7, 2009.

1. jleblanc31

jleblanc31

Hay guys I just picked up a 41 Flat head off Facebook market place the previous owner unbolted the head to look at the pistons I want to cinch the head back down and see if it will run the previous owner said it ran but he was a young kid and didn't know what he was doing . LOL He handed me the voltage regulator when I bought the motor and said this is the brains of the motor ( the computer ) it will not run with out it . I just laughed and said ok . But anyway can you tell me the torque specs for the head.

2. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

The book say 65-70ft-lbs, but not all in one go, ease upto that.
    You will probably need a sequence drawing which somebody may have otherwise let me know and I'll work out how to post a copy for you.
    If you plan to run coolant you will need to thread seal the end of all your head bolts.

Make sure the crank turns by hand first, these engines have a habit of not turning easily for several reasons, the main one is valves seize and prevent the cam from turning which then stops the timing chain which stops the crank.
    Another test if it wont turn is to remove the timing chain to see if the crank will turn.
    If not your bores could be the problem.
    A lot of rust scale and crap seems to drop down into the combustion chamber due to the configuration of the exhaust manifolds which does not help things much...

Lets us know if it lives...

3. jleblanc31

jleblanc31

Lets us know if it lives...[/QUOTE]

The engine turns over I turned it when I picked it up. the kids said it was clean under the head. They obviously didn't know what they were doing cause they said it ran when it was in the car . Im assuming they thought it was a valve cover not a head when they took it off. The bolts are still loose so im going to take that one side off and look, like they did. I got a funny feeling this motor is freshly rebuilt. Otherwise I doubt they would have said it was clean. I will post some pics tonight.

Cyclone Kevin likes this.
  4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

5. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Yep, that is the manual I have also.

6. jleblanc31

jleblanc31

So it looks like it's freshly rebuilt. .30 over

Attached Files:

7. jleblanc31

jleblanc31

I will have to order one of those books I have a 58 and 70 but I dont think they will help me any.

8. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

What bore dia is your engine that will tell you for sure if it was a 322 or a 346 the engine i started with was a fresh rebuild too but it was a .40 over 322 I needed forged pistons so I bored it to standard 346 bore size of anyone needs them I have a set of .40 322 pistons with rings that are new I would part with a lot of those engines out there are army surplus engines like the one I have Flatcad engines are awesome

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

If this things gets up and runs, start your own build thread and we can follow you total progress.
    Is also very helpful for other following when they search up similar projects.

10. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

I have one but It’s very old and I have just begun to work on it again once I make some progress I’ll update it and post a link here

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

That would be great...

12. jleblanc31

jleblanc31

I was going to start a new thread . as soon as I get some boxing plates and the Model A cowl off a rusted out 4door that is at a friends house I will start mocking things up. I also need to source exhaust gaskets cause a few are missing.

13. 346cad/36ford

346cad/36ford
    from Australia

Just 2 days short of a year since the last post here,, if fiftyV8, 38FLATTIE, Colin, Dennis, are still about.. the finished article..

Attached Files:

Jeff34, fauj, RustyDogg and 2 others like this.
  14. just beautiful............

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

That is amazing. Good job.

16. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

I have been through just about every post of this tread here and was really looking for info on porting, valve angles, lighter 3 groove buckets, maybe some Dyno numbers. Ideas on cam regrinds...
    Anyone got some real meat & potatoes on these bad boys?

17. Bullington

Bullington
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Happy Fourth of July. Checking out to see if anyone has spare lifters or speed equipment kicking around.

18. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

I have 3 or 4 lifters, a lifter housing bar, some valves and some other small valve string parts left over from the original Flat Cad research project. The lifter bar has a small mod to it but can be easily put back to stock. You can have the stuff for the postage or come get it. I am near Mt Rainier.

loudbang likes this.
  19. 1ton

1ton

Just picked up a 1930 caddy v8 353 flathead with the toploader syncrotrans. This is one strange engine compared to what we all know as normal. Has the aluminum crankcase with cast iron cylinders. Got a service manual for it and found some odd things about it. Has three point mounts, two on the rear and one center at the front. Crankshaft is not exposed at the front and the only belt on it drives the fan off of the camshaft. Generator and water pump are internally chain driven off the crank. Has a dual point distributor where one set of point runs four of the cylinders and the other set drives the rest. Distributor has four lobes on it. Reason is that the timing is odd fire so they had to offset the second set of points to fire four of the cylinders at different degree rotation. Book shows that it has adjustable roller lifters in it. Camshaft has an eccentric at the rear of the block to run a vacuum pump which runs the wipers and the vacuum powered fuel system, which came with it. Heads have HC cast on them which indicates optional high compression. There is no dipstick. It has a floating indicator that comes up through the valley that shows oil level. And the trans has a PTO on it that, when engaged, runs a tiny air compressor for filling tires when needed. Not sure what I am going to do with it. At 950 lbs. it seems that it would be awful heavy to use in a hot rod. If I do tear into it, I will start a thread following what I do to it. For now, all I got to say is, Hmmm.