Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Squeal - Throwout Bearing, Pilot Bushing or?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Dec 9, 2019.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Got a squeal when letting the clutch out on brisk takeoff. Maybe the pilot bushing but not sure.

Running while stopped, clutch in, out or in between, in or out of gear - no squeal
    Moving with clutch in or out- no squeal
    Easy starts - no squeal
    Hard starts, squeal begins with letting out the clutch, goes away when clutch fully out. Almost a groan, like when you first get out of bed in the morning.

Thinking it's the pilot bushing while the input shaft catches up with the crank, but again it's quiet when stopped, in gear with clutch in.

Any other testing I can do?

2. garyf

garyf

The trans. Will have to come out for any of the above, you will see the offender.

3. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Thanks. Hate to take it apart and not find it, or worse put it back together and find out it's something in the trans.

So I was just searching and came upon this. Describes my problem but I don't understand the explanation. Anyone?

Step 2: Listen for sounds as you release the clutch pedal. In some cases, the throw out bearing will make noises as you release the clutch. This is commonly caused by the center bearing grinding on the flywheel as it's moving towards the transmission.

from: https://www.autoblog.com/2016/12/12/how-to-troubleshoot-a-car-with-clutch-noise/

4. that above statement makes no sense. if your throwout bearing is touching the flywheel, you have bigger problems.

I would suggest getting a new pilot bushing and a throwout bearing. I tend to replace both if im in there just for good measure. Also What trans motor combo is it? are you using an adapter or original bell housing?

When the trans is out, check the input shaft bearing in the trans. Ive seen those get loose and make all kinds of sounds yet still drive just fine while it slowly grinds the trans apart....

5. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What kind of friction material are you running on the disc? I've heard more than a few med. duty trucks with metallic disc's make the kind of noise you're describing.
    After awhile they get glazed from the heat and make a groaning/ squealing sound.

6. just Mike

just Mike

Had the exact same symptoms as you on a sm420, was the brass pilot bushing wallowed out, everything else was good.

7. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Hey thanks guys. Ford with a T5, stock stuff. I had assumed pilot bushing but it's quiet stopped in gear with clutch in (crank is spinning, input shaft not) but I guess it could only do it under load. Or the clutch disc, that's a thought. Only happens on hard takeoffs, I try to avoid it, as noted I hope it's not the input bearing wearing out the trans.

Hope to keep driving it until it needs clutch work.

Yeah that explanation from the link I posted makes no sense to me either.

8. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Can you remove your floor transmission cover and remove the transmission inspection plate?
    That will allow you to hear where squeal is coming from as you depress clutch.

blowby likes this.