Register now to get rid of these ads!

1955 White 3000 COE Hauler build

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Jamister1, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Jamister1

Jamister1
    from Medford OR

4th gen car guy here, been aware of the HAMB for years but never subscribed. I like to document my builds and wanted a platform for this one as its gonna be crazy.
    My great grandpa was a former VP at White back in the 1920's. My dad and I have always had an interest in them and the White 3000 in particular. Finally found one and pulled the trigger this summer. Shipped it from Tacoma Wa to southern Oregon. Here's where we are at so far.
    Bought the truck in June. It had a lot of good looking friends, good thing I'm not rich or I'd bring them all home. Took a month or so to ship it home.
    20190708_145047.jpg

It's the perfect size for a hauler. 16' of frame behind the cab. It's a former concrete truck for the city of Orville Washington.

20190708_150900.jpg

00e0e_cgDgGFVrkfa_1200x900.jpg

2. Jamister1

Jamister1
    from Medford OR

My car trailer would have cried dragging it home. Hired a company and the guy picked it up with his 1 ton Dodge Cummins but it blew the radiator so he swapped to his Toyota Tundra for the rest of the trip. Cracks me up because I'm a Toyota guy.
    20190724_113345.jpg
    Got the cab tilted pretty quickly. It was mechanically complete except for the electric cab tilt mechanism. Used a winch and various ratchet straps. Sketchy but doable.
    20190725_110647.jpg
    My dad felt the need to hear it run so we put some plugs and wires in it along with a jerry can and electric fuel pump. Ran great but no brakes or clutch pedal.

3. Jamister1

Jamister1
    from Medford OR

These things have interesting clutch and brake master cylinders. Half ass tried to get them functional but also didn't really care about it too much. They are accessed through this little crank out door.
    20190804_132835.jpg

First things first, get cab tilt functional without the ratchet straps. I like stupid simple mechanical thing. Bought a hydraulic cylinder and manual 2 way jack off of ebay. A little welding and some big beefy bolts later and we have full tilt.
    20190902_114914.jpg

4. Nice start, sounds like you are planning on keeping the stock frame. What's on the plan for engine and trans, or suspension?

Sent from my SM-J337V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kidcampbell71 likes this.

5. Jamister1

Jamister1
    from Medford OR

I intend to drive the piss outta this thing up and down the west coast. That means totally modern drivetrain... found a 99 f550 4wd for a donor for $500. Not what you think... not doing a chassis swap.
    20190912_140442.jpg

Removed the important parts. Did I mention I'm a 4wd kinda guy? I live in the heart of the Cascades, barn finds and vehicle purchases often involve mud, dirt, snow and lots of fun!
    20190917_095907.jpg

The cool thing about the f550 is all of the mounts for the axles unbolt... another cool thing is that the rear frame width is IDENTICAL to the White frame. Who da thunk?
    By swapping to these axles we gain: 19.5" medium duty tires and rims, 4 wheel disc brakes, freeway gears, reasonable leaf spring pack, limited slip, 4wd obviously and easily replaced parts.
    20190918_141106.jpg

Out with the old in with the new.
    20190918_144008.jpg

Did I mention it was the EXACT SAME WIDTH! Used one of the old hanger bolt holes for each side for the front mount so no measuring or guessing involved.
    20190918_170638.jpg

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  6. Jamister1

Jamister1
    from Medford OR

Decided to yank the old flathead 6 before tackling the front axle. Cool old engine but 125 hp and no overdrive ain't gonna cut it. Pulled the trans first so I didnt break my cherry picker in half.
    20191007_101742.jpg

Then out with the old lump. Did I mention this thing weighs 2 crap tons! That's a lot of crap!
    20191007_133713.jpg

7. brady1929

brady1929

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

this should be pretty cool.

9. Jamister1

Jamister1
    from Medford OR

Not sure why but I don't have any pictures of the front axle going under. It was SUPER sketchy. Used two high lift jacks and the chain hoist dangling from the ceiling. The mounts for the axle aren't completely done but the main components are done and intact enough to hold the weight of the truck. Gonna have to add a few add a leafs to the front. It's way too soft.
    20191207_172406.jpg

One bummer is how inset the front tires are. Lost about 3" of height compared to the old 20" rims and tires. May need to get some custom rims with no offset. Unfortunately the early years of super duty are a super oddball 8 lug pattern. Bigger than a f350 and only used for 4 years or so. Probably need to get some bigger 19.5 tires too. These are a 225 I believe, would love to move up to a 265.
    20191207_172353.jpg

10. Jamister1

Jamister1
    from Medford OR

And here's the donor engine, brand new auto trans and transfer case... 96 dodge p-pump cummins... or as we like to call them a Cummins shipping crate!
    20191029_122030.jpg

kidcampbell71, Bleach, b-bop and 2 others like this.
  11. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

The city my grandmother lived in used white 3000 for refuse trucks. Always liked the design of the cab. What are your plans for the rear? Ramp, roll back, pickup style, semi enclosed? There was a local dirt roundy round racer who built a ramp style hauler for his old coach modified using White Mustang about the same year as yours. Had a tire rack and a big tool parts compartment under the front end of the ramp. The late 30's body of the racer looked real good with the White cab. His was original drive train with an straight open stack exhaust.

12. Great job on the axle and spring swaps. Having the donor is the way to go for both suspension and engine, transmission and transfer case. Lots of parts that can be used beyond the large pieces.

Sent from my SM-J337V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

This might fit in better over in antiquated than here on the main board. That is if it doesn't get zapped for the OT engine....

14. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

It's not much different than using a Speedway front axle a 9" rear and a small block Chevy to power it.

VANDENPLAS and alanp561 like this.
  15. gatz

gatz

That's gonna be a great hauler. Really like the looks of those old COEs.
    Good choice of engine/xmsn too.
    What's the plans for the cab? Leave the advert ?

16. jaracer

jaracer

Very interesting. A friend of mine in Portland had done quite a few heavy truck restorations/custom builds. Sloan's body shop and tavern, the perfect combination.

tractorguy likes this.
  17. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Good decision on swapping drivetrain . Easy to source parts and drive ability. i don't think many of those Whites really went out on the road. Most were for in town cartage. Me, I would have opted for the COE Diamond-T.

18. Jamister1

Jamister1
    from Medford OR

I am undecided on the cab. I dont like shiny paint, I was thinking of maybe doing a semi gloss olive drab and then sand it out a little so the yellow shows through in spots.
    A rollback bed would be pretty cool but they are fairly complicated and expensive. I may just do a tilt bed and ramps at least for the first iteration. I'd like to be able to use it to haul stuff to the dump and scrap metal and landscape refuse as well. A simple dump mechanism would allow that as well as smooth out the ramp to truck transition for a low car. I'll probably have to do some sort of double 6' ramps with a center support. Not sure how well that will work out but I'd like to try it at least. I have a 12k warn winch that will sit at the front of the bed and be able to use it front or rear to pull up old cars or get me unstuck.
    I have a low 65 nova that I'll be taking to the dragstrip next year and I can't wait to see it on the back of this thing. My dad is building a 39 Chevy rat rod custom that will look great on there going to shows too.

19. guffey

guffey

I would try some rubbing compound on the old paint before doing a fake patina job You might be surprised how that yellow comes out. I like helicopter cab Whites bigal 3 002 (3).jpg

20. goldmountain

goldmountain

Like your project and hope it doesn't get canned by the moderators. Scan-191208-0001.jpg

Big AL Neenyo, The37Kid and Okie Pete like this.
  21. LilBlue82

LilBlue82

Dude i loove the Hot wheels on the back wall. I fully intend on doing the same thing to my own shop
    Sent from my LG-M327 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. rusty valley

rusty valley

34" width of frame rails is the industry standard for trucks, so that why the axles fit. cool truck you got there, i did a 47 diamond t with the 5.9 cummins years ago. i have made two roll back decks using just 4" channel iron sliding inside of 5" channel iron. no plastic sliders, no rollers, nothing but iron sliding on iron, worked fine, you wont wear it out in your lifetime

rod1 likes this.
  23. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

This really brings back memories , when I started my job at the power company 40 years ago , they used these with a box behind the cab that would hold 4 of us . That was the pipeline gang . Me being a gear head , I caught the Boss off the job and wired in an ignition cut out switch in the box . It made real fun going down a long grade , probably exploded a half dozen mufflers in my time on that crew . The box only had 2 small side windows , and a buzzer in the cab if you needed a relief call . The rear of the truck had a utility box with a bumper mounted crane and a jib crane you attach that went over the cab and attached to the front bumper , kinda in an A frame looking affair to move large heavy tie in sections or lengths of pipe we welded together . Those were the days , manual labor at its best . The truck had engine powered , compressor and and welder . This took a weak mind and a strong back to work for years on this rig . This is probably why I’m so busted up today . I never smoked one cigarette of my own in my life , just 10 million second hand ones riding in the “ BOX “ . Kinda Cool Hand Luke , sounding isn’t it !

b-bop and tractorguy like this.
  24. Jamister1

Jamister1
    from Medford OR

Being new to the board I dont understand why it would get canned by the moderators? Isn't the definition of hot rodding putting newer bigger better parts on a rig? Or is it in the wrong section of the forum or what?

25. rusty valley

rusty valley

the main forum is in theory cut off at 1965. you really cant just cut it with a knife because of things made for many years, small block chevy is prime example, or updated brakes, so there is a grey area. your cummins motor and 550 axles are not in the grey area. that doesnt mean you will not find enthusiasm here from members with similar interest and/or experience, just not what the main forum is about, that is old hotrods. your thread is not canned, it got moved to the relatively new "antiquated" section which is kinda for old stuff in general. hope i put this all out correctly, i am no moderator, just an occasional poster. love your truck, who wouldnt?

brEad and tractorguy like this.
  26. Alaska Model A

Alaska Model A

This is great stuff! I just picked up a 39 GMC COE and I’m planning on building a hauler out of it as well. Looking forward to following your build! Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Ed Angel likes this.
  27. Jamister1

Jamister1
    from Medford OR

Glad to know it won't get deleted and just got relocated. I've never really fit in anyway! :)
    Love the story deathrowdave!
    Some interesting things we've found on this truck:
    Service doors on each side. One side has an adjustable flap to let air in/ out of the cab which seems really odd. It goes to a fake floor in the package tray. Anyone know why or is it really a cab vent?
    20191209_105841.jpg
    This service box is attached to the dash but its locked so we need to figure out how to open it. I'd consider leaving it on if we can get inside. Neat old artifact.
    20191209_105851.jpg

Tons of leg room in this old girl. Its surprisingly roomy. I'm 6'1" and I have all kinds of room. Seats are in good shape.
    20191209_110353.jpg

Ceiling mounted glove box is pretty cool too. This is in the middle above the uni-sun visor.
    20191209_105918.jpg

28. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

really like your choice of axles and drivetrain... i'll be watching this one, thanks for posting pics

29. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

That round “Servis Recorder” is just that, a recorder. It took a round sheet of paper, and as the truck was driven, a pen made a graph line on the paper showing speed and time. Some were driven with a cable like a speedometer off of the engine governor, others were just a simple clock spring you had to wind up. The key lock was so once the boss put in a new paper graph in the morning, the driver couldn’t alter what was recorded. They would keep up with how long and how fast the truck was driven. Sort of like the electronic logs we have to run on trucks now, just a manual version.

It might be worth a dollar or two to a restorer, especially if you can get it open without destroying it.

30. Jamister1

Jamister1
    from Medford OR

Donor truck died yesterday! Believe it or not the Cummins doesn't weigh nearly as much as the flathead 6 we took out of the white.
    20191210_141149.jpg

Engine in foreground, trans and transfer case by the front wheel of the truck, warn 12k getting a rebuild for the flat deck sitting on a stand by the garage door.
    20191211_112629.jpg

Pile of parts to reuse. Trans mounts, exhaust, brake master cylinder and booster, front and read driveshafts... this thing was a gold mine!
    20191211_111418.jpg

And in the dumb redneck department
    .... I had to steer the donor dodge around the butt of the White while pulling it with my buddy's truck. All of a sudden it picked up a bunch of speed and took off down the driveway passing me by. It narrowly missed the bed of my buddy's truck, missed grandmas fence and crashed into the bushes while I ran after it. I went from "oh $hit!!!!" to laughing hysterically. Time to get the White back in the shop!
    20191211_120921.jpg