Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects SHOEBOX BARGAIN PROJECT

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29StudeDude, Dec 3, 2019.

Tags:
  1. 62rebel

62rebel

The '49 door handle pulls outward like a refrigerator handle. The '50 is the normal one used for the next 20 years. The trunk latch might be easier to change. I've only had two '51's to work with, never had a '49 so far.

loudbang and 29StudeDude like this.
  2. 62rebel

62rebel

I left the hood attached to the front clip on my '51's when I took the clips off, it helped keep the alignment squared up. Two people can handle it easily, I have put them back on by myself, but it isn't easy alone.

3. 29StudeDude

29StudeDude

Today's progress: Radiator out, top of radiator support out, headlights and front turn signals out, and one grill piece out. The dirt photo shows how much dirt was packed between the headlight bucket, and the front, lower corner of the fender. KIMG0057.jpeg
    It was this bad on both sides. I don't know how it didn't eat a hole in the fender near the grill! KIMG0056 (1).jpeg KIMG0055 (1).jpeg

4. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

All your balljoints, tierod ends etc. have their nuts?
    upload_2019-12-6_6-50-57.png

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  5. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Nice buy. Looks better without the grille guard. It didn't do it's job the grille still took a hit. :(

40FORDPU, loudbang and 29StudeDude like this.
  6. 29StudeDude

29StudeDude

It's off the front sheet metal, and will be replaced, so there's it's grave!

1947knuck, low budget and loudbang like this.
  7. loudbang

loudbang

Real clean, almost major rust free, GREAT find.

1947knuck, TomT and 29StudeDude like this.
  8. Wild guess here, but that could be '68 Ford 'Presidential Blue'. I think Ford re-hashed it in the 80's as a truck color. Might be worth a look.

9. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Looks like a castle nut that usually isnt used on sheet metal, I try not to throw anything away until I have its replacement, and even then old nuts and bolts go in a old bucket for hard times:D

loudbang, 62rebel and Ford52PU like this.
  10. What a great find you got there young man! You might get some ideas from what I went through the last 8 years doing mine. Check it out. Be sure to look at the gallery about the hood hinges. The 49ers were awful.
    https://49fordcoupe.smugmug.com/

loudbang likes this.
  11. manyolcars

manyolcars

I love your car. Dont ever sell it.
    In 1967 I bought a 47 Mercury and everywhere I went people told me they regretted selling theirs.So I still have mine

12. 29StudeDude

29StudeDude

It is a lot smaller than a castle nut, and it isn't a cotter pin type nut. Ford just put little lines in them for some reason. When a rusty nut or bolt breaks or strips coming off, it gets tossed. If I can't figure out where I need new bolts, i have no business doing this project. Lol.

1947knuck, loudbang and 62rebel like this.
  13. 29StudeDude

29StudeDude

Amen brother! It has taken me too many years to find a decent one to ever sell.

1947knuck and loudbang like this.
  14. 29StudeDude

29StudeDude

Thanks for the help. My hood was torn off one hinge, and the corner was bent back on the other side, due to the hinge not moving.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  15. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Yep, I dont keep the bad ones either unless its a special type that I need one to go by...like a shoulder bolt on a 56 ford truck hood hinge for example, not sure what all fords had those bolts but anyway;) carry on:)

16. road zombi

road zombi

oh yea...well catched box...will you give her also a little more power than in original?

17. 29StudeDude

29StudeDude

Plans call for a 390 cfm single 4 barrel, performance cam, headers, and maybe aluminum heads. Not a race engine, but a good running Flattie.

18. Before you start throwing cash at shoebox central, call Roger at 620.680.0449 for parts...be patient with him.....

19. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

You said it did not come with a Title. How much is involved in your state to get current registration? I would get that taken care of before I would go to far. Finding a build project and fulfilling a dream is all of our hopes, but some state DMV's can be a real buzz killer. Good luck with the build and continue to post updates. Larry

20. road zombi

road zombi

OK...think that´s good for having cool trips over the streets. Never had a flattie, mostly like the OHV´s in cause of having more power, but some friends of me are driving this engines in different power-styles

loudbang likes this.
  21. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

The clock will be right twice a day

29StudeDude and loudbang like this.
  22. leon bee

leon bee

23. Slopok

Slopok

Those are known as Van Auken accessory bumper & grille guards, or as we used to call them, monkey bars. They were often placed on the rear of a lot of cars. Made for some good place to grab onto when skiching a ride in the winter! The things we did as kids, amazing we survived.

loudbang likes this.
  24. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Well, i have done that. I bought a NOS '49 door from ebay for my '51 and project. The '50 and '51 are pretty much same, but the '49 is a completely different story. There's a brace plate for the door handle, inside of the door skin. I get rid off that, welded all the holes shut on the door skin. I used a Lincoln style pushbuttons, so i made a hole for those. Then i welded all latch holes shut and made new ones for the '50-'51 latch. I am not sure what kind of dovetails '49's have, but i guess they are different too.
    There's a channel on the door, for the opening bar that is connected to the interior side door handle.
    The channel is pretty much same, but the end of the channel on the door latch side is different. I cut that off and cut off a donor piece from the crappy '51 door i had and used that. So, its possible to do, but it takes some work. You have a better access for doner pieces and parts, than we europeans do. So that will make it a lot easier job to do.
    I guess the easiest way to do it, is to buy 50 or '51 doors and work only with the dovetails on the B-pilar. I hope this helps.
    There's some pics of the latch conversion operation in my build thread.

25. 29StudeDude

29StudeDude

Not sure it fits a stock on the outside, 2 inch lowered slight custom inside type of a build. Jury is still out, also due to what it costs to re-chrome.

26. 29StudeDude

29StudeDude

Ebay has tons of them for sale, but do any of them work? I would love to put a tach there, if they make one that fits.

1947knuck, nochop and loudbang like this.
  27. 29StudeDude

29StudeDude

I have gotten titles in my state before, and it's not that bad. It will just have a Bonded Title for 3 years, then I can get a normal one in my name, that follows the car forever.

28. 29StudeDude

29StudeDude

Can he ship hoods and fenders?

29. 29StudeDude

29StudeDude

I had thought about the Lincoln push buttons as well! It may be easier to just install the bear claw style street rod latches, and install a striker bolt on the B pillar side. They stay closed better as well than the stock stuff! Thanks for the info!

1947knuck, Greg Rogers and loudbang like this.
  30. That clock can be fixed. Go to my website and check out the tips and tricks gallery.