Register now to get rid of these ads!

1965 H.A.M.B. year restriction

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by Monte 123, Dec 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monte 123

Monte 123

Seems odd to me this year limit. You see it in car shows as well. 1965 is going to be 55 years ago in a few weeks. I get having a limit, but a never moving limit that's becoming ancient history really doesn't make much sense in a hobby that I think most of us would like to see growing, not becoming more exclusive. That 70's Cadillac in my avatar, although a true custom in the traditional sense with its top chop and other body mods, is not welcome and would be deleted if posted. This is not the open minded mentality that started "custom" car building in the first place, that's for sure. I'll be quite surprised if even this survives the attitude here.

2. Haven't even been here 3 months and you want to change the whole concept of what this place is all about.:eek:

3. Monte 123

Monte 123

Yes, that's what creative and open minded people do, reject stale attitudes.

4. You can always start your own site with your rules if you don't like this site owners rules That's how alot of new businesses, organizations, etc. have gotten started over the years.

5. lake_harley

lake_harley

Stale attitude? You've been barking up the same tree "why don't you like my '70 Caddy discussions?" since you joined in, what....Sept '19.

I do plenty of OT things but don't insist on discussing them here.....it's just not the place.

Lynn

6. Monte 123

Monte 123

How about a couple replies to the actual question instead of the mob getting mobilized.

The validity of a restriction that in time can only shrink the hobby, not grow it.

7. MONTE 3 , 2 , 1 , Poof. Here's the reason. This site is not about you or me. It's about the history of Rod and Kustoms before Mustangs, muscle cars, street rods, r rods, etc. It's Ryan's site, and we love it as is. He won't change what's not broken.

8. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I lost interest in the NSRA when they moved the year limit on their events, this is a site for traditional cars. I agree your car is a custom but doesn't fit with the site. Guess I'm just an old fart set in my ways.

427 sleeper and lothiandon1940 like this.
    • I should add to my earlier post that I also have a 70's chopped top car (70 Camaro) . So I guess you would consider me to have a creative and open minded mentality. I don't think the HAMB has a stale attitude that needs to be rejected though.

427 sleeper and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. Monte 123

Monte 123

Still waiting

10. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

The HAMB waas born in 1994 (IIRC). It'll last another 25 years with the same preaching of the gospel of TRADITIONAL hot rods and customs. It's Ryan's yard. If you don't like it, take your ball and find another yard too play in. There are hundreds of other forums that cater to a much broader audience. It's ok if not everyone and/or their cars don't fit in here.

11. lake_harley

lake_harley

You didn't post a question, you posted a statement that you felt the HAMB was in error in it's ways of doing things.

Lynn

12. It's great that you've come aboard Monte 123 to enlighten us on your views..I'm sure the changes you suggest will be put into place immediately.
    I have no idea why a sight that caters to traditional Hot Rods and Customs from a specific time period wouldn't continually change that time period..what the Hell must Ryan be thinking?
    Please post pics of your '70 Cadillac as I'm sure it will be the car that forever changes the criteria for this site.

13. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

As a contributor who early on has had a post of mine deleted as being off-topic I have come to understand the philosophy of this site. I get it.

Would someone who has an interest in ancient Egyptian archaeology welcome a sliding scale that brings more modern Egypt into the mix?

Many here have an interest in the early years of this hot rod phenomena. That does not necessarily include following the emergence of rodding progress (or its decline, depending on your outlook) through the decades. It just means we like to study, learn, and celebrate its roots.

14. Do I detect some sarcasm here?;)

40FORDPU likes this.
  15. Plenty of Cadillac forums, and clubs you can join ... that don't try to capture a specific era.

This site is set, prior to bland automation ... & the disappearance of factory workmanship & character present by individuals building their own cars ... with hand tools & backyards.

Case in point ... park your car beside any stock or modified 1965 & earlier Cadillac.

Anyhoo' ... site specs' below >>

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/guidelines-the-traditional-hot-rod-forum.828348/

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/guidelines-the-traditional-custom-forum.828351/

bowie and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. adam401

adam401

This place is about preserving a snapshot in time. Specific year cars and how they were modified in a specific place in time. Thats it. That's all. Simple. It doesnt mean that there arent other cool vehicles in the world that some of us might also be into. This isn't the place for those.

town sedan, Thor1, bowie and 2 others like this.
  17. 1965 was when things changed. Muscle cars came to be, and a car payment would buy a vehicle that was faster than the typical home built rod. This site recognises cars built by enthusiasts in the style before that time. My big block muscle car has no place here any more than your caddy does.

bowie, Moriarity and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. Monte 123

Monte 123

It's about the thinking in this hobby in general, Ryan didn't invent it.

It doesn't have to "continually" change like a rolling year, but it definitely needs an update.

It absolutely is contrary to what custom cars are all about, no limits. The cut off year I do think is advantageous for focus, but a immovable year when it's more than a half century old, is counter productive to this hobby. That's obvious

19. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Ok, Here is your answer. The Hamb has a very narrow focus and is not for everyone. It isn't meant to be for everyone. The internet is a huge place and there is a forum for every segment of every hobby/interest imaginable. This place is not broken and does not need fixing. I have cars that don't fit the guidelines here and that is ok, I just don't post about them. This is Ryans site and his vision. There is a tremendous knowledge base here. If this doesn't feel like home to you then I am sure there is a forum out there that does. If it does feel like home then by all means stay and enjoy it. For crying out loud don't try to change it, It won't work......

20. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

oh yeah, I moved this thread to questions and suggestions , where it belongs....

21. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

You actually can have a 65 year model as long as it resembles its 64 year model year. i.e.; 65 chevelle

22. Monte 123

Monte 123

That's just ridiculous, no comparison if you think a restoration or some sort of restomod is the same as a custom or old school hot rod.

23. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

No more waiting Monte.

Apparently you don’t like the HAMB and that’s ok.

The HAMB is not for you .
    Many have come here and many have left with not understanding the HAMB.

The HAMB is about the history of traditional hot rods and custom cars from 1965 and earlier.

That’s the enjoyment of this website.
    It’s not to evolve into cars in the 70’s-80’s - 90’s and beyond.

Stale minds are those instead of learning from history, respecting that history and enjoying it for what it is, instead try to change history.

That’s not going to happen on the HAMB as this website is to respect history and to enjoy it for what it is.......

Traditional hot rods and custom cars 1965 and earlier.

Thanks,

24. Monte 123

Monte 123

LOL, what took so long!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.