Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What to put on a spark plug insert?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Dec 6, 2019.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

What's the best thing to put on the threads of a spark plug repair insert? Locktite, JB?

Oh, aluminum head, steel insert.

2. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I never seal Helicoils! What are you using that the plug washer won't seal?

3. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

It's not a helicoil, it's a thick wall insert. Not looking for a sealant as much as something to lock the thing in. Sorry for misleading, I changed the title.

loudbang likes this.
  4. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For the best result I would install it exactly the way the manufacturer says to do it.

loudbang, Hnstray and lippy like this.

5. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

I have used this product and it worked flawlessly, maybe a call to them might help you with an answer.
    https://www.timesert.com/

loudbang likes this.
  6. The inserts I used at work, had a dab of lock sealant pre-applied to them. I can't verify what it was, though.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Boden

Boden

I work at a machine shop. We use red locktite. Always!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang and Elcohaulic like this.
  8. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

There's more than one kind of red - Loctite #271 is the "permanent" stuff, said to be good to 500° F.

loudbang likes this.
  9. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Research loctite 648 retaining compound. That might work for you.

loudbang likes this.
  10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Thanks guys. The guy that sold it to me, certainly no expert, said JB Weld, which sounded kind of odd. So yes some kind of anaerobic, high temp stuff. I will look into the suggestions. Always wondered what the difference is between the thread lockers (red) and the sleeve or shaft retainers (green usually).

loudbang likes this.
  11. I would say some green retaining compound would be fine, loctite makes it. The only time I have J B welded them in is on the newer ford engines that have a habit of blowing the spark plugs out. Ford says to J B those inserts in and let it set up.

flatford39 and loudbang like this.
  12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Interesting, that's what this insert is supposed to be for so I guess that's where he got his info. Ford says JB weld, that's odd. Are those heads alum?
    Thanks.

loudbang likes this.
  13. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Loctite makes several different flavors of thread lockers - blue, green, red, purple. Depends on the specific application. Some are designed to keep fasteners in place but allow for easy removal with hand tools. A camshaft gear retaining bolt say, might get the blue.

The red flavors are the ones for stuff that you really don't ever want to come apart for any reason or try to take apart again.

loudbang likes this.
  14. Yes. We let the J B set up over night, then install a new plug, reassemble and is good to go. This is the ford recommended procedure.

loudbang likes this.
  15. The red stuff is pretty lethal. To get back apart is difficult and you most often have to apply heat, strong stuff. The blue works very well and you can still remove the part. I use the blue on stuff all over my drag coupe.

Truck64 and loudbang like this.
  16. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Be aware there are different j-b welds for different temperature apps.

loudbang, Elcohaulic and mad mikey like this.
  17. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will second the Time-sert repair sleeves. Not cheap, but I think the best repair. The sleeve had a top flange that bottoms out and during installation the last few threads are pushed out into the base material for a mechanical lock. You can also use #272 high temp Loctite as extra insurance.
    20191122_145004.jpg
    20191122_144918.jpg

loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  18. For the longest time, Ford’s only recommended procedure was to replace the head. Typical late model repair suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

mad mikey likes this.
  19. We use the Keen or Time Serts at work for repairs. I have to look at the install spec, but pretty sure we use a mil-spec never seize and nothing else.

20. greybeard360

greybeard360

Sat thru a live training session via satellite with Ford addressing the head gasket issues and spark plugs on the 5.4L. Any pulled threads... Replace the head. Any warpage over .003" ... Replace the head. They recommended a Snap On straight edge to check flatness. After a short break they had a question and answer session. One of the techs that was watching said he had that exact straight edge. During the break he went and got the paper work out for it. Snap On guaranteed it to within .001" accuracy. He asked the panel of engineers sitting there that depending on which direction it was off, it could mean that a head showing .003" clearance could actually be either .002" or .004". What do techs do at that point?

6 engineers just sat there looking at each other. They said they would check into it and have an answer during the next class on the subject. They never had another class..... LoL

We put heads on every one that rolled in.

21. That would be a dealership? Most of my customers are far out of warranty and are not going to pay for a head replace because a spark plug blew out. We use the special tool kit that comes with inserts and repair it. Done, and customer back on the road. This thread is getting off topic. Later.

22. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I have used the time-sert system and used a couple drops of green loctite.