Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Talk about your "fake" patina!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustydusty, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

-has been overdone already

-have seen late model cars done with "wrap" that looks like a worn out paint job and surface rust - so, doubt if many will be fooles

-this is the bottom line - if not into black primer, there are many shades of flat brown primer that would kind of give the look that you are after - then with some accent pin stripes could look good - instead of an odd looking turtle deck out of wood, do a short style truck bed like Norm Grabowski did

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  2. Go for it
    I don’t care how someone builds their vision as long as it’s safe and functions correctly.
    Post some pics.

MO_JUNK, Hnstray and joeycarpunk like this.
  3. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

You could likely match the current color and then drive the patina into it over time. :) But ultimately it's your car, your decision. Have fun with it. You can always change in the future.

MO_JUNK likes this.
  4. Latigo

Latigo

Go for it. Sounds like a fun project and learning experience.
    Hell, It’s only paint. Don’t tell anyone but those flames aren't real either. Next year paint it purple!

Hnstray likes this.
  5. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fiberglass + paint
    136959C7-C0F8-476E-B7AE-CBE1377237E5.jpeg

6. Budget36

Budget36

I'm not a fan of the "patina" thing, real or fake...BUT!!! I kinda like your idea, assuming you're going to try and match it to the rest of the car. But, I also think if you have the skills to pull it off, you'd have the skills to make the rest of the car nice looking as well.

7. A well designed and constructed wood pick-up box with a snap on tonneau cover to hide the internals would look good and let you showcase your yacht carpentry skills.

VANDENPLAS and Hnstray like this.
  8. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Do you really need a turtle deck at all?

I get the the "art thing". Do not be influenced by this modern patina thing that truthfully emerged out of the rat movement. Don't base fake on fake wich equals fake. Instead be influenced by the real cars. Use real cars as an inspiration rather than another fake patina car. You'll see this in modeling where real features are copied and eventually that feature is exaggerated far beyond realism. Case in point.....exhaust streaks down a WWII fighter model. If that joker was running that rich it would not be able to take flight.

A fiberglass T is like a big Model Kit. What fun you can have with it.....I get it.
    Below is a 3 Springer Model T.....It'a a fascinating car .https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2015/11/12/the-mystery-roadster-of-boyle-heights/
    Maybe trying to incorporate the age then, the look and construction details in your car may be an idea.....
    The last picture although a Model A is the excellent "Desert Zephyr" painting by Tom Fritz. Note the look...Aged....in a way...it looks real. It'a my all time favorite piece.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chili Phil, DIYGUY, Hnstray and 2 others like this.
  9. Here's a shot of the car with the butt ugly box on the back. It's not even angled to the rake of the body. I am going to partially inset the stainless fuel tank into the turtle deck. I want the car to be a roadster, not a T bucket. This box came with the car, the last owner had built another one that was even worse! That one has been turned into firewood... 20191105_142128.jpg 0311191523a.jpg 0311190911b.jpg

10. Folks complain about fake.
    People build hot rods to resemble a car they used to have or wished they had.
    Very few real survivors exist compared to the many copies or versions of a copy.
    We have a 65 cut off here with many cars using 350s
    Do the fake patina haters also see something odd about this?
    Build your car how you want
    If anyone wants to donate time or cash for you to build your car their way, that’s also up to you.

11. Unlimited Products sells a turtle deck for a couple hundred bucks. Might be an option, since it looks like a turtle deck, and not something that kinda, maybe, might look like a turtle deck. You have a nice looking car right up to the back of the body. From there it turns into a kinda, 'my god, what do I do now?' sorta thing. Do yourself a favor and make the back as nice as the front.

12. Pat Thompson

Pat Thompson

Do what YOU want and let em criticize someone else. It's YOUR car....

Cosmo49 and MO_JUNK like this.
  13. I think it would look nice with nothing on the back but the tank and show off the diff and suspension.
    The paint looks good and it’s a nice colour.
    If you built boats for a living pull out your ticking stick and build a turtle deck.
    I like shiny or all one colour, but that’s me.

14. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

You want a pure T Hot Rod, not a Fad T....paraphrased, your sentiment, correct? With that said it's not a bad T bucket. Really a nice little car as is..
    O.K.
    To get to that pure Roadster...

You need to take stuff off rather than add stuff.

Sell the wheels to a '70s van enthusiast.
    Get some steel stockers or chrome steel stockers.(wheels)
    blackwall tires...
    Pick a period, really with the Overhead Valve....and that tank...
    "1962"
    Detail or ...undetail the engine. Make it look like it just came out of a 61 Impala...
    I really think the headers need to go.
    I would go ram-horns.
    Remove or at least paint black paint all the "engine dress up stuff"
    Add some kind if interior trim to the inside panels rather than a bare body shell.
    Details......
    Simplify the car......
    Take it back to it's roots.
    Make it look like '62.
    The paint.....It's fine.
    You just have to remove the flashy Fad stuff and go back with more stocky stuff...more earlier period stuff.
    Simply wrapping the wiring harness with friction tape is a cheap and simple step that really adds to the look......
    Do stuff like that.
    This car doea not really need a major re-do....Just some minor things need to be changed and they can be done over time and you'll get there.

It's no biggie......very very doable without fabricating a thing except some tank brackets rather than wooden block.

Cosmo49 likes this.
  15. I kinda like it with nothing else on the back too. But I am at a loss as to where to hide the battery. By the way, I am very capable of building a turtle deck that looks right...

VANDENPLAS and F-ONE like this.
  16. sunbeam

sunbeam

Painted rust on a glass car just looks like paint. Real patina has texture. It's like making your SBC look like something else or sticking a carburetor inside of a blower case.

17. Just looked up the United Products turtle deck and at $199, it's a lot more affordable than the $500 that Speedway wants for theirs.
    Maybe I can ask Santa...

Hnstray likes this.
  18. I agree that almost anything would look better than the existing box. However, rather than trying to create the "rusty" look, you may want to consider just an "aged paint" look. You could use your artistic skills to make the paint look aged. Consider painting the turtle deck with a closely matching blue and then "age" the whole car. For instance, dull and faded on the surfaces which are most exposed while still shiny on the protected areas. High spots could be rubbed through to the primer, old repairs not perfectly blended or color matched. Plenty of room for creativity without looking over fake.

19. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

My first thought is under floor in front of the passenger like an Advance Design Chevy truck. If there is enough room you could cut a hole into the floor build a box (the Chevy truck box or bracket came off the frame) and use the hatch (lid) of said Chevy truck. Four wheel drive and big '60s Ford trucks also had the battery in the floor. This maybe another good source for a lid.

BTW, I'm sure your very capable of building a turtle deck. I was just trying to provide a simpler option. No offense meant.

20. A Boner

A Boner

image.png Don't know if this is real or fake, but I sure like the look!

alfin32, Cosmo49, 32SEDAN and 4 others like this.
  21. badvolvo

badvolvo

Do what you want to do and don't ask for approval. It's yours. You can tell by my rides and the many hours spent, I don't like rust. An old truck with real aged patina, not rusty is a good look. My Willys is so faded the red looks just like primer and it has a some small rust stains. It fits the truck. A nice car with painted to look like rust is just that, a nice car that's painted to look like rust.

22. Gman0046

Gman0046

I never saw the need to "Fool" people you don't even know. Doubt theres anyone in this world who cares wether your car has a turtle deck and much less how its painted. Painting rust on a non rusted part to me doesn't make sense. Most rodders try to eliminate rust.

23. Personally, I don't get it.

My old deuce shows the passage of time, 87 years of wear so it got that way honestly, someday I may paint the car.

If you want your build to show age, why not mix some brake drum shavings in the paint or primer, as it gets wet and you wash it over time you will have honest rust and streaks.

This GLASS car was painted like that. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  24. A Boner

A Boner

Didn't know your sedan had original paint. Always thought it was primer, because of the HOTRODPRIMER thing!

25. Just put the United Products turtle deck on my Christmas list. If I get it, I'll just forget the whole "rust" idea and paint it to match the car. The trick will be matching the paint color. I suppose I could bring part of the old box to a paint dealer and get them to match the color. Lots of "pearl" in it...

26. ^^^^THIS^^^^ do this!!! if you can't match it, repaint the whole car.. if you think you have the skills to paint faux patina you have the skill to repaint the whole car....
    Chappy

27. upspirate

upspirate

IMG_0519.JPG IMG_0531.JPG IMG_0574.JPG IMG_0601.JPG IMG_0909.JPG I see you ordered a turtle deck so this will be beside the point. Here are some before and after shots of my old 32 truck. When I got it , the bed was worn (patina?) and very awkward looking proportion looking....too wide and not long enough. I wanted a steel p/u bed, but didn't want to spend that money, so I narrowed it and refinished it. Not my best work as I refinish my own sailboat, but it came out pretty fair for the condition of the wood and I think the proportions are better.

28. upspirate

upspirate

I also started to re-do the tail panel with frenched '58 Bel-Aire tail lights and frenched license plate instead of the stupid Vega lights, (truck was built early '70's I think) but never finnished that project before I sold the truck. IMG_0643.JPG IMG_0642.JPG

29. The Rolling Bones are the masters of this ! Or check out the steering wheel (Bell Repos) dude. Josh Shaw airbrushes drippy rust a real pro!!