Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical RCI Bellhousing question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RT468, Dec 5, 2019.

1. RT468

RT468

Is there any chance this bellhousing would fit BOP applications or is it just Pontiac? Marked as Pontiac and I've gathered that early to mid 60s GM bellhousings can be limited as to what year blocks they may fit. Looks like it lines up on a 62 Pontiac bare block but haven't bolted it up as it has a dowel stuck in it that I haven't removed yet. Looks like if the housing is indexed straight up it would have the trans at an angle. Has been relieved inside just above the removable bottom cover ,I'm assuming to clear the ears on the back of the block. Obviously wouldn't meet certs anymore but still kinda curious as to what it may fit,if anything other than Pontiacs. 20190324_164820.jpg 20191118_190622.jpg 20190426_062611.jpg

2. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Pontiac has the same bellhousing bolt pattern as Buick and Oldsmobile, hence the BOP designation

3. squirrel

squirrel

that's an early one, before the BOP standard came into being (1964ish).

Compare. Think about the starter.

bop.jpg

4. RT468

RT468

I had actually never considered looking in to how the starters mounted on earlier Buick or Olds motors. Honestly don't know why I didn't consider that having seen several posts about the differences in the late 50s and 60s Pontiac housing mounts and starter location.

5. bchctybob

bchctybob

That’s a rare find. Not many RC aluminum housings around these days, especially the Pontiac version. Like Squirrel said, early blocks ‘55-‘64. Great find.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

More rare yet is still having the removable cover with it.

7. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I learned about the early vs late Pontiac bell housing starter location the hard way. After putting in the engine and transmission I crawled under the car to install the starter.
    I laid there for a long time wondering who stole the starter bolt holes.

bchctybob likes this.
  8. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

You are so very right I stand corrected

9. RT468

RT468

Thanks guys. I've been looking around different sites trying to find reference info and hadn't come up with any other examples to go off of. Found plenty of Chevy bellhousings of the same type in posts or for sale,even one for an 427 Ford but nothing on Pontiac.

10. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Put it on the auction site with a buy it now price of $5000 or more. Somebody needs it! Then you can buy what you need and still have $ left over.

11. from an oldtimer.......R.__Russ
    C....--Ciphers.....
    ................................Man who started R-C company

AHotRod likes this.
  12. Just because its for a 61 thru 64 don't mean it will not work on later engines that have block mounted starters. likely will fit any block mount starter BOP.