Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Shipping ideas?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Oldskool89, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Oldskool89

Oldskool89

I found a 30s truck cab, and was wondering the best way to get it shipped from boozeman montana, to syracuse ny. The guy selling it said he would help packaging it up if I set up shipping arrangements and pay for it. Thanks for the time!

2. There are a couple of guys in the Hamb O'Dex offering this service, probably your best bet if you want it treated like you did it yourself. After that, I'd try that Uship.com site

Sent from my SM-G955F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  3. Call/look into fastenal 3rd party logistics.
    You’d do best to put the cab on a pallet and build a crate around it and probably sorry if you don’t built a crate.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  4. earlymopar

earlymopar

This is what I did with my 37' that was sent from Oregon to New Hampshire using Fastenal. I had a bunch of other pieces going as well so placed them under and in the cab and bolted/tied everything down. The cab was on a dolly I built for doing the metal work and then bolted it to the pallet. As long as the cab is well inboard of the pallet edges, you should be OK without a crate (but crating would be more of a safety guarantee). When I was finished loading the pallet, I wrapped the entire load with a couple of the Harbor Freight $6 tarps and stapled the tarps to the pallet. It made the trip with no issues.

- EM

Loaded Cab on pallet 002.JPG

5. Oldskool89

Oldskool89

Thank you for the quick responses, really appreciate it

6. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fastenal does have a size limit. The good news is that there is one in Boseman https://www.fastenal.com/locations/details/MTBOZ
    It won't fit on a standard 48x40 pallet so that might be an issue.
    You have more than one branch in you area so it might be best to go to the one easiest to get to and check first hand with them .https://www.fastenal.com/locations;...J0dab-RI.b9408a77-0eb9-3dd2-aa63-3c743b855037

When I was shipping and receiving large items daily I found out that you can check with local shippers to see if they have direct connections in another area. The good news there is Bozeman is on US90 one of the main east west truck shipping corridors in the US and pretty much a direct route to Syracuse. A pallet or crate gets put on a truck where it rides clear across the country rather than being packed from stop to stop and waiting for the next truck. Meaning that you may get a better rate from one of the regular freight haulers than a lot of us might. Shipping loading dock to loading dock without local pickup or delivery saves too in most non commercial cases.
    Pallets that the cab will fit on aren't hard to find and a guy can usually find a good solid one that will fit the cab at a business or at a freight company because they don't get returned like standard pallets do.
    If you want it crated (and as suggested before that is a good idea) the lumber and OSB to crate it is going to cost you extra.
    You might want to snoop here too. https://www.freightcenter.com/freight/shipping/montana

Rich B. likes this.
  8. 50Gasser

50Gasser
    from Minnesota

Try www.freightbuddy.com, primarily auto parts shipping service.

9. earlymopar

earlymopar

I never had any one from Fastenal tell me there was a size limit and my homemade pallets we Loaded Cab on pallet 001.JPG Bed Shot 001.JPG Palletized Frame 002.JPG Palletized Frame 003.JPG re way over 48" x 40".....

- EM

fiftyv8 and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  10. error404

error404
    from CA

I tried using fastenal once to ship a set of leaf springs to a buyer on the east coast about 8 years ago or so. I don't sell things much and I wasn't sure how to ship them. He suggested getting a quote from Fastenal, as he had done that before.

Their quote for 2 complete front leaf packs off of my 46 Willys was something like $350 to ship.... I couldn't believe how much they wanted to ship them.

Needless to say, the buyer turned it down, he was shocked at the price too and he was the one that suggested Fastenal in the first place, haha!

How are their prices now?

11. My first experience using Fastenal 3PL was bad 4-5 years ago. They lost a 34 Ford seat frame lagged to a pallet with an external skeleton of 2X4 framing never to be seen again. Lost in Indy on it's way to KY. Thankfully I had it insured, I was refunded quickly and I reimbursed the buyer. Bummed because he really needed it.

I just shipped a pallet of wheels and tires Fastenal 3PL and they will only insure the shipment if it is in a fully enclosed crate, and it now states sheet metal must be a fully enclosed crate. I picked up a free pallet and precut 2'X4' 1/4" OSB and 4X4 top with some scrap 2x4 braces and for less than $50 I had everything crated. No problem MN to KS.

Keep in mind with Fastenal 3PL your shipment will be loaded and unloaded several times, but they will tell you this, and where, and estimate the arrival date.

Might want to look at a logistics company and specifying a trailer with a with a lift gate. I put a 27 T touring body on a 4'X7' used pallet with a 2X4 skeleton around it. I had it on dollies and rolled right onto to the lift gate, into the trailers, pulled the dollies and the driver secured it, went from MN to PA straight through with no problems at all.

Also sold a 23T roadster body and shipped it in a total enclosed crate from MN to WA in a similar manner with a lift gate trailer.

Good luck keep us posted on what you do.

12. 3-4 times with fastenal and all went fine. All were oversized, all were fully crated and all cheaper than anything else.
    It’s a good gimmick they have going and makes good business sense.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  13. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

I thought I had heard many good things about Fastenal for motors & oversized pallets/crates.
    But my first experience on ebay today with a pair of wheels & mounted tires for Fastenal $292 ebay dollars from California to Kansas would suggest a POOR Choice of Fastenal by seller/shipper this time. Sellers choice & I got screwed.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

14. I just bought a pair of Firestone double diamond dirt track tires and have Fastenal shipping them from Connecticut to Minnesota on a small pallet 100 lbs for $100. Can't imagine west coast to Midwest would be that much higher unless the weight was 300lbs

15. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Maybe something happens to tires, trying to get out of California that increased the costs?
    I haven’t seen invoice, just bought the “learning experience” & hope my pair of mounted wheels & tires make it?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

I've been very happy with all my Fastenal deals, same with R&L, think they are coast to coast. They shipped '32 rails Connecticut to Texas reasonably but I did have to drive to their depot an hour away. Bob

[​IMG]

17. KenC

KenC

Keep in mind that in most cases the shipping you pay on ebay is not the cost to the seller. Most sellers add a handling fee when creating the listing. that is intended to cover the cost of packing material, labor etc. Some sellers treat it as just another way to increase profits. It is a business for a lot of sellers, not a hobby.
    The shipping cost you see in the listing, is the total of the calculated shipping + the seller's addon.

18. Call fastenal yourself and get quote for the same.
    Trucking, shipping, freight on anything out of California east is more expensive.

19. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Probably not the best time of year to provide yourself with lots of transport options.

* I've used U-ship with some success, but you must be prepared to be disillusioned in the early days by some of the ridiculously high quotes that are thrown at you by the big boys looking for suckers. You need to hold out until some privateers start making offers, which are generally much more realistic. If you have time to hold out this can be your friend. You will need pic's, size/s of load/s and weights.

*I have also used these folks in Arnold, NE. They seem to go all over the country, reasonable prices if it works with there other loads, they provide live tracking of their vehicle. H&M Transport - Crystal and Mike 308 880 1271 or 308 848 3271 They were never interested in hauling across the boarder into CA though.
    If you did not want to have it hauled all the way, maybe you could work out a rendezvous point that works for both of you!

*My best advice is make sure you have good pic's of the load packed and ready, so there are no issues at pickup etc.

*The other way I have done shipping is arrange with the seller to meet kinder half way on the journey and swap the load onto my trailer at the meet point, cell phones etc these days make that pretty darn easy if both parties are committed.

*I purchased a T coupe body in ND during winter, eventually I did a deal with the seller, who had a brother heading down to CO in the spring who had offered to transport it for me at a really decent price, basically part of his gas costs. Again time can be your friend.

Oh and I got a Ford 9" diff hauled from your town in NY to CO door to door by a U-ship privateer for $100 which I thought was pretty darn good.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019

20. Thank you sir for the recommendation!

I am pretty sure that I speak for the other two Quality Transporters here on the Hamb in the O'Dex (BenD & Racinman) when I say...None of use go up into that area during the winter months!

If you still want it done in the spring, get in touch with me. I have a heavy duty rolling pallet that I routinely put cabs or "firewall back" bodies on & roll them up into the front of the enclosed trailer

If you end up using Uship (as a last resort) do NOT post your phone #, only your email. I have had customers tell me they were bothered by brokers (which is mostly what Uship is) for up to 4 months after receiving their vehicle, some calls in the middle of the night!

God Bless & Merry Christmas
    Bill Squires(owner)
    Bill's Auto Works
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019