Register now to get rid of these ads!

New guy here

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by 63fordf100, Dec 5, 2019.

1. 63fordf100

63fordf100

Hello all, new to H.A.M.B. Been following and reading the thread for about 4 years now since I acquired my '63 Ford F-100 and now have some questions that I hope can help me get my truck back on the road. A bit of history … I just retired from the Navy after 41 years of service and now I can devote the requisite time into fixing it. Questions:

Frame conversion … I would like to reframe the truck to get a more modern driveline, brakes, safety, et al. Suggestions?
    Motor rebuilt … I would like to do it myself. Motor is a 292 Y-block and has 111K miles. It needs three kitty litter boxes to catch all the oil so a rebuild is absolutely necessary. I'm thinking .030 over but always looking for ideas.
    Transmission/rear end. It's a 3-speed toploader with granny and has 4.10 gearing. I would like to change to a 4-speed and replace the gearing to make the truck more manageable to drive. I've read that Ford has 20+ bellhousings that were used for the toploader transmissions so I would probably need to change the bell if I change from a 3-speed to 4-speed.

I think this is a good start for now and I look forward to hearing back and opening discussions with you folks. Thanks in advance and if I sound (read) a bit "absent minded" vis-a-vie questions concerning my truck, well now you know why I'm here.

2. Welcome to the H.A.M.B. and thanks for your service.