Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Time change and winter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by in the weeds, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Up here in BC we had a govt survey with around 93% response to eliminate the twice a year time change (though a small sample size). I would prefer to stay on Pacific Standard time. When the dark days, with a fair amount of BC rain, I just want to hibernate. But at least I have daytime now with retirement...

warbird1, lothiandon1940 and 1Nimrod like this.
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here in Washington they voted to stay on daylight savings time all year long but still switched back this fall.
    If I had got the shop done and the Blaze king installed the cat and I would probably live out there most of the time but my hands don't work well when they are cold.
    The dog gets me up at sunrise every morning no matter when sunrise is. When the sun hits her in the face in the living room she gets me up. She usually knows when sunset is got some reason and we go out to do a sunset picture.
    Running out though the snow to fill the wood box a few minutes ago packing up the RV and heading to Tucson doesn't sound that bad right now.

3. I don't like the change either. Messes with my already messed up sleep habits. I counted 14 clocks, including those on vehicles, that I have to change each time!:eek:

4. Hibernation should be an option. Ideally, wintering in the southern hemisphere would be my choice.
    Little bit of snow out there this morning. Hurry spring.

5. Don, I don't need no stink'en clocks! I only have 3 time zones {Day TIME} {Night TIME}, and {HAMB TIME}.

6. ^^^Love it, Ron^^:D

wraymen, Dino 64 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  7. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

So this stuff started in the mid 1960's and I haven't ever liked it. I don't like it when it gets overcast and the sun is almost a no show for week's. It gets dark if we have sun over here around 5:30, but like most of use old boy's the joints just can't wait for warmer weather and even then it's not easy. My doctor keeps telling me to move south and I ask him are you going to pay for all moving cost, NO... It does seem the older I get the shorter the summer's are and the winter's never seem to come to an end and the sun light on one's face is almost on heard of in the dead of winter. When younger working in the factory I had to work a double rotating shift it was killer 12 hour work day's. It went 12 noon to 12 midnight for two weeks then we would shift to 12 midnight to 12 noon for two weeks and back and forth switching every two weeks plus pull extra 6 hours more for a no-show co-worker making it a 18 hour work day getting home after a one hour drive get to bed for 2 hour's then another hour drive back to work. Then there was the double shift working two 12 hour shifts back to back with out any sleep a full 24 hour work day then going back into another 18 hour work day doing this for over a full year when I was a young man of 25 year's old. It caught up to about four of us after over a year and a half of pushing our selves and the body said no more we four were the only ones doing all the OT and after us four went off on short term disability the company decided to go back to just three eight hour shifts and no more then 70 hours a week for any one. When daylight savings Time came around we never even noticed it. The lights inside the factory became our sunshine and we had no night time. Those were the good Old Days young strong invincible in our own minds... NOT... We was Just plan dumb...
    1Nimrod

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  8. in the weeds

in the weeds
    from Kansas

Holy crap i'm not even gonna come visit

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Smart ass

10. squirrel

squirrel

yeah, I can be a smart ass. I was born in Minneapolis.

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. With the haters.....lucky I can get off work around 3 pm or so and still allows some running around time.

1Nimrod and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

What has been reported in reputable newspapers here in BC is that Bc, Wa, Or, and CA want to harmonize the time change though I'm unsure if it is to stay on Pacific Standard time or Daylight Saving time. I know I don't need sunlight to 9:00 up here in the summer, I prefer standard time. However, in regards to those states the stories continually say that they must seek federal approval to do so.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I refuse to participate in daylight savings time. Sure I'm an hour early for some things and an hour late for others but it's easier than changing the time on my car radio.

14. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Yes you can, you got smart and left for warmer places

15. trollst

trollst

Really, the time change has never affected me, never been one to work in my shop at night either, else I went to work tired the next day cause I couldn't shut my mind off after being in the shop. I'd get as much done saturday and sunday both full days, and I enjoyed the solitude of not having to please anyone. All the house shit was done through the week, things like groceries and errands. Now that I'm retarded, the time change means less, I spend more time in my shop, music on, don't care if its dark.
    Life is good.

16. gene-koning

gene-koning

I opened my own shop part time in 94. By 95 I was full time. 95 would have been about the time working on anything except an emergency after 6pm was pretty well not an option. I worked on customer jobs during the day, and if I wasn't busy, I did my hot rod time during the day as well. Nights were for cruising or other hot rod activities during the summers or for staying warm during the winters.
    When I moved my shop to my home garage in 2001, my day was done by 5pm, and the commute home was about a 10' walk to the back door.
    Now that I'm retired, when it gets dark outside, its HAMB time. I've been pretty spoiled!
    I don't much like the time changes. About every other year, my digital watch can't handle the change and I have to buy a new one. The time changes mess up my daily eating schedule... It takes a few weeks for my eating time to catch up with the new clock time. Gene

17. Guys, just for the record, it's Daylight "Saving" Time, not Saving(s). Doesn't make it any more enjoyable though.:)

wraymen likes this.
  18. The proponents of this clock change seem to feel that having an "extra" hour of daylight after the conventional 9 to 5 work day in the Summer enhances production and allows folks like farmers another hour of late-day light to accomplish their tasks. I call B.S. cause farmers generally work from dawn to dusk (and often more) and now tractors have lights anyway:eek:....And as far as the assumption that the whole workforce is on a 9 to 5 schedule, that's ridiculous as well. I would be willing to bet that far more people work a schedule other than 9 to 5 than do so.

chryslerfan55, 1Nimrod and Hnstray like this.
  19. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

I’ve been saying for years that every fall we go back to “Daylight Wasting Time “, because I waste all the daylight at work and get very little done at home.

20. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

I get home from work about 5 and I feel like I need to jump in the shower and into bed! If I do work some outside, I feel rushed like it's getting late. I've been pushing myself to ignore it ever evening and get something done. I've found that a quality headlight flashlight is worth whatever price!

lothiandon1940 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. PacaRacer50

PacaRacer50

Here in Indiana we use to never change time which was fan-fracking-tastic! then sometime just before 2009 it all went to hell in a handbasket fast. Two of the big shipping companies, Brown and those other guys that are Fedup started to raise hell about having to change shifts when the rest of the damn country made the switch to daylight savings time and then back. I never could understand Brown's and Fedup's problem and why they just didn't adjust their employees starting and ending time instead of moving their entire shifts around. The then governor Mr. Pain in the A$$trick decided that we needed to change because Brown and Fedup was going to pull their entire operations out of Indy and move somewhere else unless we went on daylight savings time and ram-rodded it through to get it passed.
    After it passed it really screwed up a lot of the businesses here in Indiana that did a lot of work for companies on the west coast and if you are in the automotive supplier business then you did big business on the west coast. Instead of having 2 hours time difference for part of the year and 3 hours the rest it went to 3 hours all year along. Over 60% of our business at the company I worked for went away over night. It drove us out of business but not only that it totally killed off the electronics business in Indiana right when the 2009 economy dump took place.
    We worked with over 70 different companies that were in the electronic business that are now gone due to the time change. From suppliers of components to printed circuit board manufactures to board stuffers and wire harness manufactures along with parts warehouses are all gone now. I know over 300 people it affected that still do not make even 1/3 of what they made before.
    I went back to school, learned a new profession, got my insurance licenses and have been working in a totally different industry but I do not make even 1/4 of what I made before the time change took place.
    Now here I am 11 years later and still can't sleep right due to the change. My job of 24 years and the company that was 40 years old I helped build is gone. I can't fine a job in the electronics industry in Indiana because they are all gone and I am still fracking pissed off about the damn time change...…. Mother Fracking Government!

chryslerfan55 and 1Nimrod like this.
  22. jvo

jvo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Geez, there are mostly haters here. For comments like, "farmers work from sunup", the sun comes up here in the middle of the summer about 4 AM. Who the hell needs daylight at 4 AM? I like having the time change so I have daylight till 10 pm in the summer. It makes total sense to me to have daylight saving time so as to reduce the need for electric lighting for an extra hour in the evening, when the sun is still shining, compared to that sunshine when we are all sleeping.
    I was an oilfield drilling rig mover in my previous life, and we used to be on location at 4 AM in the summer so as to get our rig move done and over with before it got too hot. The change back, is a change back to "normal", in the winter time. It affects me for several days, then I am just fine.
    I have good heat and insulation in my shop, and lots of light. I'm out in the shop every day, summer or winter.

And don't get me going on how "they" can't predict the weather. They can predict the weather really really good now, compared to a decade or two ago. When they can say its going to be cold for one day a week from now, and then it happens, I believe the weather forecasters do just fine.
    I am not a naysayer.
    Is this a traditional discussion?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  23. Oregon has decided to stay with regular time as of 2020. SO glad.

24. I have never liked winter, even as a kid I disliked it and it hasn't gotten any better as I have aged, only now with all the damage I have inflicted on my body I hurt a lot more in cold weather.

But there is nothing any amount of complaining is going to change it, so short of moving to Arizona I'm stuck with it, I also dislike the time change, dark when I leave the house and dark when I get home, but what do you expect from a curmudgeon. HRP

25. LOWDUG37

LOWDUG37

I don't really have a problem with it,I find it gives me time to get things done I don't want to do in the summer.

26. And India

27. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Even tho this thread has nothing to do with traditional builds, the time change is here. If your state doesn't like it, vote it out. We voted it out in California and are still waiting for the permanent change to happen.

It's raining in California and it has nothing to do with climate change that just happens to happen four times each year.In the mean time, a coyote shit in my front yard and I ran over the shit with my lawn mower a couple of weeks ago. There was shitty fur all over the place.

My neighbors are putting out their Christmas decorations the day after Thanksgiving and it's begining to look very festive. It looks really good at night time after the sun goes down. Hmm, maybe the neighbors will pass out Christmas cookies again this year. I sure hope so.

Has anyone ever locked their self in a car and couldn't get out? If so, did you try to flag a passer by down to ask them if they had a coat hanger so that you could get the door unlocked to get yourself out?

Sent from my SM-G973U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. Some folks are mixing up 'time zones' with 'time change' and 'work shifts'. They are not actually related subjects except that all of 'em use clocks.
    Most posters seem to be focused on the negatives of the fall time change. But that's when we revert back to the natural, 'real' time. You know, when the sun is at its highest at noon. That's what we have in the winter. It's the summer that has the unnatural, 'artificial' time and the sun is still an hour away from "high noon" at 12:00 O'clock.
    But I do sympathize and can relate that the double whammy of the fall time change compounded with shorter sunlight can be a kick in both nuts for a lot of us. But the keyword here is "unnatural" and that's why we are having problems dealing with the change twice a year.
    Daylight Savings time doesn't help the farmers, who get up at o'dark thirty, when the cows tell them it's milking time. Cows pay no attention to what the government says. Farmers don't punch the bosses' clock; they get up with the cows. and work 'till they're done, regardless of the 'clock'.
    Ha! Remember when we were young car owners, taking our dates to the drive-in movies, which couldn't start 'till dark around 9:30 something. The feature didn't end 'till after midnight and her mamma wanted her home by 11:00. Remember that? We needed a time warp. :eek: :confused: :p

29. Guess I must be one of the lucky ones that isn't bothered by the semi-annual time change... If I had my choice, I'd keep it on Daytime Saving Time year 'round. I do like the long evenings in the summer time and being retired I don't need to be up at zero dark thirty to be at work at 0500...

30. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think I heard way back that getting the kids TO school safely in morning light was a factor.
    (But i’ve found a lot of what I think is wrong.)
    Actually, the dog’s the only one pissed at the time change...then pleasantly surprised in the Spring.