Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Saving Dominique - Now with (slow) build thread!

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Barn Hunter, Nov 24, 2019.

1. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very Kool find! Congrats!! Thank you for posting the story, it was a kool thread.

2. Roothawg

Roothawg

The fact that it was a cover car makes it worth saving on that note alone. The cool thing is it got a lot of press, which gives you a window into a lot of build information.

loudbang, Sancho, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I kind of like the race car look. I'd leave the blower at least, but that's just me.

4. awesome ride
    thankfully a resto guy didn't get it, plenty of restored Vettes running around (yawn)

was walking through a local shop recently, this was on the owners tool box

vette 6.jpeg
    stuff is still out there

5. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

That's true. Lots of details are available through the coverage. BUT....If anyone finds out any more about it, please let me know. Maybe there was some more about it in another magazine? One can only hope!

dana barlow, Blownfuel, Stogy and 8 others like this.
  6. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

I sent a request to the photoshop thread to put it back to original custom but leave the blower and do it in candy red....just for grins. I think the photoshop wheels are too big and it makes the car look stubby. The cover shots on Rodding and Restyling show that this is not the case.

dana barlow, Stogy, catdad49 and 3 others like this.
  7. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

WOW, cool. I wish that was sitting on my toolbox!

8. Holy crap! I somehow missed this thread but DAMN this is SO cool! @Barn Hunter you definitely are the right person for this car. Keep the updates coming!

9. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Just beautiful - the builder was truly inspired; wish he could have done more kustoms. I love how he extended the rear quarters just enough without making it look tail-heavy. Best of luck to you with the restoration, Barn Hunter!

10. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

That's so cool to find a historical custom car like that. Not a corvette fan myself, but I bet there are a ton of people Jealous and excited for you at the same time.

Sent from my SM-N975U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Hadn't been aware of that motor, but it does have a good look. I'll probably go with a carburetor at first and save up for a vintage injection system.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    dana barlow, Blownfuel, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  12. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Thanks, Sancho! :)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  13. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Thanks....he was a boat builder/designer from Miami, so fiberglass was his perfect canvas!

14. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Blownfuel, catdad49, Outback and 7 others like this.
  15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

that looks like a good deal on that chromed unit. too bad it is the wrong version. This is just my opinion and doesn't mean shit because it is not my car, but anything other than doing a 100% accurate restoration to the cover car version of this car is doing it a dis service, and I can't believe that someone here would actually think one of those awful EFI ramjets should be on this car.... YUK

16. X2
    but its not my wallet paying for it
    I would rather run a period carb over a modern version of EFI

17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Agreed, an early vette 2x4 setup would be suitable

18. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I could never buy/own a car that has rules to follow my hats off to Moriarity who has a stable of them and good luck on the build Barn Hunter! subscribed!

brEad, slim38, BamaMav and 5 others like this.
  19. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dominique Duntov. Good name for this car...or a stripper, just an observation and I needed a reminder to follow this thread.

20. hotrodhoodlum

hotrodhoodlum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will say that is a great find and you have the courage to bring it back to
    the beauty that it is was and will be
    hot rod hoodlum

stanlow69, Stogy, Moriarity and 2 others like this.
  21. I guess I'm the oddball. I'm kinda digging the gasser look as it was found. It's still part off the cars history. I like the blower and nose up stance. I know it's not pure to what it was, but the vette purists would say the same thing about its original custom version. Either way you go it's an awsome find. I guess I have to agree with brigrat, i dont follow rules well. I will be following to see the progress. Good luck

22. Jimhu

Jimhu

23. catdad49

catdad49

Make Dominique Magnifique! The modifications look like they have held up well, what a great find this is. I happened to see your post on the FAS, checked your profile and had to find out about Dominique. Man, I'm glad I did! Dual quads would definitely be in the ballpark and a whole lot better especially if you plan on driving this ( I Know You Are). Have you heard of Beach Bum Jim? Does some great upholstery, Jim Shrader in Loris, S.C.

24. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Well, it has been a while since I posted about Dominique. I haven't had a bunch of time to do anything but I did get the seats out and cut some holes in the floor. Several of the Vette sites said the Vin number would be on the top of the frame right about where your wallet would be if you were sitting in the driver's seat. Well, it wasn't. It was just in front of the drivers seat!. Lot's of you would never have dared buy this car like I did. All I got was a piece of paper saying I bought a '56 Vette. No numbers...no title, nothing. Just a bill of sale. The thing is I knew this car had been sitting for umpteen years and it wasn't "hot". So I just had to do what I had to do. As I said before, I cut the holes in the floor and found the Vin number. I went back to the seller and got a notarized bill of sale with the vin numbers on it. Now it's in the process of getting verified - just means they run it through the system and if it isn't registered, I get my verification paper. As soon as I get that back, I can register it in Georgia. I've got a muscle car dealer friend in Florida and he tells me he has gotten titles for Georgia cars several times...no problem. Nice to know. Anyway, here are a few pics. 20200126_153332.jpg 20200126_164110 (2).jpg

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  25. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

As clean up progresses, you find some interesting things. The mother of the guy (passed several years ago) who raced it in the 70's called it the batmobile. I thought it a little odd. Maybe the lights, maybe the fins?? But then as I pulled the top out of the well and off the bows.....voila! The remains of the top. Man, what were they thinking? 20200314_105430 (2).jpg

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    MBog, brEad, dana barlow and 11 others like this.
  26. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Have not heard about him, but I'll check him out.

dana barlow, catdad49 and Stogy like this.
  27. Are you sure they were thinking to begin with?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...Petrified Period Panties left over from one of the best Cruises ever had in that car...just think it could have been 1 1/2" thick Pink Shaggy Rug...:D

SS327, Kroombit and Barn Hunter like this.
  29. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Dude...you know that is the remains of the convertible top and rear window. But I like how you think.

SS327, brEad, dana barlow and 2 others like this.
  30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...Submarine Races... @Barn Hunter it's good to see Your Thread back to the top again...I am enjoying the journey you've embarked on...Neat Custom and yeah the styles are sometimes over the Top aren't they...:D

chryslerfan55 and Barn Hunter like this.