Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What did you do today?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Daniels Auto Repair, Jul 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuces

Deuces

Well... Let's see..... Hey, I woke up!:):confused::rolleyes:

2. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

today I got up ,had coffee , and watched the trump show while hambing it up .but yesterday I color sanded the cheap enamel I sprayed on my hood last week.should stop rust this winter and sprayed pretty good at 40 deg.. winter sucks!! but summer was good , and no fires this year , at least near me ! 1941-Chevrolet-Special-Deluxe.jpg DSCF4938.JPG

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    Paint Guru, 30tudor, j-jock and 6 others like this.
  3. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

Seen every day on the way to take the kids to school. Lincoln.jpg

Jalopy Joker and Lil32 like this.
  4. 62rebel

62rebel

Love those Continentals. Hard to find a good sedan because restorers will junk a driveable sedan to restore a shit convertible.

Kelly Burns likes this.
  5. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

Not sure how solid this one really is, I've not been any closer than the picture, but the window has been down for at least the year I've been aware of the car.

6. We are up in Thunder Bay helping our son pack up for an employment move. Met HAMBer hapydz for morning coffee and discussed his trip to roadster show in Pomona this winter. Got me thinking that I should escape the snow for a bit and check out the show too.

7. mnjeff

mnjeff

Spent most of the night with my head and ass in the toilet, laying on that wonderful cold bathroom floor....Caught some kind of stomach bug....Just coming out of it now, but feel like someone worked me over with a baseball bat! The package even hurts! Haven’t been that sick in a long time.

8. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Visited H & H Flatheads, had a nice chat with Mike, also visited Hollywood Hotrods and reviewed upcoming projects. Always visit these shops and more on my visits to Calif. The projects are INCREDIBLE. Can't wait to see the contenders for AMBR NEXT YEAR.H & H has the v12 Ardun under way. Can't wait to see this engine.

9. Today [12/4] was a beautiful 55 degree winter day so naturally I leaped into my coupe and went visiting my buddies. Stopped by Paul's shop when I saw his trusty 41 chevy pu parked outside. He was working on a customer's car so I didn't distract him very long...slid by my buddy, Byron's vacuum cleaner repair shop to see if he was ready to sell me his 48 Stude bidness coupe.....his wife said he was 1& 1/2 houirs late coming back to the shop...I didn't wait so I went by Dar's place to find him stripping out the back half of his 61 catalina in anticipation of the new trunk floor another buddy is going to install for him.....then over to Jaimie's.
    Wow. Jaimie comes up with the nicest stuff sometimes. This time he's bought a 56 chevy bel air hardtop. Not just any 56 chevy. It's my dream car. Factory bronze and cream! Right now it's got a funky 307, 2 barrel with a 350 turbo and has a side motor mount kit, soon to be replaced with a fresh 350/4 speed. It's a diamond in the rough right now but it's gonna be epic! Was a great day! 12_19.jpg 12_19_jaimies 56.jpg 12_19_jaimiesinterior.jpg

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

11. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

MO_JUNK, swade41, 40two and 2 others like this.
  12. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Washed the Cad 390 block , checked the bearing clearances on the mains and installed the crank. Also installed the new Schneider cam and the timing chain:cool:

13. mopacltd

mopacltd

How's your Dad doing, Lumpy?

14. bchctybob

bchctybob

Took my headers back to the chrome shop and pointed out the problem, he’ll redo them-no problem. They are good people, I was sure they would.
    Got home to find my used Ebay Corvette expansion tank arrived. It looks great! Our 215 powered Morris Minor needs the tank because the radiator cap is below the thermostat housing. It’ll look much better than the fabricated one I was considering.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

osage orange and Lil32 like this.
  15. LAROKE

LAROKE

Checking the valves on the Jimmy 302 head.

Proceeded to check the valve springs. Measured the free height to be 1.993 inches with vernier calipers. Installed valve #2 with a generic spring just strong enuf to hold the valve assembly at its closed height and measured it with a telescoping gauge to be 1.809 inches. From Tony's writings at Oldgmctrucks.com, I believe the valve lift to be 0.425 inches. This subtracted from the valve closed height equals an open height of 1.384 inches.

With the vernier calipers locked at 1.993 inches, each valve was checked in turn for free height. They were all equal in height. Next, the vernier calipers were set at the closed height of 1.809 inches and the telescoping gauge locked at that setting also. The springs were checked in turn with the spring tester. Using the telescoping gauge as a stopping point for the tester, all springs showed a closed spring to be exerting 50 lbs pressure. variations were too small for me to detect with my original equipment eyes. Finally, the vernier calipers and telescoping gauge were set at 1.384 inches and the process was repeated for open valve pressure which turned out to be 180 lbs. A few times, I got readings of 185 lbs but, I re-calibrated the telescoping gauge against the vernier calipers and reran the test to get 180 lbs, The gauge had slipped.

I don't consider this test precise due to my inexperience and old eyes but I am confident that all the springs are within a RCP or two of being the same.

[​IMG]

lothiandon1940 and jimmy six like this.
  16. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That’s gonna run real good.. thanks for sharing and nice pics

17. indianbullet

indianbullet
    from Ca

Been side tracked working on a newly acquired "non Hamb friendly car" for the last couple weeks. It came full circle back to me after 25 years. A 67 SS Camaro..
    Anyone ever get side tracked? ;)

bchctybob likes this.
  18. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

Finished up my headers on the big block powered Plymouth Sedan.
    IMG_20191203_170719495.jpg IMG_20191203_170709943.jpg

bchctybob, Deuces, j-jock and 4 others like this.
  19. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Alternator brackets arrived to the 235 today so I will be painting them tonight,they look better then anything I could make and were half the price of others I have found

Attached Files:

jimmy six and osage orange like this.
  20. 2935ford

2935ford

Today, just a bit more to finish up on the A after fixing the leak from the cam hole and rebuilding the steering box.
    almost done 001a.jpg

Lil32, David Gersic and osage orange like this.
  21. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Went Prestige Thunderbird in Santa Fe Springs and bought a pair of door lock keepers for my 56. Stopped at Mooneyes in and checked on 16” Moon discs for the wheels Wheelsmith is making for the rear of our LSR roadster and finished up with taking the Howard 5-2 intake I’m using on my sons 302 to get polished at a local shop. Yes the intake elbows need to be finished. ED5F9DA8-DBAB-4FAE-A0E1-BA7A844768CA.jpeg 05EA8E84-57AD-4A91-ACEA-B707A6039E75.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    bchctybob, RICH B, LAROKE and 3 others like this.
  22. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Finished the conversion to a flatbed on a diecast truck tonight,after I got the racks painted decided to make some changes and make gates for the rear which will require a trip to the hobby shop tomorrow. 100_9625.JPG

23. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

And while I was removing the lettering on this one removed it on another too. 100_9621.JPG 100_9621.JPG 100_9623.JPG

24. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ouch...... but I can’t say that has not happened to me:(

Chavezk21 likes this.
  25. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use the same spring tester now. I've made about 20 PVC tubes at different lengths to check springs. From 2" down taking off .010". It's the only way I can get it to repeat and set the on seat tension pressure the same. Can't tell you how many hours I've spend doing what your doing on GMC head assembly for our racing over the years starting with a much more primitive tool. I like following your work.

LAROKE and JOYFLEA like this.
  26. 62rebel

62rebel

Spent the morning straightening trim and detail painting some. Not going to post pictures because my hands and eyes don't seem to communicate well anymore... I will clean up the oops later. Waiting for some parts to arrive in the mail, so I can get the Galaxie fully lockable.... and heated, got a new heater core on the way.

27. topher5150

topher5150

Went to look at a C-4 tranny today. I was able to turn the input shaft by hand and shift the gears by hand. They guy said it probably just needs a once over and should be good to go. Tranny flex plate and torque converter for $200.

62rebel likes this.
  28. jeepster

jeepster
    from wisconsin

Bent up inner and outer rocker panels for a friends '62 Tbird
    T-bird rockers.jpg T-bird rockers2.jpg

JOYFLEA, Deuces and 62rebel like this.
  29. X-cpe

X-cpe

If that's the worst you can do you're having a good day.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.