Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1930 Ford Coupe, traditional build project

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jim Lato, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Crayons

Crayons

Here's miine, channeled 4-1/2" and Zeed 7" in rear, un-chopped east coast style. Narrowed frame in back to let body fit down over it.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and Jim Lato like this.
  2. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

So not much has gone on with the ford since I last talked to you guys. Have about 3/4 of the car sanded down, Ford large bolt pattern rims sourced for making some old school looking rims. Bigs and littles. I gotta Road trip up to a fellow hamber @ModelARay in Michigan to get some parts to help me along.
    Recently proposed to my gf and we want to try to get this car on the road for our wedding at least which isn’t planned yet. So I’m trying to scratch up cash to get what I can to make this car start coming together. I been buying parts as I can and throwing them in the cab. Not much I can do till she gets sandblasted in. And out and sourcing some steel for the passenger side issues like we were looking at. Wanna mod rims, fix some steel work and get a turning flathead motor to slap in it. Nothing crazy.
    Gonna order wood, floor and sub rails hopefully soon. Sorry for the long wait fellas. Shits been pretty tight here on the farm. Trying for a young son or daughter and all that. As well as keeping up with my dreams in the shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

I did get a entirely channeled frame for a model a from a guy recently for 50 bucks... z’d is all done. Just needs to be squared and zapped.

4. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

This is what I was thinking about as well with these two cars

5. in the weeds

in the weeds
    from Kansas

YOU have one nice shed to work out of now move that farm stuff outside so you have more room

6. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

It’s really nice having a large shop to dink around in. And drink beer. Lol
    I been trying to install a bigger heater. But anywho. Been looking for seat assembly, windshield glass and passenger top roof steel.
    Got a 46 ford flathead I’m working on getting unstuck but she’s crusty so I was looking for a turning one I could just get functioning so I could put it in the car

brEad likes this.
  7. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

check that frame for sag... they sagged near the side motor mounts... get out a straight edge and see...
    not to bad a fix now but later stuff won't fit... hood gaps are nuts...

brEad and Jim Lato like this.
  8. HSF

HSF
    from Lodi CA

Cool project. Invest in a DA sander if you haven't already. You'd have your car to bare metal in a weekend or less. Those little electric vibrating sanders are good for wood and that's about it.

9. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Ya I have a couple I use for it. It’s gonna suck to sand the rust n what not on the interior side of the steel

10. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Ya I’ve heard there are flaws in the passenger side and it’s next to rare to find a car that doesn’t have a frame that doesn’t have something wrong with it. So once I take body off and make some kind of rotisserie... or whatever. I’ll be checking the frame to make sure it’s true

11. CC-Mo

CC-Mo

This is going to be cool!

Jim Lato likes this.
  12. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Can’t wait to get my hoard of parts and all the things to get the body shot. Going to have a local guy here “fast freddys” fix all the tiny dents and paint it. While that’s being done I’ll do the chassis stuff. But gotta make that damn money!!!

13. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Nice project Jim, glad to see you got a deal on a coupe! Keep pecking away at it, small steps are better than no steps. Let me know if you need anything.

14. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Thanks wheeldog! I’ll take as much help and pointers as I can get. So far dough and time is lacking lol

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  15. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

So, sorry guys I haven’t been online in a long time. Had a major surgery and it went bad when I was hospitalized but now I’m ok. But struggling financially since the surgery. Recently laid off and just trying to winterize the farm before the winter. Oh! Also! Waterline broke underground to the barn. 200’ disaster of digging but I got it fixed thanks to the neighborhood coming together to help get it dug.
    But anyway my buddy on here @sloppyjalopies has some goodies stashed away for me to fix a lot of those pin holes on the body if you remember, so I gotta try and save up to get that stuff home as long as I can have the boring bills paid first that is.
    So since I been shy on dough I tried brazing some of those little holes since the panel is junk anyways. Didn’t really work very good.
    But I do have good news, finally found my flatty for the car. I have a truck trans laying around here off my older flatty I have but I gotta learn more about it to see if it’s something I want to run in it. But that 8ba I bought, turned so I figured what the hell let’s see if she starts. Once the rings reseated it ran like a kitten! Not too bad. Pretty happy. So now I have to order motor mounts and fab them into place. But I want to do motor and trans in one shot so I can see how everything goes together. There is so much work to do and I just need to level out mentally and start planning. Too much stress obscuring my dream here. Figured I’d say hello and give a short update. Nothing cool but sorry for leaving everyone hanging [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

I want to lower my machine as much as I can mechanically with no cutting. Drop the axle tire combos, manipulating suspension

nunattax and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Oh by the way. The little lady cheated as I was watching her kiddos on the farm. I miss them so much. So no more wife and I owe @ModelARay 50$ since she bailed. Inside joke lol

18. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

If you were closer I could use your help just continuing on it. Nobody around here gets into cars. Just my fridge lol

chryslerfan55 and wheeldog57 like this.
  19. Von Rust

Von Rust
    from London

Sorry to hear you've had such a hard time Jim, it really has been a crap year for so many. It's good that you have a hot rod brewing to take your mind off the other stuff. Stick with it and good luck.
    Best,
    D.

chryslerfan55, brEad and Jim Lato like this.
  20. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Mr Rust, I appreciate the kind words. It’s been a bad year for all. Just wish more of us guys lived closer so we could come around and help one another! Like the water line thjng. I called my buddies to help, not one showed up, just like making hay! But the people I barely know and don’t have telephone numbers to showed up to help. It was so cool to see that. [​IMG]

21. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Is like ti just throw some rubber on the Ol girl on it’s original front rims and I got some old rims thag bolt into the rear with some slicks. Sometimes those things get me going lol

22. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

J L , wish you lived closer,
    my nick name is "thin-tin" as I have a penchant for welding the very thin stuff...
    sounds like you could use a little razor blade welding on the right side of the coupe...
    practice on some vintage scraps... hold a strip of copper on the back side while you weld...
    helps keep the melted wire from falling through and absorbs a bunch of heat...
    hold the copper strip with vice grips...
    heat races up the copper real fast...

brEad, Woogeroo, 55zephyr and 2 others like this.
  23. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Ya I know dude. Wish ya did too! Nobody around here wants to goof with cars anymore. I’ll crank the welder to her lowest setting and get some copper and do what ya said.
    This tin rusted so weird on this car. The outside of the car isn’t where the rusting began. It’s the inside of the panels, as if the car was disassembled and left on its side where shit collected or water who knows what and rotted from the inside out? It’s very strange. Cause you sand down to fine unharmed steel on the outside with no pitting. But the inside? Man it’s goofed pretty good.
    I’m gonna sell my left and right nut just for some spare dough and buy some goodies from you lol

24. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

no hurry, the other guy backed out on the quarter and roof...

25. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Just pack up shop. Come here to the farm and let’s just build hot rods till we are dead.

brEad likes this.
  26. 31choppedtopcoupe

31choppedtopcoupe
    from Ohio

You lucky dog. Scoring an untouched coupe is like hitting the lottery

Jim Lato likes this.
  27. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Means a lot to hear that choptop! And she will remain uncut. I just can’t bring myself to do any channeling or anything. The most I’ll do is lower it with the front I beam and whatever else but I want to do a traditional 50’s build. Highboy I believe it is. So I have a Ford flathead for it and gonna do all original stuff and old speed parts. Probably a banjo or quick change rear end. Unsure

28. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

pix is of the '30 coupe ZEEd 5" in front and 7.5" in the rear... not chopped.
    DSCN6720.JPG DSCN6721.JPG DSCN6716.JPG lllllll.JPG pppppp.JPG

J.Ukrop and kidcampbell71 like this.
  29. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

I just friggin love how old school that rod looks man! I can’t wait to get back on my feet so I can get some progress. Just found out I got the rona. Not happy. I have no idea how I got it cause I don’t go anywhere unless I got it at the feed mill...

brEad likes this.
  30. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I stopped going to a local sandwich shop because I had to stand there for 10 minutes being the only person in the place wearing a mask... I too would love to live through this...
    best of luck smitty

Tim, brEad and nunattax like this.