Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Aluminum polishing in New England

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51box, Nov 29, 2019.

1. 51box

51box
    from MA

Anyone have a place they can recommend in MA or surrounding New England that does aluminum polishing? I have some Cadillac speed parts I’d like to get done.

Thanks, Joe

2. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Hey Joe, it is labor intensive but you can do it yourself. I bought the cheapo buffing wheels and variety pack of compounds at the swapmeet.
    The wheels that go on your drill. Good luck

Just Gary likes this.
  3. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

X2 on the you can do it yourself. But as has been stated it is labor intensive, very.
    It comes down to what is your time worth?

Just Gary likes this.
  4. 51box

51box
    from MA

Its one of those things I’d rather farm out. I have an as cast intake that would not be enjoyable to do.

5. pitman

pitman

Might ask one of the plating shops. I had chromework done at J&E in Dover, NH.
    Heard there is someone over Henniker way.
    J&E closed up shop.

6. jvo

jvo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Go find a truck stop. Those super truckers spend all day Saturday polishing their trucks so they can go get them dirty all week again. I know, I used to be one, but got real tired of that really early in my career. There are always guys hanging around truck stops or putting messages on bulletin boards at the truck stops for polishing all those big aluminum wheels and tanks.

7. 34Larry

34Larry

Eastwood has everything you need to do it yourself. I polished my dual quad hemi intake and really liked doing so. So much satisfaction also.
    Check it out here.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    Just Gary likes this.
  8. BigJim394

BigJim394

My brother used to get his alumninum Harley parts at South Shore Plating in Quincy Mass
    Always came out great
    Google them...they have a website

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

There is a lot of file work and sanding before you think about polishing. Bob

10. alchemy

alchemy

Amen. When I'm doing a pair of my taillights I have about 4 hours in sanding and 1 hour buffing.

The37Kid likes this.
  11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This gent did my finned aluminum valve cover for my 292. I had a clean never installed casting and he did a spectacular job on it Andrew Tants [email protected] Guys keep him busy so the turn around isn't super fast but the quality is top notch.
    First three are the before shots that I sent him to get a quote. Last one is when I took it out of the box when I got it back. IMG_1889.JPG IMG_1886.JPG IMG_1885.JPG IMG_2019 (2).JPG

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Some reading
    20170120_143805.jpg

Attached Files:

The37Kid likes this.
  13. The37Kid

The37Kid

AmeliaMillerEngine.jpg

A MILLER for motivation. Bob

winduptoy, alfin32 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. alchemy

alchemy

DIY is not really that hard, it just takes time. Here's my (oversimplified) process for starting with as-cast aluminum:

1. Rough sand to 36 grit all sprues and parting lines. I use my big belt sander, but you could use a grinder to start as long as you don't get carried away and make grooves.

2. Sand with 80 grit the complete surface you want polished. This is like the blocking of bondo, it will establish the final surface smoothness. Any little dips or waves should be gone when you are done with the 80. You must remove all traces of the 36 grit scratches. It's just like polishing paint, if you leave a scratch from the rougher grit it will never be sanded out by the time you go to the smoother grit. I use one of these for all sanding from 80 through 800 https://www.lowes.com/pd/PORTER-CABLE-120-Volt-2-Amp-Corded-Sheet-Sander/3275833

3. Then sand each surface with 150, 220, 400, 600, and 800. I use all dry papers on the sander shown in step 2, and sometimes need to replace the paper often. Some very narrow surfaces will buff easily with only a sanding to 220 grit, but if you want a nice polish that isn't too hard to buff, go all the way to 800 everywhere.

4. First buffing is done on a spiral sewn buffing wheel with black emery compound. I have a buffing wheel set up for just this purpose, but putting a wheel on your bench grinder will work fine as long as it doesn't spin too fast. You will also need to have a bit of wiggle room around it. Places like Eastwood and many others sell smaller buffing wheels and pointed tips to get into nooks and crannies, but I don't have a lot of experience with them.

5. When buffing I hold the part to the wheel at many angles, just like when block sanding paint. This helps prevent pushing or melting any minute pits and causing drawn out craters. A light touch for longer time is better than a heavy touch in a hurry.

6. It might take quite a while to "season" your buffing wheel. I never use one of those toothed cleaners on my spiral wheel since I've gotten it loaded with a nice layer of compound. I add black emery every couple minutes while buffing, and once the wheel heats up you can feel the polish taking place much easier. Keep at it until all surfaces have a nice shine, no scratches or blur left. You can wipe off too much compound with lacquer thinner if you need to.

7. After all the black emery work is done, I clean the part with lacquer thinner to get all that rough grit off. Now you are ready for the white rouge final buff. This is done with a loose wheel, and if you don't have one at least an inch wide I'd recommend putting two next to each other. Load the wheel with white rouge, but it won't be making a coating on the surface like the black emery. Then place the part to the wheel and I like to feed the part downward. So you are buffing from the bottom to the top of the part. Seems to work good to keep your grip, as well as leave a nice shine that is clearer. This final buffing is much quicker than all the work you do with the black. Then clean it again with lacquer thinner and check your work.

The37Kid, pitman and kidcampbell71 like this.
  15. Alchemy is on point. ^^^

When I had a TV in the garage ... I just sat in a chair and ran a host of slowed air tools on my aluminum. Then nothing but hands ... and the slow drip of time.

( Be sure to cover everything that you don't want black on. )

For all the bitch'n regarding aluminum polishing ... I get it. It is easier than polishing steel, though. Don't need welders ... to fill in divots & pits.

For that ... I sent my crap to 117Harv.

winduptoy likes this.