Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Time change and winter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by in the weeds, Dec 3, 2019.

1. in the weeds

in the weeds
    from Kansas

Any body else find that the time change and going into winter just suck. I used to just go all the time.I didn't care if i had to set up work lights to keep working out doors or just worked on other stuff i had to do inside. The older i get the more i hate time change.And i haven't even broke 50 yet. I have learned that i am a very light oriented person, when it stays daylight till 9 oclock i can go like mad, but when fall roles around and time change occurs it just sucks. I go to work in the dark i come home in the dark or it is dark within the hour of me getting home. Alot of days are gloomy, cold rainy. By the time i get home my getty up is done. I look at the clock and think man its only 6 i could go at it for 3 or so more ours but i just struggle to stay at it. They say certain parts of Alaska stays dark for sveral days in a row and they have special light rooms people can go into to keep them from feeling so gloomy. I could not handle that, when its dark i think go to bed when its light i think get something done!!. Anybody else find thier life like that???

2. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

"Hello Darkness My Old Friend
    Now You Come At 4 PM."

Yeah, they should leave the clock alone. Maybe it made sense 100 years ago, but it doesn't anymore.

rbrewer, Jet96, mad mikey and 8 others like this.
  3. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Effects me enough that I work 2nd shift (3pm-11pm) so I see sunlight all fall and winter.

4. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Hate the time change! Very hard to get motivated to do anything when it's already dark by the time I get to the farm. Even with heated shop it's hard to go out there after supper. If still light out, no problem.

5. squirrel

squirrel

What time change?

What winter?

Jet96, 31Dodger, Bandit Billy and 9 others like this.
  6. Just wait until you are in your 70s. It don't get any better.
    Yeah, I agree, it sucks. So I semi-hibernate.

rbrewer, King ford, Hombre and 4 others like this.
  7. Ziggster

Ziggster

Throw in several weeks with temps in high -20C and low -30C and you'll have a real picnic.

8. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

A young couple were traveling the rural backwoods of Maine during WW II, and getting low on fuel. Finally they spotted a service station and rolled in on fumes. They handed the attendant their Ration Card. "What's this?" he asked. "Our ration card". "Ration Card?"

"Yeah, you know ... because of the War." "War? What war?" "You know ... Adolf Hitler" "Who is Adolf Hitler?"

"Never mind that, fill 'er up, and we need 4 new tires!"

9. A lot of talk about trashing DST. May take a few years but I think it will happen.

10. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

WINTER...…...BahHumBug I say!
    Ah Spring, then glorious Summer, Fall brings the fun outdoors to an end as we transition to Winter.
    Yuck Winter!
    KK

11. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

It's up to the states, it isn't a federal requirement.

I remember some countries are/were 1/2 hour off everyone else, from GMT or Zulu. Turkey was one, I think.

12. AHotRod

AHotRod

I'm with ya brother .... I do not like the time change at all, and I to will work in the garage till 11 PM every night when it's daylight till 9PM. Now? .... just don't want to, but it could be that I finished my Coupe a couple of months ago and I don't have anything that I have to keep me busy now. And of course it flat cost to much to just start building another car just to keep busy. Guess I better dream up something new to do.
    Glenn

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  13. X-cpe

X-cpe

Hawaii too.

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  14. Wayne looney

Wayne looney
    from Roanoke va

It kills me more and more every year , its like when it changes in the winter it completely drains me, I've been wide awake at 1 or 2 am for the last month , some nights I'm in bed by ten pm and up by 2 am , wish they would just leave the time alone ..

15. in the weeds

in the weeds
    from Kansas

I am right thier the damn weather and short days kills my ambition but if i go to bed i can't get my brain to shut down, because i'm thinking of stuff i should be doing.

16. in the weeds

in the weeds
    from Kansas

Squirrel what time does it get dark in AZ this time of year?

17. 6sally6

6sally6

Seeing sunlight is sooo overrated! Graveyard shift for mosta my work 'life'!
    6sally6

18. in the weeds

in the weeds
    from Kansas

I have a cousin that lives in Minnesota, one day i was talking to him bitching it was 20 below hear, and he replies that (its been like that for weeks hear still good grillin weather). Yep crossed that state off my list of places to ever want to live.

19. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

I'm not a fan of winter but I have a pellet heater in my garage and in the winter is when I tend to work on my cars more.

chryslerfan55 and trollst like this.
  20. in the weeds

in the weeds
    from Kansas

I used to have a job in a refinery where we had to rotate days to nights every week. It payed good but it SUCKED, you always felt run down. I would come home from working nights and my brain would be thinking hey its light out you should get something done while the rest of me needed sleep.

chryslerfan55 and 1Nimrod like this.
  21. in the weeds

in the weeds
    from Kansas

22. Perseverance.......... Freezing ass cold, or ball sweating hot, A hot rodder does not make?
    I can bitch about the seasons, but if it's uncomfortable, I chose the path, and will do my dammed'est to prevail against! It's only gonna get done if you do it.......... There's always excuses........

23. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

time to move to that perfect place

24. in the weeds

in the weeds
    from Kansas

I am fortunate to have central heat and air in my shop 40x60. i can be all kinds of comfy year round but when the sun goes down i start running out of ambition. Told my wife thier better be a night light in my casket or i'm gonna be pissed!!. she was like your only 47 to wich i replied one never knows

25. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

My shop is a carport, open on the sides to the weather, so when the days get short and the temps get below 60*, not much gets done.
    I think time zones were created for the railroad way back when, so they could keep up with their trains arrival times. So, they are a compromise, I would love for ours to be about 1/2 hour later year round and stay on regular time. That would put sundown about 8:30 pm in the summer and about 5:30 in the winter.

I don’t do good in cold weather anymore either. I prefer to hug a heater than go out and get cold trying to do things. Cold affects Arthur more, and he’s bad enough a pest without any help!

chryslerfan55, Redrodguy and 1Nimrod like this.
  26. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kentucky legislature is considering doing away with the time change.

27. squirrel

squirrel

around 5:30 down where I am. But Arizona is a big state.

28. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

That shop space should be motivation enough!
    There are fluorescent bulbs that emulate sunlight. For me, the quietness of nigh time working in the garage at night gets to me. No traffic on the street, no birds, greatly reduced air traffic and neighborhood day time type noise, plus being tired from working all day tells your mind it's NOT time to work.
    The cold doesn't help, especially when your hands get cold. Yeah, it's Socal, but without any heat you do feel it. It's a real damp cold here that gets to your bones. I'm much colder here at 50 degrees than at 30 degrees in the crisp snow.
    TV or Loud music helps, and if it's getting late, earbuds work well. Plan small tasks that take an hour or so. Tell yourself you're going out to the garage after dinner for an hour. You may find you stay longer. If not, you got an hour's worth of work done.

29. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

On the bright side..... in a few weeks the days start getting longer again!

30. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Those are "Lets go to the beach," temps in Greenland!