Register now to get rid of these ads!

New guy (long time lurking)

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Jimhu, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Jimhu

Jimhu

Figured I'd throw something out to say hello. Been reading lots here all the time for many years, always wanted a '30's Ford but having 14 vehicles now (including my 4 Harley's) the wife says that should hold me. The oldest is my 1940 Chevy KC 1/2 ton, 53,000 original miles, absolutely zero rust other than the chrome. Whoever bought this truck undercoated every square inch, down to the carb and air cleaner! 216 runs great, I put dual carbs on offy intake, and Fenton dual exhaust. Not a race car but it will now do 65 easy :)
    It's 100% original and 100% there, awesome truck to me. My daily driver in the summer.
    Been turning wrenches all my life, dealerships most of it, worked for myself while in highschool and right after for a few years, did VW's for lots of years, I loved those things, buses and bugs up to 1967 model year, then on to Datsun/Nissan dealerships. I was shop foreman about the last 15 years or so of working dealers, got the shits of it all and went back to college, got into computers, server engineer, all that, then retired.
    In martial arts (Take Kwon Do) about 45 years now, best thing I ever did!
    Anyway, I throw some answers out if it's something I've seen before, I don't like guessing.
    This is a great site, and if I ever do get my hot rod I'll get my info here.
    Jim 1514225055213.jpeg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Welcome, Jim, from Southern Maryland. Great intro and great life story. Enjoy your HAMBtime and don't be shy about contributing.............Don.:)

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  3. Welcome, and a GREAT Intro! Hot Rods have always been just a hobbie for me. I appreciate your, and everyone's knowledge. There's lots of talented people on here. Thanks for sharing. That's a Great looking pickup! { Take Kwon Do } So I'm guessing no one bothers you either. lol Ron...........

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Jimhu

Jimhu

Thanks guys, appreciated!
    More like I learned not to bother anyone else lol!

5. Jimhu

Jimhu

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

hahahah, won't be long now, we'll see your "hot rod" build thread ......

welcome!

7. Jimhu

Jimhu

Hey Flathead, I'm hoping!!!
    Might have to sell one or two of my "toys" first, but who knows, those '30's Fords with a flathead 8 have always been one I've wanted to have, nothing sounds like a flat 8!

8. Welcome to the site. HRP

9. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

What a great intro- It fascinated me, PM sent.
    Welcome to the H.A.M.B. Study the rules (do not believe those that say the site is for pre 65 cars)
    Any help that you offer will be returned x10.

10. Jimhu

Jimhu

11. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome to a most interesting automotive universe of diversified machines and personalitys !
    Dennis.

12. Jimhu

Jimhu

13. Jimhu

Jimhu

There are so many builds going on you can never get bored, and always pickup some bit of info you hadn't known or a different way to approach an issue. I like the way different people approach a problem and how they look at it, and then so many other options that are usually just as valid a way as any, just different. And you don't hear the whiny bitchin' 'cuz you have a different view as what you see in some sites. Soon as I see the bs going I'm done, don't have room for that crap.
    Gonna be a help one day when I get my own build going some day when I get rid of something I already have. Bad thing is it's so damn hard to part with something you spent a lot of time getting, wrenching, making right! I worked at a buddy's body shop for about 4 years just to learn body work (usual body work, frame pulling/squaring, welding, all that), taught myself painting with a friend who is a pro painter, so I usually strip my builds down to the last bolt, blast every inch, prep the metal so no more rust issues, do all the mechanical, all the body, all the paint, all the interior, every inch of all my vehicles is done 100% by myself, absolutely nothing gets farmed out. I'm thankful to God for giving me the abilities I have. I do all my house work too, plumbing, electrical, construction, no one has ever set foot in my 60 year old house for anything. Something else I'm thankful for. Learned a lot from my dad, he grew up in hard times and if you wanted to make it you damn well better be able to do it yourself, and do it right the first time!
    Enough blabbing, thanks to all.
    Jim