Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 51 buick air conditioning

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by john6shooter, Dec 3, 2019.

1. john6shooter

john6shooter
    from texas

haven:t posted in awhile so here is a recent set of pics of swap meet parts installed in the buick,made a few brackets and hoses and now have air in the old girl,also found a complete set of new old stock bumper guards, IMG_0843.JPG IMG_0838.JPG IMG_0839.JPG IMG_0841.JPG

2. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Nice clean install - you might need an electric fan on the condenser in the hot weather.

3. john6shooter

john6shooter
    from texas

so far so good but haven"t been in the high 90"s either, car runs pretty cool with that big radiator, I bought that radiator for a big block 427 engine I was going to put in this car, but that 8 ran so good I could not bring myself to take it out ,slow , but pretty dependable for an old engine. will keep an eye on temps when summer rolls around,thanks

4. Nothing quite as rewarding as building a system and install. Lots of brackets for SBC's, but I built mine also.

As for the electric fan, I believe the point being made is that the condenser, which is much smaller than the radiator, may not get the airflow needed to cool the refrigerant. The condenser blocks about 40% of the engine radiator. The (current) engine fan will pull air around the condenser at low speeds/stop, not through it.

TrailerTrashToo and ted kovacs like this.

5. Ziggster

Ziggster

Make sure you install a receiver/drier preferably with a sight glass. Also seal that compressor back up if things haven't been permanently installed as the PAG oil in it will soak up moisture like a sponge, and that will create acids that will ruin everything.

6. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Who built the radiator?

7. Nice, John! I have what looks like the same MK IV in my '50. You managed to get your compressor/alternator lower than I did. I like that.
    Where abouts in TX are you? Are we close?

Ben

8. john6shooter

john6shooter
    from texas

I am in medina just south of Kerrville texas ,where are you?

9. john6shooter

john6shooter
    from texas

I did all that ,thanks

10. john6shooter

john6shooter
    from texas

I see you are in about 5 and a half hours away,i get up there several times a year, one of our customers lives up there and I have to pick up his motorhome for service,next time I come up I will get in touch,would like to see the buick,its been a few years if I recall talking to you

11. john6shooter

john6shooter
    from texas

wizard out of new York state,i can look through my records and get you an address if you want

12. NOW I remember! Loved that car when you were doing the build. Then the one from MT came along and I became confused, [ not difficult any more ] and thought you had moved and changed directions. Happy I was/am wrong.
    The AACA folks, above the line, can be just as persnickety as the HAMB can. One just has to be careful what is said and pictured.. The Buick Forum folks down below in the Modified forum would eat that car up.
    I really like my "hopped up " 263.
    Please do get in touch next time up here. Looking forward to that.

Ben

13. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you, I appreciate it!