Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Finally back on the Phaeton 1934

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff J, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Jeff J

Jeff J

Started back on the Phaeton 1934 Ford started fixing the top as had to cut out the bows and weld new ones in that I did 30 plus years ago putting this car aside and building others . But it's time to finish it as I promised my buddy BOB K. that I would get it done . The reason I built this top 30 plus years ago when I had my hot rod shop in California that I sold and moved to N.C. Problem over the years it kinda got used as a shelve and stuff kept getting put on it and yes the bows bent. Then Istarted the business making firewall rubber boots that my friend Bob K. keep encouraging me to continue with as which I'm doing. This year at Louisville,Ky. I won Product Of The Year Award . there . Pretty cool deal for a redneck in the woods to win . Sad, that Bob wasn't there to see it with me . As maybe alot of you don't know or you do he was my best friend for over 45 plus years . Even stood up at my starter wife's wedding with Maggie before they where married . Any way here's what's going on making the top and forming the edges with fiberglass as the whole top will be done about a 1/8 thick then covered in convertible top material .

Attached Files:

2. Jeff J

Jeff J

Made some head way on it today . Glassed up the front half tomorrow work on the rear frame work phaeton and grill 011.JPG phaeton and grill 010.JPG

3. Jeff J

Jeff J

Little better front look , will be covered with convertible top material more than likely what I've been told r suggested to use is Mercedes top material. That would be phaeton and grill 008.JPG after I paint it to seal it up before the material goes on . The metal tubing on top is just to keep the flat fiberglass panel level where i'm glassing the side end caps that I made till it sets up and drys.

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. Jeff J

Jeff J

Got the flat panel done for the rear of the top and made the corner templates for the rear driver's corner and laid down some more fiberglass mating and resin . Have to do a C radius from the top of the rear door to the top frame work if that make sense on the last picture. PHAETON 001.JPG PHAETON 003.JPG PHAETON 004.JPG PHAETON 006.JPG PHAETON 005.JPG

5. Jeff J

Jeff J

ready to lay some more fiberglass to finish the top tomorrow phaeton 003.JPG phaeton 002.JPG phaeton 001.JPG

6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Carson Toppish...cool...looking good @Jeff J

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. jnaki

jnaki

Hey J,

Great work on those steering boots. I could have used one on both of the 40 Ford Sedan Deliveries we owned in the 60s-70s. “Where were you in 62?” Ha…times gone past… I like the work you are doing on the 1934 Phaeton. It sure looks like it will be top notch in the finished build.
    upload_2018-9-2_5-22-36.png

Back when I was a photojournalist, I followed a build in Goleta, CA on a very similar construction by a great guy named “Big Hearted Ken.” He was an absolute character. Wire frame glasses with a different color in each lens, a cool cap, and a personality that was just classic. I titled the article for a magazine called “California Top.” The top was just one of many ideas that happened to be put on a 34 Phaeton owned by Lee Hammock from Santa Barbara.

We spent many days up there photographing the creation and build of the top as well as the finished photo shoot days. Since we love the Santa Barbara/Goleta area, we did not mind the drives up the coastline and back to Orange County. It was just a plus that I was able to follow the build. Those were the last of the 35mm and 2.25 Ektachrome slides I had found in our files.

Jnaki

upload_2018-9-2_5-27-59.png
    Lee Hammock's 34 Ford California Top Phaeton.

GOLETA, CA... STOW HOUSE BUILT IN 1873

upload_2018-9-2_5-24-54.png
    upload_2018-9-2_5-25-15.png
    upload_2018-9-2_5-25-31.png
    upload_2018-9-2_5-25-44.png

Earlier HAMB thread post

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...a-nice-rear-end.1099639/page-19#post-12487251

8. Jeff J

Jeff J

Thank you . the award was a complete honor to win ,as i'm a small guy or should say a red neck in the woods wins against big companies is pretty cool deal . still pinch myself to see if it was real . thanks

9. Jeff J

Jeff J

Laid the last coat of glass onto it today ready to cut the mail slot rear window tomorrow . Not to bad only 3 gallons of Evercoat Fiberglass Resin and 12 packages of the mat 30 X 38 from Evercoat and about 2 quarts of harden resin .guess you could say the opps resin shit sets up pretty fast as it's in the high nineties . Grinding tomorrow , yuck is all I can say about that . The part that makes ya itch .
    Phaeton 001.JPG Phaeton 002.JPG Hard to predict in about 2 minutes the difference it sets up . In same amount of batches

10. Jeff J

Jeff J

Finally finished all the work om the top ready for spraying epoxy primer .What a job ,going to be a long time before I do another top from scratch . But I do like it now and it was worth it . The rims have to go . But they're good mock up rims and tires . as they where free . Glassed the metal bows to the top. Phaeton 016.JPG flood 013.JPG flood 014.JPG flood 015.JPG flood 016.JPG

11. Jeff J

Jeff J

Trying to figure out the back window so I can really see out ! Most cars I've been in you really can't see out the rear window worth a darn. So setting up a laser by the windshield mirror and drilling small holes in the top area to see if I can get the right height as got it down to two areas ! After going back and forth to the wife's 34 sedan and measuring and setting the laser up there too and getting measurements . Finally came up with the right area and cut it out ! Think I got it seems to be good ! boots 034.JPG boots 035.JPG boots 036.JPG

12. Jeff J

Jeff J

Back on the Phaeton again working on the hood side panels . Welding them in . using lots of clamps. Welded a 3/16 rod on the edge of the hood on the back side by the doors to give it a little more stiffness Finish welding both of the sides this weekend more time than I thought it would take .! 34 Phaeton 039.JPG 34 Phaeton 041.JPG 34 Phaeton 047.JPG 34 Phaeton 068.JPG 34 Phaeton 073.JPG 34 Phaeton 080.JPG

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  13. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Hartz cloth , made in mass somewhere.

14. Jeff J

Jeff J

I'm lost on the comment ?

15. Any updates on this awesome construct, Jeff? You know, a layer of insulation would help greatly in the Arizona sun! My thoughts run....

Stogy likes this.
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

X2...He hasn't been on since Dec 2019...but this year has been a atmosphere changer...so he will have some flashing flags on his Hamb Browser when he dusts it off...

brady1929 likes this.