Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1951 Mercury resurrection!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wide34, Dec 3, 2014.

1. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Great weather here!
    Finished welds
    IMG_3382.JPG
    IMG_3383.JPG

Removed bracing, Sanded down roof and primed.
    IMG_3417.JPG IMG_3423.JPG

Reinstalled package tray and bracing
    IMG_3452.JPG

Laid in rear window-
    IMG_3454.JPG IMG_3457.JPG IMG_3460.JPG

Will be finishing up some patch pieces and then going to get it chemically stripped and dip primed. Happy with it so far!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. Looking good!!! Really like how the body line came out at the bottom of the window for the lower piece of trim. I saved all those pics to my reference folder for when I redo mine. :)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Great job on the rear window. It flows nice without the hump that many end up with to disrupt the smooth transition.

Sent from my SM-J337V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Sancho likes this.
  4. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Really appreciate your comments, I'm looking forward to seeing yours when its finished- hope you get some time to work on it. I keep looking at mine thinking "if I really busted my butt I could be ready for Stray Kat", then reality sets in when I think about how much I have left!
    Thanks for the comment, it took several tries to get it there but glad I kept trying.

Sancho and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Look'n just too kool! I cant wait to follow you a around..

6. LOL....get time to work on the Merc, put an engine in the chevy, disassemble and paint and upholster the A....and lets not even talk about my '64 Pontiac or my dad's '69 Mustang. LOL Hopefully you aren't holding your breath, cuz you'll be blue long before my Merc is done. LOL

Sancho and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Thanks Mick, would like to take this one to Dewey but I’m afraid that would be pretty optimistic! Looking forward to seeing you in May.

Sancho and straykatkustoms like this.
  8. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Priorities!

Sancho, drdave and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Starting the detail work, finishing quarters:
    IMG_3470.JPG
    IMG_3474.JPG IMG_3473.JPG

Filling gaps in doors
    IMG_3483.JPG

Finishing details are not my strength so I need some advise- would doors look better rounded off?
    IMG_3482.JPG

If the doors would look better how about the hood and trunk?
    IMG_3484.JPG IMG_2921.JPG

Appreciate any thoughts and thanks for looking.

Sancho, Squablow, drdave and 2 others like this.
  10. goldenidolcustoms

goldenidolcustoms
    from Pa.

I would round the corners on the hood and the lower trunk.If you were leaning the post I would definetly round them.If your not rounding I think they look better straight IMHO

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. John Stimac

John Stimac

Brilliant-using the 51 rear window is the only way to go. That flow is perfection to the
    profile look from the windshield to the rear of the top. I really admire your thinking.

Sancho likes this.
  12. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

I’m not going to lean the posts, appreciate your comments.

loudbang likes this.
  13. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Thanks for the comments.

loudbang likes this.
  14. I agree....since all the other corners are square, I’d keep everything matching and leave the doors square too

Sancho and loudbang like this.
  15. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

I agree all corners have to be either rounded or left square- I’m having a hard time deciding which would look better but am coming around to thinking the hood would look weird rounded.
    Decisions decisions decisions.......
    Merry Christmas everyone.

drdave, Sancho and loudbang like this.
  16. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

It's hard to believe its been almost a year since I've worked on the Merc, life sometimes gets in the way of my plans!
    I've had several inquiries as to what happened and the short story is I thought I had a chance to buy a 55 tbird which has always been my dream car and in turn was going to sell the Merc. Everything fell apart so no tbird and I've decided I really want to finish the Merc.
    The plan to chemical stirp the car has been abandoned as costs have skyrocketed since I had my pickup stripped so the next plan is to try the dustless blasting as soon as I finish the detail metal work. Earlier I had said the frame was rusted thru in the back sections and mostly because of my age and wanting to finish this before heirs have to deal with it I've decided to get an art morrison frame to save some time plus I believe their quality is A-1.
    In my overly optimistic mind I'd like to have the car done by 2022 but even I know that's a stretch. I wont have much to post until I get the detail work finished and the body mounted on the new frame but just wanted to let you know I'm back at it.
    I wish all of you Happy Holidays and a great 2021.

1959Nomad, williebill, drdave and 3 others like this.
  17. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Thanks for the update! We all get how life sometimes has other plans. We'll be here next time you have progress to share.

loudbang likes this.
  18. Glad to hear you are back at it. Looking forward to seeing how the frame swap goes. Should save lots of headaches.

Hope you have a great Thanksgiving!!

loudbang likes this.
  19. BigRRR

BigRRR

You sir are a genius with both design and execution ... so glad you updated your page otherwise I wouldn't have seen you thread ... there is so much to be learned here ... going back to the beginning and reading again ... amazing work and looking forward to your next post ... thank you

1959Nomad and loudbang like this.
  20. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Thanks, i appreciate the comments!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  21. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Thanks Dr. Dave and always glad to hear from you. Buying a frame probably sounds strange but I’d like to get this done ASAP and I know it will save me a lot of time from my experience building the frame for my pickup plus as I said before I know Morrison builds a quality frame.
    Hope to start getting out to car shows soon!

1959Nomad and drdave like this.
  22. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Wishing everyone a great 2021, hopefully it will be a lot better than 2020! Lots of bad things to say about the virus but at least one thing good is its kept me home to work on the Merc.
    As I said earlier most of the work now is detail stuff that needs to be done but doesn't show much progress.

Filling gaps, because of repositioning the hood and roof I've got lots of them:

IMG_0986.JPG IMG_0993.jpg IMG_1006.jpg
    IMG_1008.jpg IMG_1015.jpg
    Pulling dents and getting latches installed:
    IMG_1046.jpg IMG_1047.jpg IMG_1048.jpg

Bought new rear window gasket and laid window in opening to make sure there wouldn't be any gaps. Someone else will have to install it for me!

IMG_1029.jpg

Found a 351, c6, and 9 inch rear (I'm a ford in a ford guy!). 351 is from the 70's so definitely will be rebuilt, amazing the top end kits that are available. Thought seriously about trying the coyote engine but in the end knew that I couldn't program it and I still like to have some control over how it will run:

IMG_1038.jpg IMG_1041.jpg

Also had a change of plans on the frame, a friend of mine found a good frame so I will be using it but installing an IFS. I've had good results with my pickup so its a no brainer.

Next I'll finish the detail work, install the IFS and drivetrain, get the body blasted.

Thanks for looking and again I wish you a very Happy 2021!

23. Man, you’ve been busy!! Lots of good progress. I will have to say with the back window, I had installed all my other windows myself, but was nervous with that back window, so I paid a pro to install mine after I painted the top half of the car a few years back. Took him four hours. Drove the car to Indy and back and when I got home I noticed the bottom of the wi Dow had popped loose from the body. Decided to try fixing it myself, so I pulled the whole thing back out and dad and I had it reinstalled in less than 20 minutes. Still in, no leaks. You can do it!

Happy New Year!!!

Sancho, Peanut 1959 and loudbang like this.
  24. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Now I know who I’m going to call to put it in! I hate to admit this but it took my son and me an hour just to get the gasket on the window!
    Happy New Year to you also, hope we can get on the road sooooon!

25. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

I think (hope) I've finally gotten rid of all the rust!
    The doors weren't as bad as the rest of the body so very thankful for that!

IMG_1069.JPG IMG_1092 (2).jpg IMG_1098.jpg
    The left rear fender was worse than I thought, there are several layers of metal covering up the rust in the front photo and while I tried as hard as I could to find a replacement fender there just doesn't seem to be any out there so remade the front half of the fender
    IMG_1125.jpg IMG_1127.JPG IMG_1143.jpg

I'm hoping that end the rust battle but still have to get the body stripped so time will tell!

IMG_1108.jpg IMG_1147.jpg

Now I'm getting excited! Flathead is out and off to a good home, young guy is hoping to put it in a 27 roadster so I'm glad I could help him out- looking forward to seeing how he does! Best news is that the Fat Man front end arrived so busy laying out the swap- Fat Man makes it look easy, I'm having fun now!
    IMG_1061.jpg IMG_1149.jpg

Thanks for looking.

26. Bet you are glad to have the rust battle won and moving on to "fun" stuff! SK is only 8 weeks away, but I think you can make it (says the guy who is worried if he has enough time to finish setting up new carbs in the same amount of time). Haha!!

Sancho and loudbang like this.
  27. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

I have registered for SK and got a room but this one won’t be done by then, hoping it’s ready by 2022 SK. Really looking forward to getting together. Also tried to register for Gathering at the Roc but can’t figure out what’s going on with that one. Several guys from here registered before we did and have been accepted, 5 of us registered about 3 weeks later and we haven’t heard anything, my sons registered about a month later and have gotten reject letters. Assume ours got lost!
    Hope you are doing well and see you in May!

Sancho, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  28. Well that is a conundrum, isn't it? Wouldn't hurt to send them another email to confirm at least that they got your entry. Super great show, sure enjoyed it last year. Hopefully this year I'll make less of an entrance....the new zero mile motor in the chevy overheated right in the middle of the whole works last year coming in. LOL

Sancho, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

The Fat Man install was fun! Written instructions weren't very good but they've done several videos on utube that are outstanding. My first time using a Fat Man product (My truck has a heidt's IFS which I had to cut up and widen so its hard to compare) and I highly recommend it.
    They will tell you many times measurements are critical in order to get it installed correctly! The lines on the floor are the reference points.
    IMG_1149.jpg
    They provide the plates including a tapered plate to smooth the bottom transition.
    IMG_1157.jpg IMG_1155.jpg
    The stub is then "hammered" in place leaving 1/4 inch gap to assure full weld and welds ground down
    IMG_1161.jpg IMG_1167.JPG
    If measurements are correct stub will be level and components are bolted in.
    IMG_1164.JPG IMG_1169.jpg IMG_1171.jpg IMG_1172.jpg
    I had some 17 inch tires to use as rollers and as you can see even with these I'm sitting pretty low, may have to change spindles!
    IMG_1175.jpg IMG_1180[87233].jpg

Thanks for looking and Happy St. Pat's day!

30. Too low?!! Are you on the right forum? Haha!! Looking great!