Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1956 packard pretty durable car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1953 chevy, Dec 1, 2019.

1. T. Turtle

T. Turtle

Yup that servo apparently dies without warning. Avoid.

2. v8flat44

v8flat44

My dad had a 56 Carribean soft top, drove Packards till 58 when he switched to lincoln. We lived in rural Ohio & he would drive me to school on his way to work. That car was A W E S O M E. Two 4's , 372 c. i.
    & went like a bat outa >>>>. Could tell lots of Packard tales, but i type 4 crap & it'd take too many words. "Ask the man who owns one" !

Hnstray and egads like this.
  3. Squablow

Squablow

These cars have the least conveniently located master cylinder I've ever dealt with. Mine had the factory power brake setup on it yet and it worked amazingly well, very little effort required to send you through the windshield, but really hard to access the cover even to check the level.

egads likes this.
  4. egads

egads

Nothing wrong with a treadle-vac system. All the part's are available, easy to rebuild, and work great.

5. 62rebel

62rebel

Well, I guess I need to re-read up on treadle vac and "larn sumpin" more about them than my old opinions. Just to know.

egads likes this.
  6. Back before we where married Debbie and I drove a 40 Packard from Pocahontas all the wat to Rockford ill. It wanted to overheat in St Louis. Just had water in the radiator. I drained it and refilled it with antifreeze and it never heated up again. It was a comfortable ride. the flathead six and three on the tree worked flawlessly. a few years later A worthless teen was hiding in the car smoking weed and caught the interior on fire and it burnt to the ground.

Hnstray likes this.
  7. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back about 1959-60 there was an older gentleman that had a black 57-58 Packard. He ran at Madera, Half Moon Bay, Fremont etc in A/SA as I recall and was tough to beat!! I ran him quite a few times in my 57 Pontiac.

stillrunners likes this.
  8. 1953 chevy

1953 chevy
    from tucson

I've rebuilt both types on 7 different cars not a single problem

Sent from my LG-K550 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

stillrunners and egads like this.
  9. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Sell it to Jim!! I've never seen that model Packard with a straight axle! :D

10. Most of them got dumped because they were expensive to work on or get parts for, the Ultramatic could be a tipping point for many. Not a bad transmission as far as generic rebuilds go. I recall my uncle driving one around 1962, got it cheap from a disgusted owner.

egads likes this.
  11. 62rebel

62rebel

Well, I read up on treadle vac and it is a good system with a couple of weak points; the anodized lining of the master cylinder and the propensity to leak fluid internally without due maintenance... it must be checked every couple of years and the fluid changed. Now... imagine leaving one sit for fifty years... it's gonna fail, regardless. Rebuild it asap and schedule another one two years later.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've always had a soft spot for Packards ever since I was at a family picnic in about 56 or 57 and a new jet black Caribbean convertible with a red interior cruised though the park with the top down. I was nine or ten years old and the vision of that car has stuck with me ever since.
    As for that sedan in question it looks too straight and solid to butcher for the parts. Even if it doesn't get full resto it deserves to be brought up to snuff mechanically and get driven some.

bobss396, 62rebel and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  13. 1953 chevy

1953 chevy
    from tucson

Thank you guys for the good words and memories that's what this hobby is about I always live by if a car survived for 65 years without being crushed and is a survivor its a good candidate for making it a driver or pass it on to someone that wants a reasonable driver.

14. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Got any pics of the whole car?

15. 62rebel

62rebel

Other than the taillights, and even those are something "kemp" builders use, what would be the selling point of any of the rest, except to somebody restoring them? I ask, because it seems counter intuitive to destroy an intact (more or less) low production car just to sell it piece by piece (even then, it may take months if not years to find buyers for all of it before the trigger gets pulled on scrapping the rest....)

Hnstray likes this.
  16. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

I think I see a pushbutton shifter pod. Super rare option! Only offered a few months. There is a servo motor on the tranny. The way the story goes is that, if you parked on a steep hill and put it in park the motor didn't have enough power to take it out of park and blow a fuse.
    Also the load leveling is a blast. Set on the trunk and the car levels itself.

Hnstray likes this.
  17. They made standard transmissions like everyone else..........

egads and Old wolf like this.
  18. Packard s were good in the day - Studebaker parted ways just like GM did to the Oldsmobile and Pontiac lines.........

egads likes this.
  19. Will make a nice cruiser. Too nice to part out.

20. Wayne looney

Wayne looney
    from Roanoke va

Lady in our neighborhood drove a 55 or 56 clipper 2 door hardtop when I was growing up , tri tone two blues and a white, I remember the name a clipper constellation. It Was used in the 80s for the movie dirty dancing as a set car while they filmed at mountain lake here in VA . I loved the dash in that car !

21. 1953 chevy

1953 chevy
    from tucson

Here is some better pictures reason its setting up in the rear is the auto level is stuck in up position. 20191203_164904.jpeg 20191203_164914.jpeg 20191203_164926.jpeg

22. arthurC3

arthurC3

My old boss had a two story barn full of Packards. He even had a '58 four foor with a Paxton Supercharger. He refused to sell me the Carribean convertible.They were all filled with raccoon droppings. It is a rare sight when these cars are driven.

Sent from my LG-H830 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. squirrel

squirrel

She's a beaut!

(can you hold your phone sideways when you take pictures, so the whole car fits in the picture?)

ClayMart, 41 GMC K-18 and Old wolf like this.
  24. 1953 chevy

1953 chevy
    from tucson

Might be worthless info but if anybody has a 56 packard and need brake hoses the rear hose is a 69 ford half ton and the front hoses are a 59 edsel both sets available locally. If you need part # s let me know.

Sent from my LG-K550 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

bobss396, 62rebel and low budget like this.
  25. 54vicky

54vicky

that leveling suspension may be fun it was quite the engineering feat at the time.

26. fleetside66

fleetside66

That's one kick-ass engine turned dash.

27. 62rebel

62rebel

No such thing as worthless information

bobss396 and raven like this.
  28. 1953 chevy

1953 chevy
    from tucson

Here is the bendex tredel vac apart its a little easier to build than the delco moraine. 20191209_174336.jpeg

62rebel, squirrel and egads like this.
  29. egads

egads

My bench looked like that last week:D, easy to do and work's great. ( 56 Old's 88 )

30. 62rebel

62rebel

We are custodians of arcane knowledge... 500 years ago we'd have been either burned as witches or celebrated as wizards

Torchie likes this.