Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jeep T90 3spd trannies?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Levis Classic, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

Anyone ever use one in a hot rod? They seem plentiful and adapt to a SBC easily. full syncro of 2nd and 3rd, and it has a top shifter like a 39 Ford.

Let me know.

2. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

I used to be a jeeper. I built two a 1969 and a 1942. T90's are plentiful, but they don't handle much power. The only thing that keeps them kinda working in a jeep behind a V8 is that the transfercase tends to break first! :D

Keep in mind that the T90's were built to handle....what....60-80 hp or something like that.???

Mike

3. Go Devil

Go Devil

I've dealt with plenty of T-90's and just finished a rebuild of one a few weeks ago.
    Plenty of service items are available at Napa as well as most Willys restoration suppliers.

In my experience with these transmissions is that with oversize tires spinning in gravel and finally 'hooking-up' on asphalt, axle shafts and u-joints fail before the transmission.
    I know of no weak link with this transmission.
    Most of the ones that I rebuild are at least 50 years old and the only commonly worn items are the reverse idler gear and the bronze syncronizers.
    Most of the damage I find is from water sitting in the bottom for 30 plus years (pitting from rust).
    Realize that most of these have been under the care and feeding of your rural Bubba.
    And contrary to what most believe, those old Jeeps can't go everywhere.
    Most of these T-90's are mated with a transfercase for four wheel drive.
    I am not sure what one might have to do to put a yoke on the rear for a drive shaft.
    A DJ-3A (early postal Jeep) has a side shift (column) T-90 with a rear yoke, these are a bit more scarce. I've been looking for one for my Willys hop-up project and so far have had no luck.
    Hope this helps.