Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Finally My '26 Chevy Roadster Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Six Ball, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Glad to see this Chevy moving forward!

Six Ball likes this.
  2. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

The frame can't go much farther until the body is together so we can get some measurements. We'll be making some serious wood vs steel decisions soon.

Stogy, TFoch and 29EHV8 like this.
  3. So cool tk see you, yoyr son and your buds getting this reet project happening!
    It looks like I will be running an electric fuel pump in our T project cuz were running Eagle H Beam rods.

-Shiny

Stogy and Six Ball like this.
  4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Fantastic :) great to see progress!

Six Ball likes this.
  5. Rusty J

Rusty J

Do you still need parts for your '26? I recently came across a collector with a substantial stash of cars in varying states of decay.

6. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Right now I think I have what I need except for some really nice wood parts. What part of the world are theses in? I will soon be hauling all of the body panels and wood pieces along with a bucket of metal brackets down. We may find something is missing then. Thanks.

Stogy, loudbang and TFoch like this.
  7. Rusty J

Rusty J

All located in The Great White North (Manitoba, Canada)

Six Ball, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  8. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Many of my parts came from a friends stash of T and early Chevy parts. The good stuff is inside. 100_0195.jpg

TFoch, Stogy, 6inarow and 1 other person like this.
  9. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

THE valve cover arrived yesterday.
    191204_0001.jpg 191204_0002.jpg

It is the one of several others that will be used. I have one of the cute CHEVY ones that has some bad pitting and would require a spacer to clear the roller rockers. There was the cut down GMC that exceeded my skill level, and would have needed an adapter. The Frontenac is a poor casting, too big, and also needs an adapter. The Duggan needs some machining and an adapter. The new one form 12 Bolt Tom is perfect! Quality casting and polish job. It will clear the rollers and bolt right on. I just need to put a pair of old breathers on it and done. I spent too much time fussing with this so I'm moving on. I bought the side cover that goes with it a long time age. At least one of the others will be used on the other Chevy that is emerging from the pile. Oh I forgot the MerCruiser cover, don't like it and it wouldn't clear the roller rockers. 100_2408.jpg 100_1467.jpg 170624_0002.jpg patterns3.jpg

10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looks slick, that’s the first time I’ve seen one and could see the rounded edges. It’s a nice piece for sure!

loudbang and Six Ball like this.
  11. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Thanks, I really like it. I've wasted a lot of time on similar indecision about springs, axles, intakes, headers........ Part of it was not realizing that I was trying to make the roadster do two jobs. It was most apparent when I thought about the '28 Chevy engine. Now I see that that is another project and then there's the Essex. One of the guys helping me is the one who gave me the Essex motor. He may get that whole project.

OFT, Stogy, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  12. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

While cleaning up the flywheel I found some cracks that I'm afraid won't come out with surfacing. They run outward from the edge of the center hole into the surface area. I'll have a shop look at it but I will likely need another one. It is casting # 3729004. It's 14" 168 tooth, 10.5 clutch, internal balance and was used on small block from "55-"62 in cars.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    OFT, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Ah bummer man

Six Ball, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  14. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I'll get 'er! :D

loudbang and Tim like this.
  15. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I got a little done today spending a few hours out in the low 30s but sunny day. I got the front axle and springs off to my '29 Chevy parts frame. I'll move it inside and remove the parts I need. I have to get the springs off and cleaned so I can build the spring packs and modify the other axle. We need all of this to start locating everything else and do the frame.
    I've been squirting all of the shackle bolts and U-bolts with a 50/50 mix of ATF and paint thinner for a long time. All six shackle/spring bolts cam off pretty easy and all of the shackles, bolts, castle nuts, and old style zerks are good enough to use again. Now that I am thawing out my mashed finger is throbbing. This is a job I've been dreading for a long time and it wasn't near as bad as I thought it would be.

191216_0001.jpg 191216_0002.jpg

16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Funny how that happens. Glad it came apart easy, good progress!

Six Ball and loudbang like this.
  17. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

Six Ball Good progress, being able to split your pile! And now I know where the 171 is going!!??? Love your table, should be able to get that frame Nats Ass! Don't be shy with pic's!

18. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Grumpy, You're right about the 171. '24 Chevy cowl, Oliver nose, narrowed Dodge frame. other stuff from the pile.

It didn't get above 30 today and no sunshine but I got the springs off of the axle and the pitman arm and drag link. It all came of with a little muscle which is all I have left. All the nuts and U-bolts can be used as well as some other small stuff. The drag link end did not cooperate. I twisted it off of the ball on the knuckle on the spindle while trying to get it loose. But I don't need it and can fix it if I do. I'm getting into Tim Territory. The small parts are soaking in the parts washer. After they are clean they'll get a bath in EvapoRust. I'll tear the springs apart for cleaning along with another set form a Dodge pickup. Then put some packs together that will work with the ride height I'm looking for I hope.

I also figured out what my dad made a tool for that I've had since 1966 when I inherited his tools. It was a Craftsman 13/16 1/2" drive socket that he modified. It perfectly fits the slot in the ball sockets of the steering link ends.
    191217_0001.jpg 191217_0004.jpg

ct1932ford, Stogy, Jet96 and 9 others like this.
  19. Great to see your gettin on this hard! Keep at it!
    I've been looking for one of those CHEVY valvecovers for a while for my daughter T gowjob, they're so cool!

-Shiny

Stogy, loudbang and Six Ball like this.
  20. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Does the V & T roll by you guys?

21. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Shiny, My Chevy valve cover photographs much better than it is. I think they only used them on the early engines. Truly someone at GM had a sense of humor.

Typo41 The V&T is a few miles east of me. I can sometimes hear the whistle. One of the guys helping me works in the shops there. They do some amazing restoration and maintenance work on those old engines. They are completely rebuilding the boiler on one now. They are much more complicated than a tea kettle.

Today I got the '29 axle back in the pile and the '49 axle out. I squirted it all over with the magic mix. I squirted the shocks I want to use on an old pickup frame so I can get them in to clean up. I spent some time on another project so I can get it off the mill and out of the shop. It's a 6' piece of 90 lb railroad rail I'm making a drag out of. I have one more hole to bore then I can get it outside. Heavy mother for one old man to handle.

191219_0003.jpg

Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
  22. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

My headlight brackets got here today. They are going to work just fine with little cutting and shaping. It was the one spot I thought I might have to use a Ford part. Now it won't be Fordicated. :eek:
    s-l500.jpg

Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
  23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Those are a neat looking piece. Do they bolt to the fender and grill?

Six Ball and loudbang like this.
  24. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Originally yes, bolted to the fender and the radiator shell. I think some were aluminum. These are cast steel. I will cut the small end off at the headlight perch and bolt them to the frame rails curving back toward the radiator. I think they will look great. I'm not saying I'm the first to do this but I don't think I've seen it before. I can't see why it would not have been done before. If someone has please post it. So far parts are Chevy, Studebaker, and Jeep.

100_1878.jpg 100_1877.jpg

25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

26. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I got a little shop time in today amongst the Christmas prep. Finished cleaning the spring hardware and worked on the breathers and gaskets for the new valve cover, Probably the last till after Christmas.

Stogy, Countn'Carbs, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  27. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and yours Six Ball!!!!

Stogy, loudbang and Six Ball like this.
  28. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Same to you Grumpy! I'm looking forward to have the family here for a couple of days, and then getting back in the shop on the 26th. It's fun to make progress even in baby steps with snow shoes.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  29. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I got the body loaded and hauled to the build site. Also brought back the springs I hauled down earlier. I'll clean and build spring packs up here. Put in new bushings here too. 191226_0001.jpg 191226_0004.jpg 191226_0006.jpg 191226_0007.jpg 191226_0008.jpg 191226_0005.jpg

30. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Steady progress, great to see you keeping a good pace! Though those photos aren’t making my want for an old shop truck go away at all!