Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hemi 354 to Transmission

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bambamshere, May 12, 2019.

1. Bambamshere

Bambamshere

Hello I am thinking about picking up a 354 Hemi and was wondering if my T98 4 speed transmission would bolt up to it?

I have a 1956 Fargo 1 ton and it has a Flathead 251 in it right now. I plan on putting the 354 in to it. I may change the transmission down the line but for now that is what I have.

Any help would be appreciated Thanks

2. deucemac

deucemac

You might check with Patrick at Wilcap. He has many different transmission adapters. Hot Heads also handles his adapters.

3. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Are you sure it is a T98? I can't find any reference to T98's being used in Dodge (Fargo) Pickups. I can find reference to them being used in Fords ('48 to '64 Trucks), Jeeps ('55 to '72), and IH, with a few odd Military (mostly Kaiser built) applications thrown in. I know they would do odd things for the Canadian market, so anything is possible.

I can find a reference that says New Process 420's were used in 1956 Dodge Trucks.

At any rate, I think it may be difficult to find an adapter, unless the transmission shares it's bolt pattern with more common later model 4 spds (Ford Toploader, T18 / T19, New Process 435, etc.) you may end up with dual adapters, one to a common pattern, and then another plate to the T98 pattern.

Definitely check with Hot Heads and Wilcap. They will know for sure.

4. I got an OE Hemi starter flywheel and bellhouding from some kind of HD application
    Weighs a ton.

Hnstray likes this.

5. Bambamshere

Bambamshere

Its not an NP 420 or 435, its a Canadian built T98 Acme 4 spd truck trans.

Built by acme, in Ontario Canada for Borg & Warner.

Used in Canadian M37s, has the right side PTO cover. The Transfer case is very unique to this trans and getting scarce. The T 18 and regular T98 share a lot of the same internal parts. My trans, and his trans.

K so I guess I suck at getting back to people lol. But this is what I got from P14-D24 about my transmission. Still want to know if it would fit behind 354 hemi or should I go the 904 or 727 route

6. George

George

Sounds like there's better choices for a stick tranny than that truck one. What was it bolted up to originally? 904 won't work. Personally I like Quality Engineered Components' (He's 73RR here on the Board) 727 adaptor.

7. mkubacak

mkubacak

First off, I hate it when an auto is swapped into a vehicle originally equipped with a manual transmission. Shoot, I converted an OT vehicle from auto to manual. We need more manual transmissions in this world.

If you want to use your T98, you need to verify what the pattern on the input side of the trans is for the bellhousing and what the input shaft stickout is. Then you can see if an existing adapter or bellhousing will work, if nothing is available, then you will either need the money or the ability to have one made or make one. Almost anything can be adapted to fit, it just requires the right person to do it. If you are not that person, then you will need to pay to have it done.

You mention a transfer case. Do you plan to keep this four wheel drive? Do you want to keep that transfer case? Is your goal to keep all of the drivetrain original except for the addition of the Hemi?

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I do just the opposite.....gotta keep the Universe in balance....:D

Ray

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    Budget36 and Texas Webb like this.
  9. Bambamshere

Bambamshere

I just for some reason about 10 minutes ago bought a 318 LA motor and a 904 Transmission. Both came out of a 1970 Plymouth Cuda. I was thinking well not sure what I was thinking.

Anyways there has got to be a way of putting that transmission on that motor. I mean The tranny is from a 56 Fargo 1 ton and Engine was from a 1958 Dodge 2 ton.

I didn't get the tranny from 2 ton truck as it was taken out of truck 30 years ago. I bought engine this past May. It was missing some stuff off of it. Not adapter plate or even flexplate or flywheel.

10. George

George

Again, do you know what engine it was bolted up to originally?

11. Bambamshere

Bambamshere

No I do not know what was bolted up to originally. The person I got it from just said it had been taken out of a 1958 2 ton Dodge truck about 30 years ago. I was probably some sort of manual transmission. I do know because it was on the engine that it was hauling news papers around.

12. George

George

May have been a 354 truck hemi in '58 on a 2 ton. If so you're good to go.

13. Bambamshere

Bambamshere

Thank You

14. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Yup ive had 4 of them and still own 2.
    Came in M37s, Dodge and Fargo trucks too. Not sure why they are such a mystery. Limited production perhaps