Register now to get rid of these ads!

History IT'S NOT FOR SALE - I'M GOING TO RESTORE IT SOMEDAY

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Dec 1, 2019.

1. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

I have a 61 F100 LongBox Unibody that I have had around for 25 yrs. Was one of the first classics I bought. I have told soooo many people it's not for sale.

Through the years I bought a ShortBox Unibody and the Longbox just sits in the weeds. Well this summer, and last winter, my 19 yr old son started coming out and helping me on my ShortBox. And then his girlfriends dad put together a 67 C20. And then he went on a few cruises with us. Late this summer he says "I wanna buy that LongBox from you". I ask why and he says "I'm tired of being the odd guy out, I want to build that white truck." I told him, "You can just have it, I'm just happy you're interested".
    He says "No.....I want to buy it from you. I want it to be my truck that I bought with my own money." I said "so be it" and he has been working on it on some weekends when he is back from college, ready to start teardown this winter.

So glad I kept that truck around all these years...

2. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

Good story, I'm thinkin he will do you proud !! Relationships are the most important thing in life ,it's what tickles our heart, brings a tear to our eyes ,nothing more fulfilling in life then blessing family ,sharing the wealth , weather it's wisdom, knowledge , experiences , finances , or what's hiding in the garage , barn or under a tarp in the yard , you made a decision both of you will always remember , great job .

UNSHINED 2 likes this.
  3. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Danny, from what little I know you on here, You arent the picture I get in my mind when I think of the Grandpa from the "fixing Grandpas old truck up" idea, You are more like the Hot Rod Grandpa HRG:D...if one can think of you as a Grandpa at all, with your great young at heart enthusiasm for the old car hobby and/or Hot Rodding:cool:
    Big thumbs up! on what you did, I think you still have plenty of vehicles to stay in the game yourself:D...:cool:

4. Way to go Danny! Now you have room for another car.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Jalopy Joker and osage orange like this.
  5. catdad49

catdad49

Good for You, Danny! A Thankful day for both of you.

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  6. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

These words hold true for me also, I just like having them. :)

partsdawg and Boneyard51 like this.
  7. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

My son and grandson, can have any vehicle I own, except my DD and my two 65s! I play with them, but they never seem to get around to messing with them. My son has a wonderful shop, an excellent place to do it. They talk about it.... but it never happens! I guess the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree! Lol, I haven’t been doing much lately either. But when I was their age.........

Bones

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  8. GOOD call Danny! Bruce.

Thor1 likes this.
  9. Hey Bones,
    Have you ever spoken with them about it?
    Maybe they are too afraid to ask ?
    I didn’t mean that bad,,,,,,just that sometimes you never know what kids are thinking.

Take my son for example.

For years ,,,since he was little,,,,he had always hinted that he wanted my Challenger.
    I just always basically ignored the request,,,with some kind of answer that he was too young,,,,too inexperienced,,,or just plain out No.
    Well,,,the years pass by,,,,and he is not little anymore.
    He is almost 25,,,,taller than me,,,,better looking than me,,,,built up strong.
    I am so proud of him,,,and very pleased that he has surpassed me in all aspects of life so far.
    And not only that,,,but a fine upstanding young man !

Recently,,,he came into my bedroom while I was on the Hamb one night,,,he laid down on the bed,,,and said he had something he wanted to talk to me about.
    He started by saying that he had been thinking about things and the Challenger.
    He asked if I would sell him the car to keep it in the family.

I didn’t blink an eye,,,,I turned to him and said Great,,,,that was what I had been thinking lately !

Besides,,he will inherit all my stuff anyway,,,,,assuming my daughter doesn’t want any of it.
    It takes courage to ask your dad for something when he has always denied you before ,,,I admire him for that.
    Anyway,,,just an observation,,,from an old Daddy,,,that dearly loves his son !
    And Daughter,,,,Lol.

Tommy

10. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Danny , sounds like your a great Dad { get that radio in the car yet!} A great Grandpa { He will cherish this gift much more now that he can share it's progress with you than years from now after your gone!} and hell I bet push comes to shove Brenda says your ok as a Husband too! lol Larry

11. Thank you, our other daughter helped me figure out the iphone deal and actually had a older one, I was able to find a portable speaker and cable to attach the phone to the speaker, I now have music I can move from one car to another. HRP

12. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

No... that’s not the way it is in my case. I think it’s just plain cussed laziness, mainly on my sons part, the grandson just follows his Dads lead. He was with me from the time he could wipe his own butt, till he went into the Army. We lived in my shop, him helping me, me teaching him the things every guy should know.
    Things haven’t been the same since his Mom died, maybe that’s it?
    I got a wild hair a couple years back and listed a lot of my better cars and trucks, he then asked me to not sale them as he wanted to fix them up......... so I pulled my listings.

Bones

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  13. Sorry Bones,,,,,maybe it will work out still.
    You never know what the future holds,,maybe the Grandson will step up.

Tommy

14. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Let’s hope so... but I guess it’s still fun talking about what we’re going to do, even if we never get it done! Lol

Bones

Old wolf likes this.
  15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well if he has been working on the Mustang himself he should be able to manage the truck ok. Plus parts for the truck aren't all that rare and unobtainable.
    Maybe next year or so we will be seeing photos of it when he drove it in the yard for a family weekend.

osage orange and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  16. I think there is simply more stuff to do that takes our time than when us baby boomers where kids. I now spend considerable time on the internet. When I was a teen we only got one TV channel and reruns of the Beverly hillbillies became old pretty fast. So I spent a lot of time turning wrenches and breaking & fixing stuff. Today there is a lot varied activities more to do .

17. I’m the guy that says it’s not for sale...doesn’t bother me a bit when someone else does the same

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Boneyard51 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  18. Way to go Danny. I understand when someone says it's not for sale. It may be their dream build, and even if they never get to it. It's still their dream. My Hot Rods aren't for sell now. But I will give them away some day. I'll sell the ones that the kids don't want. Ron.......

raven, Boneyard51 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  19. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

This is so true. I remember growing up, my old man always had something for us to do. He worked second shift, in the mornings after he got up, I was in the garden, splitting wood, cutting grass, whatever he wanted done. My free time was after he went to work if I had my chores done. I was outside most of the time doing something, or if the weather was too bad, i my room with my model cars and my magazine collection reading. Now, most kids don't do chores other than taking out the garbage if they do that, their time is spent on their phones on the internet. After I got married, I was the one having to keep up my homeplace and vehicles, maybe a little TV at night. Now I spend too much time on the internet, could live without a TV, and not enough time on my vehicles. A young person now that has the desire to enter our hobby is fully supported by me. I'll help any way I can, because now it's me that needs a helping hand now and again. We all got started somewhere, and that truck is a perfect place for a young man to get that start into the old stuff we love.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  20. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

That is a gesture that neither you or he will ever forget. I'm sure you'll get closer with the truck strengthening the bond. And BONUS...you got another young guy waist deep into old cars. But tell him before it's too late....it's quicksand!!!!

Boneyard51 likes this.
  21. I know a guy that has a nice deuce frame sitting in the dirt (for years) and won't sell it. Going to use it or waiting until they are worth $10,000 like the winterfronts:rolleyes:. I just wish he would pick it up and put it inside.:confused:

Ron Funkhouser and Boneyard51 like this.
  22. 19Fordy

19Fordy

A friend of mine had this stash. Underneath the pile are a 50 Merc convertible and a 65 Corvette convertible. Photo taken in 2009.
    Both "someday" cars that sat like that for over 50 years. Sadly, the owner passed away last year before "someday" arrived. Don't let this happen to you.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    Boneyard51 likes this.
  23. Holy Hoarder!:eek:

24. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I wll ask back, "Where's the For Sale sign? Do you see one?"

25. raven

raven

That picture is just really sad...
    r

26. 19Fordy

19Fordy

"That picture is just really sad.."
    Yes it is.:(
    Drove by the house last week and it's still the same. Don't know what the future holds.
    My friend was a true hoarder The inside of the house looked just like the garage.
    All rooms stuffed with stuff from floor to ceiling with only a little pathway
    to the kitchen, bedroom and bath. It got so bad that he wouldn't let
    anyone enter the house. I used to start up the 2 cars years ago to keep them operational
    but, stopped doing that after they were literally buried.

47ragtop likes this.
  27. Budget36

Budget36

Kind of a "weight off the shoulders" thing. I feel guilty looking at stuff I need to get to, and it just sits for either time or money-both never seem to line up at the same time;)

Now the "weight" is gone, your grandson is happy, you're feeling better...win-win.

But the real question is, now that you have room in the barn, what's going to take it's place? :)

28. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

If he is into hoarding, maybe he would trade for more "junk" if you can find something he really wants.

29. If you read his previous post, his friend has passed away

30. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Good job Danny! You put the truck in good hands, he will enjoy building and driving it when it’s done