Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Oil is leaking out of Beehvie Oil Filter on Flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by miwi, Oct 18, 2018.

1. miwi

miwi
    from Germany

Hi,

I got an Offenhauser Beehive Oil Fliter that spills oil through the gasket. I had change the rubber gasket, cleaned the gasket face of the cab and the filter itself, checked for damages, check for correct seating of the cab. I had change from a rubber gasket to a cork gasket. When I run the engine for 30 min on idle speed or above idle speed (Original Oil pressure gauge shows 25 - 30 ) no oil is leaking. When I drive my F1 in various speeds for 30 min or 1 hour the oil fliter is leaking. Oil pressure gauge durng driving shows 30. The oil filter cartridge is the corrct onbe of a Offenhauser Beehive Oil filter.
    I think that I'm to stupid to fix the problem. Do you have any idea?

2. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

The flat O ring seal on the standard filter can is sensitive to being placed perfectly. Or it leaks. Maybe that's what going on.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  3. robracer1

robracer1

On my shoebox mine was leaking also, after many attempts working with the canister o-ring I discovered it was leaking out the top bolt, I had painted the canister black so did not noticed. put a little o-ring on the bolt and it stopped

MurderCityMerc likes this.
  4. MurderCityMerc

MurderCityMerc

Im having the same issue. Oil starts to slowly leak from the top bolt of my bypass filter. Did the original come with a rubber or copper washer? Hows yours holding up?

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. If your're using a bypass filter make sure that there is a fitting with an orifice in the pressure line to the filter. Otherwise you'll over pressure the filter and have leaks...

6. rusty valley

rusty valley

and,,,if no restriction you are starving the motor for oil. .060 orifice on the line going into the filter

7. Hey Warbird,
    So the line has an orifice,,,and the inner housing tube as well.
    The line from the block to not over pressurize the can,,,and the tube inside the can for the oil to flow back ?
    Like my pic shows ?

Tommy

Attached Files:

8. Yes, somewhere in the inlet line there should be a fitting with an orifice, and also the holes in the center tube. I put one of those filters on an early Cad 331 before I knew about the metering orifice... couldn't get the filter sealed up and finally did some research. Filling a fitting with solder and then drilling it out to .090 solved the problem.