Register now to get rid of these ads!

History IT'S NOT FOR SALE - I'M GOING TO RESTORE IT SOMEDAY

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Dec 1, 2019.

1. As many times as I have heard this when asking about a car or truck and being shot down with, "It's not for sale" I have realized I have been that same guy for the last 40 years when I have been ask about my '65 Ford pickup.

It has been my intention to get the truck back on the road and for some reason other projects have taken priority, I thought a couple of years ago I would pull the pickup out of the barn, and the '50 coupe showed up and pushed the pickup to the back burner again.

Thanksgiving, we had the pleasure of having our kids and all the grandchildren home for the first time in several years, our eldest granddaughter is a nurse and was able to be in town along with our grandson ,Matthew and his girl friend, both live of them in Florida.

Long story short, Matthew ask me about the truck and he ask me would I sell it to him, I know Matthew has a mustang but he said he was going to sell it and would love to have granddad's old pickup, I told him it's not for sale but without living it any thought if he would keep it it was his.

His look was utter shock, I'm proud of him, he's a good kid and I believe the truck will be in the right hands. HRP

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    47ragtop, Lil'Alb, waxhead and 49 others like this.
  2. samurai mike

samurai mike

I tell people that all the time!

3. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

good on you danny! keep it in the family! thats something he will never forget!

4. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Good for you Danny.

5. A great family moment. We only have so many cars we can build in our lives (obviously some of us more than others) and it's good to have a project waiting for us when the time is right. Being able to pass one along to a family member that shows interest is a great way of passing the torch. Good on you HRP.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. 2935ford

2935ford

Yup, I say "It's not for sale." a month later, I sold it!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Good for you you didn't sell it, your a man of your word.:)
    Passing it to a younger generation is very commendable, you will need to get him signed up here!

8. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Good job

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. I got stuff I simply don't want to sell. I keep it because I like having it. It don't matter that I will never do anything with it. And if I do sell something I don't care what the next person does with or to it. Its not mine any longer none of my business what other folks do with their stuff.

10. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Every time I buy something I ask my stepson, do you like this? Cause someday it’s going to be yours

11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Yeah, we all have to face the fact that we won't live forever, and we won't get around to doing all we would want to do in the time we have. When you're in your 20's, you have the rest of your life, when you're in your 60's, you realise that the rest of your life might be 20 years if you're lucky. It's a sobering thought. Good for you to give him the truck Danny, maybe he can do what you haven't been able to get to. And staying in the family is a plus, too. Maybe you can see it and enjoy it with him after he gets through with it.

12. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Pisses me off when old ranchers say that around here. What ever it is is just going to rot away until it's unusable. I get it it's there's but I bet 98-99 percent of the time it will not be touched.

weps and osage orange like this.
  13. Better story than I expected, Danny. :) I thought you were stirring the pot. LOL

14. Just be prepared that once the truck is his, he can do what he wants with it. I'm not questioning his good intentions to keep grandpa's truck, but sometimes life throws a curveball and maybe he will have to sell it to support his family etc. It's great you passing it onto your family, but don't be too distraught if it leaves his ownership sometime down the road.

15. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I say it all the time. Every, car , truck, scooter,tractor , pice of equipment was bought and paid for with cold hard cash off my hip, over the last 59 years. I bought them with something in mind, sometimes I did it, sometimes I didn’t get around to it. I have put some things up for sale, people bug me about them but when I put a price on it they fade away..... they want me to give it to them. I’ve got roughly 75 “ things” that move. Some HAMB friendly, some miss it a little. But it all goes to my only son, when the time comes, land, vehiles and all. Got it all wrapped up in a neat little trust. My son still has the very first pickup, we built together back when he was 16. He’s 44 now.

Bones

16. Now damnit HRP!!! I wasn't gonna cry today!! You're a wonderful man buddy, money ain't everything, sign him up here so we can watch him become the man that you are (this is where I'd put a "thumbs up" if I could)

17. None of us know what the future holds but I prefer to look at life with the glass half full opposed to half empty, I do sincerely hope Matthew keeps and cherishes the old truck as I did when it was my daily driver in the 70's and 80's but once he takes ownership it's his.

It's a crappy photo but this is how it use to look. HRP

[​IMG]

18. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

You’re a great grandfather.
    Now not only have you provided a keepsake, you also
    Opened the door to a relationship he will never forget.
    Now I’m sure you and he will be busy for the next 6-9 months.

19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool - best part is that you made a true connection that will help save your knowledge and experience for longer than you - the truck will live on , hopefully within the family - may move on down the road at some point for another care taker - but, much better than another ride that just rots away like so many brag about here

Bruce Fischer and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  20. This reminds me of Andy Griffith,,,,,where he wouldn’t sell eagle eye Annie,,,his favorite fishing pole.
    You didn’t sell the truck,,,,you just swapped it for a more enjoyable feeling.
    A good deep down feeling !
    Great job Danny,,,,I knew you were a good man !

Tommy

21. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

A buddy of mine always says it doesn't matter when or if you get to that project, it still belongs to you and it's yours to do with as you please. The only peeve I have is when someone puts a car out by or near the road and delights in telling you it's not sale. There's a fair share of these kinds of guys in my area that do that and I'm sure everyone in every part of the country deals with this type.

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

That's a Thanksgiving to remember hope he enjoys it. Bob

osage orange and Bruce Fischer like this.
  23. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Danny, this is cool, I remember seeing and talking to Matt at the downtown car show last year when he was here on spring break.

Which one of the girls is Matt's mother?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. gene-koning

gene-koning

You did good Danny.
    There may be things here my grandson might like, but currently, he is not in a position to get anything that will be a long term project, nor is it a time for him to be able to keep something long term. I suspect things will be better for him in 5-10 more years, but this is not the time.

In my world, the "Not for sale." means its not for sale at that time, at a later date, it might be. Times change.

All my stuff sits pretty much out in the open. I buy stuff because its something I want to build. Sometimes the time between the buy and the build is pretty long, it takes time and money to collect parts, and sometimes it takes longer then other times. Sometimes the thing I bought because I wanted to build it looses its appeal the longer I sit and look at it, which means something that was "not for sale" a while ago may well be "for sale" now. It really doesn't hurt to ask nicely on occasion, in case things have changed. Gene

25. Part of the enjoyment of having and hoarding desirable stuff is telling folks that its not for sale. Believe it or not there are folks who are not overly concerned or worry about what other folks think & do.

Boneyard51 and trollst like this.
  26. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

Well done grandpa

Old wolf and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  27. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

I suspect you wouldn't have gifted him the truck if you thought he'd try to flip it. I hope he enjoys it as much as you have...

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

I hope it works out the way you hope!
    My Uncle had a 51 Ford pickup, flathead V8, that I tried to buy a few times, but he didnt want to sell it. I told him if he decided to get rid of it i wanted it, cause my wife liked it too. One day he decided to give it to his then son-in-law who was going to "fix it up". After he figured out he didnt know flathead from flatbread, he sold it...less than two months later.
    Neither me, my wife, nor my Uncle were happy about that little slice of life.
    Good Luck

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  29. Thank you John, Melinda, the girl that lives with us & the twin that suffered the sever brain injury is Matthews mom. HRP

30. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

Nice move you did the right thing Now two people are happy

osage orange and HOTRODPRIMER like this.