Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs What have I done

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimsF1, Dec 1, 2019.

1. In response to the thread title, "What have I done", you've done very well in my opinion.
    Looks like a very solid start. My only advice is to pick a theme and stay with it. I probably changed directions three or four times, wasting lots of time and money.
    Good Luck

clem, chryslerfan55 and X-cpe like this.
  2. JimsF1

JimsF1

In Tucson where I'm still in shorts! Sorry to those who are freezing

Sporty45 likes this.
  3. JimsF1

JimsF1

I'll continue with the removal and tear down of the flat head but I'm really hoping it's good enough to rebuild because I can handle it, it's the least expensive and the original issue

4. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Wish my 50 F1 was in that kind of shape when I started on it! Looks good. As others have said pull back on the reins a little bit and soak it all in before it becomes a monster and you're thinking oh shit what did I get myself into. It's happened to all of us at sometime or another.

Tri-power37 and loudbang like this.
  5. JimsF1

JimsF1

10-4 WB. I'm already stopping all explorations and focusing on cab interior and engine thanks to all the advice and support from this H.A.M.B family

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. JimsF1

JimsF1

After I've stripped the interior 20191124_173440.jpg

7. squirrel

squirrel

It's cold down here in Sierra Vista, I doubt it's very warm up in Tucson right now....

Neat truck.

Can you turn the crankshaft, or is it stuck?

I think I'd stop tearing things apart at this point, and spend some time thinking about what to do with the truck. When it's all still original and together, there are a lot more possibilities. After it's apart, there are still a lot of possibilities, but they are getting more expensive.

The first thing you do, if you want to have a successful project, is to figure out what you want, how much it will cost (in time, money, equipment, space, etc), and how long it's going to take you. Of course your time and money estimates will always be way lower than reality.

chryslerfan55, Baumi and trollst like this.
  8. Welcome Jim !

For some one that is NOT net savvy as you said, You sure are doing a good job quoting and replying LOL.

Any ways good luck on the build truck looks minimum rust at best.. probably lower front fenders that is normal cab looks ok though.

9. I am just N of PHX.. and it is COLD here.. snow all around me the other day from the storm that went thru.. Still snow to the west of me up near Crown King.

Me thinking he a snowbird from like N Dakota still being in shorts, Or a very well heated garage LOL

10. JimsF1

JimsF1

I
    well squirrel I'm that weird one that can wear shorts nearly all year and I just moved from Durango in February
    Crank turns and if the lower end looks as good as the top I'll rebuild it and the tranny get it running.

11. JimsF1

JimsF1

Hello Dog
    Oh I can type my struggle is navigating the net and these forums

12. JimsF1

JimsF1

Well gents headed to the cattilinas to take the Dog hiking (in shorts, lol)
    And then back to remove the hood and disconnect the tranny.
    I look forward to hearing from you all, be safe

13. squirrel

squirrel

neat!

I'd be really tempted to do a low buck overhaul....hone, rings, quickie valve job, and then get it back together, fix the brakes, and drive it. Probably because I have an idea what it costs to do a "full" rebuild, and also because I have an idea what it would be like to drive it when you're done. Buying rings, gaskets, and a few other parts is all I'd want to spend on any flathead, at this point. Yes, I've worked on a couple of them recently (not Fords), and taken them on trips, as well as driving around town. They're different, for sure.

I doubt there's much in the transmission that needs worked on at this point....

chryslerfan55 and Baumi like this.
  14. JimsF1

JimsF1

Mind if I buzz you when I get to that point squirrel, I haven't done an engine but I'll find it easy with help. I'm a hydraulic mechanic/machinist/welder by trade

15. JimsF1

JimsF1

16. squirrel

squirrel

sure, ask away

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  17. missysdad1

missysdad1

The small block Chevy (not necessarily a modern 350, but perhaps an older 283, 305 or 327 to put less strain on the original gearbox) is an easy bolt-in swap whereas a small block Ford doesn't fit nearly as easily and is going to take some fabrication to accomplish. (Most of the Ford-in-Ford advice is from guys with a stronger sense of brand loyalty than practicality.)

While simply rebuilding the original flathead would require fewer changes it is fraught with peril - cracked blocks being the biggest danger and finding a competent machine shop to do the rebuilding work might prove problematic as well. Plus...rebuilding a flathead is expensive if done right. You might get by with a quickie rebuild...but I wouldn't bet on it.

18. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are shop manuals readily available for your truck.

19. Welcome to the Hamb, there is little I can add to what has already been said, but let me play the devils advocate, I love a flathead but to rebuild it and do it right is going to be expensive, I suggest you price all the components before you get in too deep.

The sbc is a easy conversion, but with that the 3 speed transmission & rear axles become the weak points.

As far as the truck it appears you have a solid foundation for your project, if this is your first project just decide exactly what you want to end up with, daily or just a weekend driver? HRP

20. X-cpe

X-cpe

What did they say when you asked why a six year old truck was parked 62 years ago?

harpo1313 likes this.
  21. ...looks like a very solid truck,...as others have said, you need to develope a plan that you like and stick to it,...you'll get lots of help here on the HAMB,...good luck with your project

22. Lemme guess, he’s your project supervisor right?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

23. Dusty roads

Dusty roads
    BANNED

Great find. I got mine in North Dakota. I'll be following your progress.
    RJ%20042.jpg

24. Sounds like fair advice,,,,,about the 350.

However,,,,since I recently found and purchased a Flathead that is very rebuildable.
    I have discovered that Flatheads are a sickness,,,,that I can’t overcome.
    The fact that this truck had one ,,,is what drew me to the thread.

Whatever direction you go is fine,,,it is your truck.
    And please don’t take this wrong,,,because I truly mean no disrespect.
    But anyone,,,and I mean anyone,,,can build a 350.
    As much as I love the Chevy engines,,,,I have had several,,,all great engines,,,,my main love is big block Mopars ! I have many of them,,,,many.

I never thought that a little Mercury engine could turn my head like my new Flathead.
    Yes,,,it is a sickness !

Tommy

dan31 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. ERguitar

ERguitar

ALL good advice here.
    What you ultimately do completely hinges on your vision.
    I have a 49 F1 with original flathead, runs great, sounds awesome and seems to generates more interest once the hood is open than a sbc.
    The older guys love to reminisce and a lot of the younger guys have never heard or seen one.
    That being said, its no race car and I don't know that I would take it on a trip over a few hundred miles.
    The practicality of a sbc probably doesn't need to be commented on and there are others way more knowledgeable than me so I will leave that alone.
    YOU need to decide what you want and go do it.
    No matter what, it looks like you have a good start and you've come to the right place for advice.

Desoto291Hemi and chryslerfan55 like this.
  26. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

I always push the reply.... I think it reposts the message your replying to.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

27. squirrel

squirrel

When I'm using a computer, I always use the box below the last post, just start typing. On a phone, I either do that, or use the reply button if I want to add a picture. If I want to put some quotes in, I either click "quote" on the post if I want to include all of it, or I highlight the text I want to quote, and click the "quote" button that pops up next to the highlighted text. Then at the box at the bottom, I click the "add quotes" button

chryslerfan55 and hotrodharry2 like this.
  28. You could always find a runner flathead and swap it out, that's even easier than adapting a SBC. It's what I did, and the later blocks are less prone to cracking than the generation before them. I noticed the header above the windscreen is rotting away, seems your sheet metal skills will be out to the test with this one.

chryslerfan55 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  29. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I’m glad to hear you are sticking with the Flathead! I really don’t like seeing all those sbc in the early Fords. And yes I’m a Ford guy. But bottom line, do what you want to do, it’s your project. And like mentioned, do one thing at a time, mostly. As long as it still looks like a truck, it will inspire you more that a huge pile of parts.

Bones

30. leon bee

leon bee

You don't want no chevy motor in that, stick with the flathead. Go ahead and pull the rest of it out now. Then start reading- lots of free flathead info on the net. Then find the right machine shop next. Number one thing you gotta do is search for cracks in the block. After that, it's all fun.

Texas57 and chryslerfan55 like this.