Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods FOUND! Over the Top 1960's built T Bucket Show Car "MINT JULEP" FAB T Roadster Information

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODDRIVEIN.COM, Feb 21, 2018.

1. So the 4 belt blower set up is by cragar is topped with the original CalCustoms scoop breather from 65. The 2 gear Throttle linkage fabbed withe the plexi back, and the brass gears is soooo cool..

cragar_471_blower_4_belt_Mint_julep_showrod_tbucket_t_bucket_magnesium_wheels_vondutch_hamb (2).jpg

Original handlettered show-board with vintage iasca teal dealcal is still intact...

cragar_471_blower_4_belt_Mint_julep_showrod_tbucket_t_bucket_magnesium_wheels_vondutch_hamb.jpg

2. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Love that "T",it's awesome..
    I still drive my own hot rod I put together in 1959. Point being I'm into older built rods.
    As for keeping it ture,if any part was polished,polish it again,give it respect. Patina is mostly very over played BS .
    It's only OK ,too not restore if; it's so good cleaned up,it still shines nice{small cracks are fine}but not if too many or flaking. Never call rot,patina! That's how I think about these things. I'm close enough,that likely we'll meet up at some point or show. Keep having a ton of fun with that cool "T".

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019

3. Dana, i agree with your philosophy on this car. everything that it was originally built with will stay. Changing the car's look, stance, components would be absurd in my eyes. cleaning/ polishing as much as possible. The magnesium wheels, im working up to, that's a commitment.. One delima i have is the wheel and tire situation.. the wheels and tires are the original from the build in 1965. I have a pair of old chrome custom 15x10 anerican racing Daiseys, and some "driver" pie crust slicks, and a pair of early chrome Raider style spindle mount skinnys with same height firestones.. i can tuck away the originals, and run the chrome to enjoy the car..

4. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

You mentioned the blower is a dummy blower with just the front drive gears and no vanes... maybe I missed it, but did you mention if there is a tube inside from the carb mount to the manifold, or is the inside of the case one huge plenum??? Following you on IG, I’m just in awe of this T-bucket !!!!!

5. 6A7B7BC6-526B-41CF-A833-1E26DC8A576C.jpeg

@Moriarity found this awesome pic. Anyone recognize the venue?

dana barlow, EVL401, cactus1 and 6 others like this.
  6. @Ken Carvalho have not been on in a while, the blower is actual "functionable" as written in one of the show literature pieces I have..

mad mikey, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  7. Can not possibly say how much I love this great hot rod. Please keep us up to date. Lots of us are really enjoying the car. Congrats on doing the right thing with this piece of history.

8. Thank your for sharing pics. Quite a time capsule. Can't believe how well that car has held up.

9. butch27

butch27

Richar Rallings ? had bought that car and lost his butt on selling it to 2 strange dudes..

10. Butch27 different car.

11. Definitely 100% not the car in any way, shape or form. But love the enthusiasm.

Sent from my SM-A102U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  13. EVL401, mad mikey, Roadsir and 5 others like this.
  14. EVL401, mad mikey, Roadsir and 5 others like this.
  15. love the wheels/tires/stance.

16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...Thanks for sharing this Wild Hotrod any chance you get...Your Avatar says it All...:D:rolleyes:

17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

18. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

Nice car!! I wouldn't change a thing either.
    If you want to polish those magnesium wheels, the best polish I have found so far to do the job is Nushine polish. It is available at aircraft supply outlets but it is pricey. I have a 1960's dragster with polished magnesium rear wheels which require frequent polishing to keep them looking nice.

You are in for a lot of work to get back the original shine on those wheels because they have been left unpolished for a long time. It may take you the best part of a day just to get one wheel finished. Mothers polish is just OK, but the Nushine works far better. With the oxidation buildup on those wheels I would start with Nushine 11G6 in the orange labelled can. It has a bit of pummice it it to cut into all that oxidation. I use a cordless drill and an assortment of buffs and lots of clean rags. They will end up turning black almost immediately. It's a very time consuming process, just keep at it and eventually the wheels will get finished. When the wheels get finished with the Nushine 11G6 I would use one of Nushine's finish polishes just to add that final deep looking shine. I use the Nushine with the green labelled can for finish polish.

So that's how I polish my magnesium dragster wheels and they end up looking like a million bucks when I'm finished.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    Thor1, Stogy, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  19. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Sort of weird that I remember the car names of "Casual T" and "Mint Julep" but I wouldn't have remembered it was a "T". I am sure I have what ever Magazines featured the car but they are inaccessible in storage.

mad mikey, Thor1, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  20. gonzo, mad mikey, EVL401 and 5 others like this.
  21. I picked up the slide from eBay, Does anyone recognize the venue looks like a basement with heavy brick walls very high. 20210209_111824.jpeg

Sent from my SM-A115U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. showrod

showrod

Thumbing thru the Sept, '72 issue of street rodder I found a feature article on it.
    Amazing it hasn't been changed up.
    PXL_20211207_165615717.jpg

mad mikey, EVL401 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  23. Here's a wicked cool video we just wrapped up!
    In the video, we reunite Norm Douglas and the Casual T, with the help of Rob Wolfe!

Check it out!

seb fontana likes this.
  24. It was a great time bringing this car back to life, and being the caretaker of her for that many years. There's a whole lot of the story that has not been told. I haven't updated in a long time but I was able to track down and actually find Norm, spoke to him for many hours about the car and had some really great stories. Since I accomplished what I set out to do, and preserve the car along with the history, I sold it to Rob wolf and that's how the story goes. But I took great pride in tracking down the history of this vehicle and actually finding Norm through his wife's name which was always overlooked when doing my research. Her name was on the original envalope from the hand written bill of sale when he sold it to the second owner. Unfortunately for all those years, I had always overlooked her name on the envelope... she had passed several months before I found Norm. Norm told me he would have loved for her to have known the story and that the car was still around, and I told him the only reason why I found him was because of her. So it was pretty cool, heartfelt moment.

One of the other crazy coincidence, was that the second owner Harry Arrington Kansas, and Norm, When the car got stored in a closed down service station for 40 years they both had actually retired in the panhandle of Florida less than a hundred miles from each other all that time, and never knew it... Very cool I enjoyed tracking down the history, locating Norm.

25. Awesome thread, thanks for the update.