Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods New to old cars.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DaBeers34, Nov 25, 2019.

1. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

I will be calling that number next week after the holidays. Thank you

chryslerfan55 and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  2. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

3. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

Think I finally got it. Man it was hard to get to. Had to blind video then get a screen shot.

4. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Looks like you’re going to have to drop the pan to tell for sure, I was going to suggest that anyway, I always like to see what’s in the pan, water, rust, filings, if it got sludge thin it with gas, look for discoloured main or rod caps.

DaBeers34 likes this.
  5. bchctybob

bchctybob

6. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

No, unfortunately the carb was stolen while it was at the tow yard. Before I got to buy it. So I will be looking for some black Friday deals for a card lol

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

Since I have that ecz-a intake I will have to get an adaptor for later carbs correct? Is that the only difference from the ecz-b?

Sent from my SM-N975U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

I came across a B9AE F block with ecz b intake ecz c heads and ram horn manifolds, was positive I had a 312 but no,once the pan was off ebu caps, from what I’ve read 292 has a stronger bottom end anyway so I wouldn’t be too disappointed

9. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

I'm definitely not disappointed either way. I'm just glad it isn't the 239 lol.

10. From one of the previous pictures, it looks like you already have an adaptor plate on the intake.
    I wouldn't worry too much about whether its a 292 or a 312, either one is a good engine, just get her running, you only need to know the displacement if you have to buy parts for it.

HSF and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

Ok thank. Sorry I'm new to all this. So I know I'm asking questions that have already been asked.

12. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Don’t know the difference between a and b. The b is a square bore. I put a Holley economaster ( can’t remember # designation) on it, oddball carb mild spread bore, could not find divided adapter plate so used an open plate , runs ok with small stumble off idle which I hope to tune out. Would not go over 500 cfm for stockish engine.

13. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

Yeah I've been reading up and most people say not to go over 500. I plan on keeping it stock. Well actually I plan getting whatever is the most reliable for the engine, I want this to be something my kids can drive one day. So if stock is the most reliable then that's the direction I'm heading.

14. manyolcars

manyolcars

for an engine that has been sitting awhile,I like to put diesel down the spark plug holes, and spin the engine. this lubricates the cylinders and valves and blows out the excess. then put the plugs back in and start it up

15. 327Eric

327Eric

The pic looks like your in Clovis. Before you go too far for parts, check out Turners Auto Wrecking on Willow and Golden State.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  16. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

Very close. I'm about 40 minutes from Clovis. I will check it out. Thank you

17. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

:cool:
    upload_2019-11-28_22-28-26.jpeg

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  18. Make sure the engine will turn over by hand after removing the plugs and lubricating the cylinders. When you get a carb; run it off of a gas can and hot wire it with separate wiring, not the key and wiring in the car as it may burn down. Get it running, stopping, driving, after you check out everything then decide what to do with the body and interior.

DaBeers34 likes this.
  19. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Call it whatever you want and go for the look you like. I've noticed any car that is painted flat black gets called a Rat Rod. Mine does all the time. I stopped worrying about it. Just have fun with it.

DaBeers34 likes this.
  20. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

I already am. 99 percent of people on this forum have been helpful and supportive. Am truly surprised at how many people have commented to help. Been telling all my friends this is the best site I have been on. Everybody willing to share knowledge. Just hoping I can get there one day to be able to help somebody else out looking for answers. But I'm definitely already having fun with this car.

21. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

That's awesome. I agree this is a great site. I also have got a ton of help and support here. I even just got a new Flathead engine here when I had problems with mine. I would highly recommend the HAMB to anybody interested. Glad to see you're having as much fun as me. Good luck with all you do.

Stogy and DaBeers34 like this.
  22. Nova Thug

Nova Thug
    from SG Vizzle

Congrats..! You’ve scored a pretty cool ride there. The funny thing that happens when you pick up someone else’s project is what they had done to it before they got stalled, distracted, or lost interest.. The Nova in my avatar was a basket case under some blue tarps in a not so great neighborhood.. Most of the trim was removed and put into cardboard carpet tubes, and the die cast center console was wrapped up in news paper and then a cardboard envelope and taped up really well and in nearly perfect condition. It had a new fuel tank, plenty of rust, and no engine or trans.. I didn’t bother to look too hard at it as I was buying it as a parts car and all the trim that was in it was worth more then what payed for it. So a year or so I was really surprised when I stepped on the brake peddle for the first time and it had brakes.. Good ones..! Too funny..! Fresh shoes all around..

Good luck with your project I wish for you many a good surprise..!

Stogy and DaBeers34 like this.
  23. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

What a small world. Found out there is a local guy down the street from me who specializes in y blocks. Even has his own website. Hope he doesn't mind me in there everyday bugging him trying to learn stuff lol.

1low52 likes this.