Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is the HAMB the place for muscle cars, VWs and Toyotas?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by notebooms, Jun 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caffeine

caffeine
    from Central NJ

i like cool shit. the hamb has cool shit. message boards aren't "traditional" toyota hemis arent "traditional".....message boards that deal with cool shit are cool shit....toyota hemis are cool shit.

vw's suck. i dont open.

model a coupes are cool. i open.

other message boards have model a's others have vw's but...the hamb....has "cool shit"

other message boards have retarded people.

the hamb has "cool shit"

i like "cool shit"

haikus are not cool shit

2. Muttley

Muttley

I went to school with a guy named Haiku.....his parents own a local Chinese restuarant.

3. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

Too much drama here... You all know what's HAMB all about, f#ck the rest.

4. Mutt

Mutt

5. Merc63

Merc63

Perfectly summing up both HOW traditional rods and customs were built, as well as why traditional rods and customs were built that way. They didn't use Lexus V8s and air ride because they didn't HAVE them. Had they been available, they very well may have used them, due to WHY they built the cars they did. Whether discussing street rodding or "hot rodding," is it really rodding to simply run around duplicating what someone else already did a hundred times over?

A lot of people are joining up here to not only learn about how and why rods and customs were built back in the day, but to use a lot of that information in building their own rods and customs, even if not everything about that rod or custom is going to be like it was done in the '40s/'50s/'60s. No better place to learn about that than from guys that have been doing it since then. I just hate it when those traditional guys tend to shun or insult the resulting cars because not every part of them was done in that old manner. Rodding has always been a hodge podge of tech and style, regardless of era in which the rod was made.

6. Orange Crate

Orange Crate

I for one, don't think the HAMB is the place for muscle cars and such. But, the guys from back in the day were using the best they could get (or afford) to build their cars and did their best to continually improve them.

If they had not been willing to at least look at and consider NEW ideas, then we would all be driving Model A's with hopped up 4 bangers.

The HAMB is probably the largest pool of information concerning Hot Rods in the world. Sometimes, all of us get a little narrow minded and come down on a idea before we think it through. If the "Old Guys" had done that, then engine swaps would be out of the question.........especially putting a sbc in a Traditional FORD Hot rod. It's still sacrelidge but that's just my niche, I like FORD engines, flatties, fe's and the sweetest sound I ever heard was a Y-block thru glasspacks.

So, give a little and try as some of us do and learn from the guys on here that know..........Hey, drum brakes and stick shifts are traditional but give me disc brakes and an A/T.

7. I think if the Camaro was done up in a traditional street machine flavor... yea... if the VW was done up with a solid axle and a rat rod flavor... sure... and if the Toyota was something old, slammed flaked... Astros, pin whites... why not?

The people who always seem to be the most offended are not the owners of traditonal cars anyway.

They piss and moan... but don't realize that this board isn't about worshiping a particular formula for a hot rod or custom... if it was, it wouldn't be a TENTH the size... all the people with STREET RODS that have "traditional" wheels to get them in the "CLUB" would be out on their asses...

Instead, this place is more about the vibe, the attitiude... and the feeling of the way things were.

In the 80's I used to cruise my '55 in Modesto when the cruise was BIG. 100,000 people, thousands of cars on any given weekend. You were there to see and be seen... to set up races, to hook up with the ladies... drink beer in the Catholic Church Parking Lot... the vibe was unreal. Sometimes I get all Nostalgic for those days... and someday that vibe is going to be traditional.

Is that a "40's, 50's, 60's type of traditional? Hell no.

Is it as cool? That's arguable.

I see some guys on here poo-poo the Camaro, Chevelle, Nova, Mustang set... why? They had a bad-ass run at the drags back in the 60's. I can even remember a '60's Camaro that ran at Bonneville with an injected flathead in it! Now, I think a flat black Camaro with red wheels and WWW woudl be LAME... but what about a black on Black '67 SS with a BBC, Tunnel Ram, 4 speed... Americans and a solid front axle?

I dunno... I wouldn't say that HAMB isn't a place for those cars... as long as they "get it"...

Sam.

8. Ya know I give a lotta guys hell on here when they talk about their new shit (anything newer than 59). But it's really all in fun. V-dubs really get a lotta hell but they should be used to it. Really, as long as it's pre-73 and you put all the hard work into it yourself, you're okay by me.

9. LoungeLife

LoungeLife
    from Tulsa

I don't think Ward Cleaver was into any alternative lifestyles, he was always concerned with the Beaver :D

10. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Mutt,
    Exactly what I meant! If a person posts a "what do you think" post, they should be ready to get opinions both good, and bad.
    When I look at posts, I look at the ones that interest me. I think that's what we all do. I like to look at more traditional themed posts, but I also look at the others. I guess if you don't like a topic that is posted, don't read it. If it's too far off topic, the moderators will do what they do and it will be gone!

11. being traditional means copying a tradition...... hotrodding by it's very nature is the act of breaking tradition....so....building a "traditional hotrod" is the copying of a tradition that was meant to break tradition.

12. Dude, I don't even know what to think anymore.

13. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have been thinking of starting a messageboard dedicated to preserving the Mullet.

14. LoungeLife

LoungeLife
    from Tulsa

Preserving it so it can be studied, and with a little luck cured? Saving future generations?

15. banditomerc

banditomerc

THE HAMB IS FOR OLD STYLE KUSTOMS AND HOT RODS!NO ONE ELSE NEED APPLY.......PERIOD.:cool:

16. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

Of course that board exists...and your on it:D I think that something like the Los Boulevardos club and board were bound to happen; eventually the vw/Japanese motored guys will get their board. I'm pretty sure they have ones by now. I don't get on here to talk art-I go to Sketchkult for that. The HAMB is what IS period.

17. Turbo Punk

Turbo Punk

I don't post here often but when I do, it's not about MY cars. I'm into VW's and Volksrods but there are other forums in which to post about those. I come here to see what is going on in the HOT ROD world (old American steel)and learn what I can about those cars. When I come to this forum, I show my respect for the members of this forum by NOT posting about my cars. This just isn't the place for it.
    The members here are a great bunch and I've always felt welcome and I'd like to keep things that way. This is a VERY informative site and I've learned quite a bit since joining. I'd hate to see things take a turn for the worse.

Tim

18. Holy shit, that's funny!

Ok seriously, this crap can be debated all day long. "Tradionally" speaking, hot rodding has always been about trying to use the best parts available to YOU, working within YOUR budget in order to make YOUR car faster, better handling, etc. So that being said, who is more traditional, the guys building state of the art street rods that go like stink, handle like their on rails, and are actually dependable, or the guys using the antiquated technology and parts? I've seen alot of posts on here about what guys use to do and what they didn't do back in the day and I can tell you that they did what they could based on funds, parts availability and skills, period.

If you don't think that guys were dumping flatheads for the SBC once they became affordably available (ie: in junkyards) then you're crazy. If you don't think that guys were putting V8's in VWs and going drag racing then you're crazy. If you don't think kids were customizing 4 door cars then once again you're crazy.

These things may not have been the norm in your part of the country, but they were happening, look through any of your old little pages and you'll find 'em. Along with other interesting articles like the one from a 1958 rod and custom that discusses air ride suspension "the wave of the future" imagine that shit. I like the HAMB the way it is, I just believe that alot of people on here put to much into what's politically correct and what isn't, and I'm not here for that B.S.

19. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

20. If you're trying to ID a muscle car motor to use in your rod; if you're building a 50s/60's style gasser with your VW, and if you just sold your toyota for scrap to buy a hot rod.. then yes.

I think that innovating is still traditional. Using something like a late quad-4 or the Toyota Hemi is innovative. They'll never replace the SBC for popularity, but it's good to have alternatives.

As for the other stuff, if I can learn from it then it's worth looking at, if it's a fluff piece then who cares.

Thanks to this board and looking over cars I finally have a handle on how to put together a real hot rod, I think I have the majority of my questions on what to use and how to put it together answered. I thought that's one of the things this was for...

21. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's not healthy to get stuck on just one thing. If I had to "timeline" what most of us are about I'd say up until the last race at Lions. I never made it there. I'm from the wrong side of the US, but I followed it as a kid. Nearly EVERY hot rod follows a drag theme except the kustoms. Is this the place for a generic musclecar? Of course not. But if I found one of Grumpy Jenkins' ex pro stockers this would be the very 1st place I'd post pics to share.

The whole Toyota thing is for a better 4 cyl to motor around with for those who like that type of hot rod. It's a mix. A mix of history, traditional skills, designs, and attitude. Not many here are hardcore "ol skool" types that tell fellow members to fuck off with the occasional O/T post. There's nothing more traditional than exploring options and building with imagination. I said once in another post that even the most hi-tech electronic fuel injected street rod is still traditional...just kinda "all grown up". Our past hot rod heros woulda killed for that stuff back in the day. But I don't think they'd like billet 22s to roll on. We all get it. You know it when you see it, no matter what the timeline is. I would also gladly share a traditional looking kustom 65 Impala, but not a 65 mustang. The "Zombie" 65 GTO is as traditional as it gets isn't it.

22. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

Four things I dislike on HAMB at the moment:

1. Show me your blah blah blah -posts. --> Use search!
    2. School me on blah blah -posts. --> Same thing!
    3. Should I do this or that -posts. --> If you need to ask, It's better you won't do what you were going to do!
    4. A little progress I did on my car today -posts. --> Save these post to the future when you will have MORE progress to show!

Just wanted to say that these things bother me more than Volkswagens or muscle cars on HAMB. Eventhough I don't want to see them here either.

--mika

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Welcome to the HAMB Tim! Hope you post more often, what do you plan on building in the future?

24. Brother Bob

Brother Bob

The HAMB is a virtutal garage full of a bunch of guys who " spead the gospel of TRADITIONAL hot rods and customs". If you come into someone else's garage and start spouting about your badass VW, or Camaro expect to catch some shit.
    It Ryan's garage- being king is good, he and the moderators do a great job of keeping things on track.
    This has been beat to death ,,,,,just use the search and see.
    FWIW I have VWs and some others{Model T}] but only post or ask about TRADITIONAL hot rods and customs here on the HAMB.
    Now back to your scheduled programming...........

25. Turbo Punk

Turbo Punk

Ummm.... I won't talk about it here;)

I've always wanted a chopped 30's Ford pick-up but I've never had the cash to buy, room to build, place to store, and a million other excuses. That's why I've stayed with the "other" cars. I have a project I'm working on now and I'll send you a P/M with links of the concept and progress pics. It is currently on hold though until I get some things in order and the weather clears (damn rain).

26. Bugman

Bugman

Seems to me that most of the people who are most offended by the ocassional O/T car post typically have only been here a year or less, and have few "useful" posts. You rarley see the "old timers" chime in to say "get out" Take for example SamIyam. He is one of the first HAMBers, his Tech posts are top notch and his opinion is very well respected. I have NEVER seen him post "You're car's not traditional, Get the eff out."

How many O/T posts would have gone away sooner if the people who replied with "That's not traditional" hadn't replied? Take this post for example. No offense to anyone because there is great insite in this particular post, but most of the replys are from people that have been here under 2 years, and don't have all that many posts.

27. Leeroy

Leeroy
    from Boerne, TX

Personally, I think some of the posts that do not spread the gospel are crap. At the core, most HAMB'ers have a higher consciouness of the automobile as an art form. Ryan and the moderators do a good job of keeping things on track, but also to provide inspiration from unlikely sources (foreign pre-war cars, the P-51, classic industrial design). I love it. There are not many forums out there where people appreciate the beauty and craftsmanship of metal fabrication required to build a machine. That is what makes us different.

I get it.

28. cruzr

cruzr

Having "hot Rodded" since i was eary teens and now am 63, ive seen it go from "Traditional" to "Billet" and back again. My take on this site is it is a safe haven for those that pursue,and want to pass on the "Gospel" as it was "written" many years ago. Some things need not change, some things need to be preserved, for the next generation. Sure we all need to have that freedom of individually,but if ya look clsely at the cars we all really admire here, they all follow a pattern of what once was and still is. I hope this site 'keeps the faith" and doesnt stray.

29. None of those bother me. They're cool and fun to read just to waste time and a lot of times I get on here not needing something, but looking for a thread of interest, something I can help with, something funny, something new, something cool. I know a lotta guys only come here to look up tech info only but there is a lot of us that's on here to be social as well.

I'm married with children, I don't get out a whole lot ya know? I like to talk car a lot and my wife gets bored of it. I don't have a 9-5 job, my money's made on the stock market, so that's even more time I have to kill. I also don't know a whole hell of a lot of car guys in my area. The HAMB and email, it's about 99% of what I do on the net now days.

I used to be one of those guys that only looked stuff up, I did that for a long time on here until not long ago when I decided to finally open an account and be social with you guys.

Over all, this place rocks and the people are great. I've made some friends here and nearly all of them are from those silly threads of little to no importance. Can't wait to meet some of you guys at some shows.

The way OT threads suck. If it doesn't have dick to do with hot rodding or (and fuck you yes I'm going to say it) the hot rod lifestyle, then don't post it. But if it's even slightly of interest, I'm happy and it's a good read for me.

I've learned a lot from the threads on here, and every now and then I have a little more to share than my sarcasm :D

Keep those silly threads coming.. breeder seems to do it the most and all of his threads are cool.

30. nrfleming

nrfleming

i was going to reply but i havent been on this board very long so what could i possibly know?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.