Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Will these seats fit? 56 in a 59 Fairlane

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DaBeers34, Nov 29, 2019.

1. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

I was looking around for some bench seats for my 59 Fairlane. Found a guy who has the rear and front split fold down bench seats. But they are from a 56. $200 is a steal of a deal. But does anybody know if they will fit?

Sent from my SM-N975U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Not sure,but measure yours and his.Also do they come with mounts?

DaBeers34 likes this.
  3. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

Yeah it has the mounts. Might have to fix a few springs, but are actually in good condition.

4. Spooky

Spooky

Howza Brutha-
    The '56 is a tad narrow compared to the '59. The front benches were interchangeable from 1957-1959 in 2 door form. I'd gamble and say that Fords and Mercs from '57-'64 will work but only in 2 door models only. I mean, a 4 door may work, bit will not tilt forward as desired. Good Luck, man.

Boneyard51 likes this.

5. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

So if it's a little more narrow they should still fit. As long as it's not too narrow with a big gap. Was actually thinking about putting shoulder seat belts on the back anyways (for my one year old twins car seats). But maybe with a little gap it will be easier to hide them when not using them. I know it's probably taboo to put shoulder belts back there.

6. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

That’s kinda what I was thinking, the 1956 and back were a Little narrower. But probably not that much. Put a tape to the seats and then to your car! A couple inches ain’t going to matter. And as for the mounts, if not a bolt in.... an easy modification. IF you LIKE the 56 seats! That’s the front..... check real close on the back seat!!!

Bones

Spooky likes this.
  7. I think you'll find the 56 seat is just a bit taller floor to bottom seat cushion. I can get you a height measurement tomorrow out of my 59 if you like.

Spooky and Boneyard51 like this.
  8. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Not sure about Fords but chevy back seats are different widths between sedan and hardtops, the hardtop seat is more narrow with armrest built into the door panel filling the gap between the seat and inner quarter wall.
    (on tri fives anyway)
    I doubt they will be a bolt in but think they could be made to work as long they arent wider.

9. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

Yeah that would be nice of you. Mine has some weird bench seat out of a Lincoln. Even has a fold down cup holder I think haha. Been raining since I found those seats so I haven't got to measure anything.

10. P1010167.JPG On the leading edge just before it comes around the corner the Welting is 9" to the floor and the top of the cushion is 10" to the floor. Hope this helps ya.

Spooky likes this.
  11. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

Awesome thank you. I found a site that has the interior shoulder and hip width dimensions for the 56 and 59. The 56 is actually wider by a tenth of an inch. So they should work. But I definitely didn't think about the height. Thanks for this measurements I'm gonna check it now.

12. greybeard360

greybeard360

Don't put shoulder straps in the back. Put anchors in for the anchor strap that comes on the car seat. Much safer than a shoulder strap !!

DaBeers34 likes this.
  13. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

Was gonna do both. But maybe put the shoulder strap only to the top of the seats. That way they would be easily hideable. Want the shoulder straps for when they get old enough to not be in a car seat. Not set on it, but what mama wants for safety, mama gets. She doesn't complain with me spending money on this project, so I'm not gonna complain if she wants shoulder belts in back. Just gonna try and hide em as best I can.