Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Master cyl Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike Colemire, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Has anyone used a dual master cylinder set up on their hot rod? I'm running disc brakes, 2000 explorer, on the rear and more than likely GM metric calipers on the front. I was looking through some stuff on the net and found a pretty nice set up, dual 7/8 MC, bolts to the floor, and it looks like the Wilwood assy. It has the balance shaft so you can adjust front and rear braking.I've never ran this set up but it'd be compact and look better than a MC stuck on the firewall or under the floor.

2. gas man

gas man
    from socal

yes. I would say the dual is really common. I know the mustang master is popular.

3. Budget36

Budget36

Under the floor I assume mounts off the frame and to the floor is just that-to the floor?

I'd be looking at beefing up the mounting area, like with a flat plate/etc, if bolting to the floor.

4. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think you mean twin masters, as in two, separate single masters. Masters with two circuits within the single body are usually called duals, like the Mustang or Corvette generic styles.

Not trying to be a wise ass or split hairs, just trying to keep your discussion headed in the direction I believe it was intended.

I've used a Wilwood twin master setup, long ago. I recall some angst in getting the individual master diameters correct and the front / rear tuneability through the balance bar was handy, but really it's more of a circuit racecar application which is being regularly tweaked, rather than a fit and forget road use application. The main reason for trying one at the time was the perceived convenience of a complete mount and pedal solution, but that convenience became an inconvenience when trying to install it into the car!

Chris

54vicky and Hnstray like this.

5. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Yes I meant twin. I thought it might work good with disc front and rear. Don't want to add any other problems.

6. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Twin M/Cs work better on a race car, but not so much on a street car because of the extra space required, along with increased pedal efforts vs a tandem dual master. There are many disc/disc masters to choose from. Best to keep it simple with a custom brake system. :)

7. There are a lot of kits you can buy for floor mount master with pedals and all brackets etc.

on my 50 Chevy I used a corvette master mounted in the factory location
    Fabbed my own brackets etc.
    Adjustable prop valve and 2 and 10 lb residuals
    Never drove the car but the brakes stopped and felt great just driveway driving.
    Hope this helps.

lots of options to mount to the firewall
    Will wood also offers a sideways under dash mount master set up.
    4 wheel disc with no power works fine if the master is speced correctly

8. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

As V-8 mentions, dual cylinders work on race cars. There are several companies such as Master Power, Total Cost Engineering and Godman Brothers, that sell everything you need and do all the engineering for your brake system. Purchase the components, install them and it's worry free.

9. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I don"t care for the under the floor MC,on my A I used the under dash because of space. That was a pain to fool with. I had disc all around and used a corvette style MC. It stopped good, think I"ll go with that and mount on the firewall. Like was said, keep it simple. Thanks guys.

10. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We run twins on our dirt car for adjustability. We can turn the adjusting rod with a hand crank. You will need to go under the car to get it correct. Call Wilwood on your sizing. They are great to work with. They are in Camarillo Calif.

11. Bonehead II

Bonehead II

I have the same set up on my car, none power. have 15/16 bore master from wilwood. works well, make sure that you have your seat belt on.