Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Time to put the toys away.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evintho, Nov 29, 2019.

1. evintho

evintho

It's that time of year. Low 20's last night and this afternoon we had a downpour. Time to put the roadster up for winter storage! I had to free up the garage for the '54 project.
    Built a platform to get it off the ground then erected a HF portable garage. Picked up a car capsule cheap off of CL and parked the roadster inside. Pulled the battery, filled it up with gas and dumped in some Sta-Bil. She's in hibernation for the next few months!
    Anybody else putting their toys away for winter?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Threw a tarp over the '54 until I can clean up the garage a little.

[​IMG]

2. HSF

HSF
    from Lodi CA

In California? No, I drive mine year round although it's a truck with a roof. I do ride my motorcyle year round though. I have some good winter gear. It would be too depressing to store my junk.

3. dartracer

dartracer

In the garage and under cover. 15 inches of snow on the ground.

4. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I drive my Nomad and '40 year 'round. Blessed to live in a place where I can.

5. gene-koning

gene-koning

Parked for the winter, outside, in the cold and snow. At least its off the salty street. Gene

loudbang likes this.
  6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Does that car capsule have a ventilation fan?
    Its important to ventilate an enclose moisture barrier.

7. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Man I'm glad I live in Texas. No winter storage here, drive em all year round. No salt on roads, sand storms suck though but they dont last long.

firstinsteele and Turnipseed like this.
  8. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Always garage kept year round. Occasional good days here through winter that they can be comfortably driven if you want.

9. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Mine got parked for the winter a couple weeks ago. They won’t see the road again until spring rains wash the residual salt and liquid chlorides away, some years that doesn’t happen until late April or early May. image.jpg

LOU WELLS and Pats55 like this.
  10. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

Same here. The area I am in is all hills and curves. Calcium chloride is so corrosive it should be outlawed

winduptoy likes this.
  11. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

The Winter Morgue... DSCN1829.JPG

nochop and jnaki like this.
  12. Winter is major project time for my car... time to rewire, rebuild in a more retro style, maybe repaint! Lotsa "re's" this winter... 20191105_142101.jpg

stillrunners and LOU WELLS like this.
  13. evintho

evintho

Yes it does.

Petejoe likes this.
  14. trollst

trollst

Yeah, mine are parked, a month ago.

15. In the California Sierra foothills we put them away for summer. In a fireproof box.

16. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< just before the covers went on for the long winters nap!
    KK

17. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

He'll no! Have about 18" of snow today, good ole South Dakota blizzard but I can just about guarantee in a few weeks I can be driving the hotrod.

j3harleys likes this.
  18. gigem

gigem

Here in Austin today...[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

19. Hemiroid

Hemiroid

I just picked up a new-2-me project so I have a bit of assembly 2 do over the winter!
    My A and OT cars are slumbering till next year. The A is going bye bye next spring...
    Out of sight, out of mind. Come spring its like getting a new old toy...

Image735.jpg

20. You're an ass :rolleyes::D

jimmy six likes this.
  21. Good winter luck my friends.....heard Sacramento was down to 31 degrees a day ago.....not fun.

22. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

I'm obviously in Southern California and though it's been cold (for here) and rainy the last few days it never snows so salt on the road is a non issue. But I've always wondered how you guys in snowy areas dealt with the leftover salt. I don't even know what "liquid chlorides" are but it sounds bad.

Does anyone ever rig up some PVC pipe with sprinkler heads pointing up and park the cars over it for the first few weeks to rinse off whatever gets on it? This is probably a stupid idea for some reason but just wondering if there's anything that can be done to shorten up the "off season" for our cars.

23. greener200

greener200

20191130_121410.jpg 20191130_142345.jpg 20191130_142410.jpg 20191130_143632.jpg 20191130_142412.jpg Yep ,yesterday was a sad day in the sence that ,,,"I LIKE driving my truck"! Started in Plymouth then Off to my Dads farm in Pembroke . My brothers 35 was snuggled in last week
    We will get together over this winter and start working with Pop on his 36 roadster picup

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  24. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

In Arizona, where I live, its party time in the winter.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  25. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

The simple solution is not to drive until there's been a few heavy rains which normally happens in Minnesota somewhere around late April or early May.

Liquid chlorides are deicing chemicals that work by attracting moisture. I will never expose a vehicle I actually care about to the stuff, it's that bad...

bill gruendeman likes this.
  26. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

Drained the water out of the lakester first of the month,pulled the fire bottle, and front race tires. Started snowing at 2:30PM and have 2" now with 12+ predicted before it ends Tue AM.

27. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Despite what anyone says about the trials and tribulations of living in California, life is what you make of it and how you deal with the stuff along the way. I have always been in awe when we go on our long road trips to places outside of So Cal. Even being in Mexico along the coast has it plus factors. But, all things being somewhat equal, there is no place like home.

I do hear that title quite frequently… “Time to put the toys away.” I have been hearing that for my whole life. So, these days as we get older, the time to put the toys away seems like it is in the garage, more than in the house. Fiddling around with my little 1/64 cars and toys is a lot of fun. It does not cost a lot to do stuff that would be hard as a full size model with what time we have to spend out there.

Family cars still takes a lot of cleaning and prepping for the drives or just for family/relatives visits. But, driving up to an extended family event in the 40 Ford Sedan Delivery was a proud moment and so was giving out information. Even garage/home construction projects start the design process inside, then if it is not too cold, goes out to the garage and yard.
    upload_2019-12-19_4-19-41.png
    As it got closer to the planned departure for a family event or just for visits, it becomes… “Time to put the toys away.” As punctual as I am, it was a trait learned from my dad. I like to put things away at my own speed and not be rushed. So, there is plan in place prior to hearing, “Time to put the toys away.” The cold weather, and yes, in So Cal, we do get our cold weather, if I have to wear a long sleeve shirt or jacket, then it is too cold to stand around in the garage doing car stuff or working on various projects.
    upload_2019-12-19_4-20-26.png
    The 13th annual “Gathering of the little tribes…”

Of course, it is not just displaying the little cars, but there is some playing around and role playing with plenty memories rolling around in my head.

Jnaki

These days, there is a lot of household stuff to scan and save on our hard drives, built in and the external ones. Those can be in a warm house situation, but as time nears for any departure, “Time to put the toys away,” comes out in full force from the other half. Just recently, those "words" were ringing in my ears again.

The big event of the year was coming up and it was a long hour + drive in traffic, to North OC for a 12th time, Nutcracker performance of our granddaughter. This time it was the premier role of the Sugar Plum Fairy. So, as the departure time was approaching, I had everything cleaned up hours ahead of actually leaving.

I can plan on the departure time, since I know the time it takes to get where we are supposed to be in such a hurry. This was a not to be a "late in arrival" event and plans were in place for an early departure. The odd thing is, I am getting good at shutting down the laptop and computer programs I am working on prior to hearing for one last time…“Time to put the toys away.”

So, for you guys storing your hot rods and house stuff away for the winter, good luck. Have plenty of things to do inside, stay warm and enjoy the family get togethers. You are lucky, we only see thick hail, not a White Christmas, unless we drive 1.5 hours away to the local mountains. But, the ocean influenced storms marching in toward shore just beat the daylights out of our windows and doors, as well as the whole house/yard. We make do with what we have. My mom always told us to “endure.” Which we do quite well, lessons learned…

That title slogan is always: “In The Air, Tonight.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeDMnyQzS88

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019