Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Billy Gibbons' 1950 Ford "Kopperhed"

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jive-Bomber, Nov 21, 2019.

1. banjorear

banjorear

Me too

Chavezk21 likes this.
  2. I love @Pete Eastwood. From the horse's mouth, right here on this forum.

Amazing.

THANKS PETE

3. The classics never go outta style... I love that one too @Jive-Bomber - Billy brought it out to the second Lonestar Round Up way back in 2003 - the first year on Festival Beach - and it looked amazing out there. As I recall he had it set up with an impressive stereo system that he could plug in his guitar to play thru - like a rolling amp. It was all super clean and tasteful with that Tijuana tuck & roll interior

A couple of shots from LSRU #2

4229960857_a63178c91e_o.jpg 4230728856_e6ea4ffa4f_o.jpg 4230729056_8eff351870_o.jpg

4. 2935ford

2935ford

Sort of a 50's Tbird roofline.

5. young51

young51

I was lucky enough to stumble on this when it was on display at the Petersen. It really blew me away and has to be seen in person, pictures do not do it justice. For me one of a handful of modern customs that make you rethink how a certain body style can be done...Cole Foster's 54' Chevy, Mike Young's 60' Impala, Roger O'Dells 38' Zephyr are all the epitome of their respective body styles, IMHO..

6. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Doesn't matter what you post, someone will hate it. There's a hater for everything. Love that picture of Billy dragin' his arm out the window.

7. ken bogren

ken bogren

This is a beautiful car! It makes me think of what coach builder might have come up with when these were new. Or maybe a at the time designers sketch that a top executive saw and said "build me one of those".

It's really kind of understated and elegant.

8. Crayons

Crayons

Jim Pedersen of Ellensburg, Wa did, actually the same color and just as nice.

9. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

I like the lines the car has. Why? I took a glance at the picture and didn't immediately see anything that stood out as anything that potentially wouldn't have been factory. So yeah, they did a good job of getting back into the designer's head and pushing the lines over to where they may well have been closer to having been on some concept sketches, before the tape measures came out and the roof line was made a) high enough for a tall businessman to wear his hat while driving and b) still represent the shape of the company's cars that year.

Given the overall "roundrects" shape of the car they kept it well in fitting. I only frowned a little at the rear of the door glass, until I mentally extended the lines across the vehicle and saw where they end up passing. There I see the rationale, and it works. The rear of the roof line being virtually in line with the back of the rear wheel does put it at limit of what looks "right" but the back of the car needs that little extra visual weight to retain the factory look. Flatten that out and yes, trad sled is what you get. I think this will still look pretty damn good in another 25 years, to be honest.

Phil

pitman and straykatkustoms like this.
  10. But it has a mustang II independent front suspension..... wah wah wah.....

11. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

Been looking for a good 49-50 custom business coupe for a while. Think they are a great style

12. Matlack

Matlack

One of my favorites.

13. flamingokid

flamingokid

Considering that it was born in the heights of "Billetmania", it looks just as fresh now as it did then. While those overdone cars of that era are snickered at, Pete's work has held up beautifully.

Just Gary likes this.
  14. rudestude

rudestude

Yep..still got my copy of Rod&Custom Feb.1996.
    Complete with the ,"Unmolested", pull out poster of
    "KOPPERHED" unpulled .
    When it first came out thoughts were...nice car , nice work,
    Just another shop build ,money rolled by owner, hey if you can ..why not.
    You do notice that the pull out poster was still in the magazine, unmolested and unsoiled, so apparently I didn't think it was exciting enough to pull anything out over. 1575231475071~2.jpeg 1575231605761~2.jpeg 1575231809041~2.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

I've always liked it. When we first started "negotiations" on our '50, it was the first pictures I pulled up.

16. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To really appreciate it you have to see it in person. Didn't Steve Stanford do the concept drawing? Some radical kustom work was done to the Coupe. The compliment to the designer, it still look like it could be stock. One of my all time favorite Kustoms.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I know this is an older thread, but this thought was what really stuck with me when it hit the scene. It was just so "fresh" in a time when all billet was good billet. I didn't really understand then that it was more classic than fresh.

This is the car that changed my perspective on, well... cars. After this I really started digging into the past... and found what I had been looking for all along.

18. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I was never sure if Kopperhed was based on the Stanford rendering or not, but Steve's artwork was great. Could somebody put it up in this thread, please?
    I've admired this car (and the Stanford rendering) since they first appeared. I think this and the Foose Tudor are the best shoebox customs done in the last 25 years.
    Well, I like my own shoebox a lot too, but it's a lot less radical than either of the other two cars:

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    straykatkustoms, loudbang and HEMI32 like this.
  19. Tony,

I thought for sure I had a copy of Steve’s Kopperhed rendering ... but the only Sanford “Shoebox artwork” I could find was this:

[​IMG]

I’ll keep searching ...

20. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Here's mine. For some reason I couldn't add it to my previous post:
    GGOC09-0230.JPG

21. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Beautiful. I love Steve's stuff. His 3W wasn't called Kopperhed in the magazine; it was published long before Gibbons' car debuted.

HEMI32 likes this.
  22. Tony,

Correct ... the inspiration for “Kopperhed” came from a Steve Stanford rendering that appeared on page 28 of the June 1992 issue of ROD & Custom magazine ... as part of the “SKETCHPAD: Hot rod ideas for ‘50s cars” feature article.

Unfortunately, my copy of that issue is missing those pages ... and I haven’t been able to locate them in “my archives” ... but I’ll continue to search.

23. In true customs fashion, it has great appeal to some and not so much for others (individual taste thing), artistic work.
    I liked it then and still do..passed the test of time.
    Obvious quality thru-out this car.

Driver50x likes this.
  24. By comparison, what happened to the twin spinner on the cover of the Feb 96 Rod & Custom ? I'm assuming its the Boyd built car. Any photos or later whereabouts?

25. Lil32

Lil32

my Avatar likes it

26. Perhaps @Pete Eastwood can "fill-in the blanks" regarding this photograph:

snowbound kopperhed team.jpg

flatheadpete likes this.
  27. 1934coupe

1934coupe

This isn't the same but a 5w made into a 3 window 46 Ford coupe. Done by Dutch Comstock many years ago. The guy was on Hamb but haven't heard from him in years, he had more pictures on here. This is the only one I have and it is not good.

Pat

Attached Files:

28. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did a little diggin around and found the pic that I had saved...

20638362_1535012103188614_439063681390144287_n.jpg

29. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

That's true inspiration for our new project!

30. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Great! Thank you for posting it.

straykatkustoms likes this.