Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Would you sell your car to a friend?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AldeanFan, Nov 27, 2019.

1. When I was a teen there where about a dozen of us friends that traded cars with each other on a weekly basis. They where all POS from the junkyard or some crappy trade in the car dealers has to take in trade and did not want on their lot. If we had a new battery it was worth more than the vehicle. We would laugh about the screwing we gave each other. A year ago I was over at Black Rock Helping my son pour a floor in his garage. We where waiting on the cement truck. A guy stopped. He stated you don't remember me? He stated He was one of my friends younger brothers. He stated you guys traded cars every week. What I remember about you is you drove a different car every day.

2. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

In the past 45 years, I have bought from and sold to friends a number of times. So far, so good.
    I sold a '53 F-100 to a friend in 1992. I had owned it since 1979. Every time I ask him if he would sell it back, he says, "Duncan, I told you if I ever wanted to sell it, I'd call you first." Apparently he doesn't want to sell it...yet.

3. Terraizer

Terraizer

If it's something that I like, then no sell to a friend or family member. Did it once in college and regreted it as I watched it go to crap and since it was no longer mine couldn't do anything about it. Now if it is something that really doesn't mean anything to me then yes.

VANDENPLAS and Hnstray like this.
  4. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I have sold several cars to friends and family of friends. They have insisted on buying from me because they know how I take care of my junk. They won't even dicker they just pay what I'm asking.

Elcohaulic and arkiehotrods like this.
  5. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

I Sold My Coupe To A Friend 50 Years Ago And We Are Still Great Friends... 22519418_1913806645610274_1425417047983016289_n.jpg

6. Yes but only for cash! I've got some pretty shady friends...

7. southcross2631

southcross2631

I have sold many cars to friends and neighbors. When I lived at the Grand Canyon there was no source for used cars. I would go to Phoenix and get the Auto trader. Find a car and take it back up there and fix what it needed and had a waiting list of customers for used cars. Sold 10 in one year. Pretty sweet deal.
    Never had a bad sale. Never lost a friend. Except one who tried to skip out on paying me. Had to track him all the way to St. Louis, Mo. to repo a Dodge conversion van. Boy was he surprised when I showed up and opened the van and threw all of his shit out on the ground and drove off. The title was still in my name and had my tag on it.
    Had known the guy for almost 8 years and he tried to shaft me. After that it was cash or no car. Learned my lesson.

8. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

I sold an IH KB-1 (pile of parts and a good AZ title) to Terriazer, He has not complained yet...

Terraizer likes this.
  9. It depends on the car and the friend. Someone who knows what they're getting into is one thing, someone that doesn't is another.

It probably also should depend how much you value the friend.

6inarow and David Gersic like this.
  10. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

Several years back i sold my sedan delivery, as i was covered up, To a true friend and told him if he ever decided to sell it i would like to have the first option to get it back.

This past early spring he told me he wanted to sell it, We talked and i got it back with the the agreement that if i ever decided to sell he wanted it back, So
    if i ever do he is first in line.

arkiehotrods likes this.
  11. 2935ford

2935ford

Yes. Sold my good friend my stock '28 Tudor. He has it still. Now, we do however disagree over stock vs modified but all in good fun! :)

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

sold a 62 Cadillac to a friend for $2500.00 really nice Sedan DeVille with original paint. 3 or 4 months go by and another buddy calls and mentions that he is trying to sell the car to another friend for $500.00. luckily the other guy did not think it was worth $500.00 because it was a 4 door. (this other friend was also a car appraiser.o_O) so I call him up and tell him I am on my way to get the car.

there it is, parked in the street under a pine tree covered in sap and looking like crap. he said the transmission as blown and a shop said it would cost $900.00 to fix. paid for the car, went and got trans fluid and drove it home. saw a leak, the trans cooler lines rubbed together and wore a hole in one line. two hose clamps and a piece of rubber hose and the car was back in business. took me a week to get the paint shiny again.

sold the same guy a high end road bike I had and bought that back as well. it was dirty and full of scratches and pitts in the aluminum and I bet he didn't even put 200 miles on it. looks like he kept it outside, this was a $3,000 bike.

even after i sell something I don't like seeing it abused

Hnstray likes this.
  13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Depends on the car.

Depends more on the "friend". :cool:

14. I'm with whatshisname and the other guy. :rolleyes:
    Some friends, yes. And some other friends, no. :cool:/:eek:

LOU WELLS likes this.
  15. gene-koning

gene-koning

Yes. I tell them everything I know is, or might be wrong with the car, and they fully understand that as soon as it pulls out of my driveway, it is their car, no guarantees.
    I sell nothing without cash in hand. I swap their cash for the title I'm holding, and when it leaves, its all theirs, good or bad.
    It works for me. Gene

Truckdoctor Andy and Old wolf like this.
  16. I have done both ( yes and no to friends) ..

17. Terraizer

Terraizer

Russ, still got it to. Plan to build but other projects keep getting ahead of it

18. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

19. Sold my running driving 1964 SS Nova 283/auto to a young kid cheap as my dad wanted to help him get going.....found out he flipped it quick - when the police called me about the tickets on it - still was in my name - that was about 1978.....sold my International I drove to Austin back in the day to my neighbor on payments with a stipulation only he be the driver - repo'd it with a few payments left - he paid'd off but his bitch wife was mad. Just finished a payment plan with another old friend that's on dialysis....glad we made that. Thing could go right and things could go wrong........

20. I never buy or sell anything on credit If I want to remain friends. Giving credit loaning money is the best way to make a good deal go sour. I have given credit to some customers I never wanted to see again. most of the time it worked.

21. RT468

RT468

I would have no problem selling a car to a friend. Most likely they know about as much as I do about it. Probably there when I looked at it to play devils advocate,possibly towed it home,most likely ended up bringing tools and parts when it broke down on the road somewhere. In between assisted with repairs or upgrades. Now having said that most of my friends don't share my same interests in rides. GM/Ford conflict thing. I'm not biased,just owned GM almost exclusively.

22. j3harleys

j3harleys

This last June a life long friend pretty much begged me to sell him a 32 roadster and wanted me to take his 40 coupe in trade. I didn't really want to sell it and didn't want his 40 even though it was a nice car but he really wanted my roadster and kept bugging , I told him to take the roadster home for a week to be sure that's what he wanted, He said no that's what I want, he never even drove it, he has never had a roadster, his first old car was the 40 and has had for about 10 years, he's pretty new to this. So reluctantly I did the deal with. I cleaned the 40 up and sold 2 weeks later At Rocky Mountain Street Rod Nationals. Saw him later that day told him I sold it, He got really Pissed off and said I thought you wanted it, I told him no he was the one that wanted my car. He has not called me or excepted a call from me since. We had been friends for 60 years. I have bought cars from friends and never had problems. Not sure if I would do it again 9339.jpeg 20190605_161212.jpg

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    47ragtop likes this.
  23. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Maybe. It’d depend a lot on the friend. Some of my friends, sure, I’d sell them a car, because I know that they can handle it and it won’t be a hassle for me. Others, no, because I know that they can’t.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. clem

clem

I tell everyone I know to never, ever, under any circumstances buy a vehicle off me !
    No problems so far............

25. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I have sold and given some away . The only issue I ever had was , 3 months later and they sold them for a huge profit . I got over it , it belonged to them and we remained friends , he has passed 2 years ago, I deeply miss my Buddy way more than I remember car deals .

6inarow and j3harleys like this.
  26. 1. Friends and money are always a bad combination.
    2. I don’t have any friends other than my Dad and he is with me on every car or deal I have.
    3. I would never sell him a car, but gladly give it to him.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. Been doing it all my life! Everyone knew back in the day that my cars were done right and maintained. Never had a problem selling a car. More recently,the last two 32's I sold went to friends.
    If you are honest then there is no issue who you sell it to! That is the best you can do.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    j3harleys likes this.
  28. HiHelix

HiHelix

29. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

My Dad called it the Oklahoma guarantee, " if it falls in two pieces, you own them both"

ct1932ford likes this.