Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Painting with 20 Gal DeVilbiss Air Compressor rated at 13 CFM @ 40 PSI ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by waid786, Nov 28, 2019.

1. waid786

waid786
    from Indiana

I am looking to paint my old Falcon in my Garage. Most of the HVLP paint guns seems to require about 13 CFM @ 23 PSI inlet. I was thinking about buying entry level 60 gallon compressor like the one they are at Menards but its rated 3.7hp with 13.4 CFM @ 40 PSI. My old 6.5hp DeVilbiss Air Compressor is rated at 13 CFM @ 40 PSI but its only 20 gallons.

I just need to paint this one car.

Is my old DeVilbiss adequate for HVLP paint gun?

Thanks

b.jpg a.jpg

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  2. HSF

HSF
    from Lodi CA

You'll run out of air with a 20 gallon tank. I've painted cars with 60 gallon tanks, never had a problem. If you are painting the car in pieces, 20 will probably work. After shooting a panel, you can stop and let the tank fill up. You won't be able to keep a wet edge otherwise.

3. waid786

waid786
    from Indiana

I don't have any paint gun yet. If I set my regular at 30 PSI, I can run it continuously with blow gun and see how far PSI drops. It is rated at 13 CFM @ 40 PSI. Would this be a good test ?

Waid

4. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

That's about the same size I used with the first car I painted no that was with a siphon feed gun. I didn't know why I w owing and it was metallic paint as well. Well except for one run that I corrected after it dried it turn out great! So much so people asked where I got my car painted. Now that I know it can't be done... I also learned that when borrowing a face mask to buy new filters. The "new" filters caused me to retreat outside and lay on my back to regain my breath after inhaling paint fumes so make sure your paint mask is legit.

5. evintho

evintho

More trouble than it's worth! If you're on this board you have to be 'into' old cars and hot rods. A decent air compressor is an excellent investment and worth it's weight in gold! Once you own one, you'll use it a bazillion times and wonder how you got along without it.
    You'll need a minimum of 60 gals and 5 hp. $700-$1000 will get you something brand new and decent that should last you for years. Of course, the more you spend the higher the quality and output. 220v is a must. CL even has a few used ones, cheap...
    https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tls/d/indianapolis-60-gal-air-compressor/7026688033.html

I've been using an IR 80gal/5hp since 2006. Painted a couple of cars and sandblasted even more. I think I paid $700 for it back then. I did replace the motor ($200) a couple of years ago and a couple of pressure valves too but it's been a workhorse for the last 13 years!

6. waid786

waid786
    from Indiana

My pump is a twin piston aluminum pump that is oil lubed. Not sure how accurate it is but I did a quick test. I set the regular at 30 psi and used a blow gun continuously. The tank pressure never dropped below 120 psi and the compressor cycled but did not ran continuously.

What do you think?

Waid

Attached Files:

7. waid786

waid786
    from Indiana

I hear you! One thing at a time. Just picked up this Primeweld 225x TIG Welder for $775 which will be delivered this Friday!

Waid

Attached Files:

8. HSF

HSF
    from Lodi CA

I've been painting cars and motorcycles since 1994. I must admit, I have never looked at my gauge to see what the psi was, ever. I put cheaters on all of my guns and adjust it by sound and feel for how the paint is spraying. I do know that early on, I had a 30 gal 5 hp compressor that wouldn't keep up. I never tried to paint an entire car with it but i primed a 69 gts dart with it. I had to stop midway due to running out of air. That was with a Sata 95 hvlp. Just my experience with smaller tanks.

9. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

I paint cars for a living and I agree with evintho when he says “a decent air compressor is a excellent investment and worth its weight in gold”. But if a better compressor isn’t in the cards for you then HSF is correct when he says you should try and paint the car in sections. You could remove the trunk and hood to paint together separated from the rest of the car. Then you could paint the quarters up the rear roof pillars and roof in one go. And then both doors and fenders in one final step. Or some other break up strategy - for you to figure out!

Painting in stages like this has its advantages and pitfalls - you have to be consistent in every paint step to have it look uniform - but in smaller sections you can concentrate on getting a nicer finish. Remember to drain your compressor of water and have a decent water trap set up.

j-jock likes this.
  10. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Painting in sections was the trick and surprisingly it worked. Afterwards I bought my first compressor which has served me for years and is still in good shape. But being a Fortunateson I stumbled on a 7horse/80 gallon compressor where I get my tires mounted. It seemed that it was about six years old but it was blowing capacitors on a regular basis because they kept replacing with cheap off shore stuff. They bought a replacement and was selling off this DVAir beauty. They wanted a grand I offered four ugh I think I could have gotten it for less. I took it to an authorized repair facility and had it gone through.

So look around and you might just find a great deal.

j-jock likes this.
  11. That little compressor will not keep up with a whole car.. I have done as much as a front clip but that was pushing it..
    Keep a eye on crackheads list, One can find a 60 gal 3hp for between 3-400.

I have used one for 20 years and painted many whole cars with it.. Just upped to a 5 hp so I can sand blast.

12. waid786

waid786
    from Indiana

I agree that a 60 gallon would be the way to go but my small compressor has double the horsepower.

Can I simulate a test with a paint gun but without the paint and see how well it keeps up?

Thanks

Waid

13. Joe H

Joe H

I painted a few cars and my '37 truck with an old Craftsman 30 gallon 5 hp compressor, paint in sections and you won't have any problems, a falcon is not that big of a car to begin with.
    The compressor will catch up, you really think you can paint the whole car with one cup of paint, and non-stop spraying? The compressor doesn't have to be full, it just has to have more then the regulator is set for.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    tb33anda3rd likes this.
  14. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I've got 60 gal 5 hp Deviliblis I bought new 20+ years ago, it still has the same belt on it and I've used it a lot. I've painted a 10 passenger van with it, several cars, ran impacts and aired up countless tires. Buy a good one and it will last a long time. My compressor looks just like the one waid786 posted.

15. Another option might be to pick up another tank cheap (maybe used?) and just plumb it in line with your compressor. Your motor and compressor pump seem like they are up to the task, you just lack the tank capacity.

16. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

It can be done but you are putting yourself in a bad situation. Paint isn't cheap and if you screw it up you have to either live with the result or do a ton of work to repaint it. When air is compressed it is also heated and it contains moisture.
    Both of those things can ruin your paint job even if you do everything else properly. A continuously running small compressor will leave all the heat and moisture in the air, and you probably don't have a setup with adequate means to dispose of the heat and air after it leaves the compressor.
    Just like the welder, an air compressor is a "lifetime" tool. I would also see if the place that you buy your paint from has any "returned or odd color" paint they will sell cheap. Get an old hood or any kind of panel and try spraying it before you get to spraying the actual vehicle. Even a 60 gallon tank needs a moisture separator. Many people mount them right on the compressor and they are useless there. You need "at least" 10' and longer is better.
    No one ever regrets buying a "good quality" welder or air compressor. There are thousands of people who regret buying cheap ones that don't perform and don't last. Honestly, purchasing tools is just a mindset thing. You either have the mindset that you will do whatever it takes to get decent tools (not megabuck stuff), or you have the mindset that you must always try to get by with something cheap.

Its Black Friday......go find a good deal somewhere !

j-jock and alanp561 like this.
  17. First thing to keep in mind; take the CFM's claimed by the manufacturer of the compressor and spray gun with a large grain of salt. I had one of those DeVilbiss compressors years ago; it worked ok for some stuff but just didn't have the volume required. I ended up tee'ing two of them together which solved the problem. Used that set-up until both pumps were worn out.

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Find a used air compressor with a bad pump off FB market place or Craigslist for a few bucks that has a tank the same size or larger than yours that has a good tank and with a couple of connectors you can used that tank to increase the air capacity. Then you can disconnect it and stick it in storage or sell it off when you are done. A buddy in Texas had that setup in his garage when he painted my truck with it in the 70's.

19. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

A second tank is a good idea as well. I picked up a new one at a blow out sale at PA fo less than a hundred just because it was a good deal. With my 80 gallon tank I'll never need it but may transfer parts from a smaller compressor to it. So if you can find a larger tank why not transfer your motor and pump to it?

20. oldolds

oldolds

I painted a lot of cars in the driveway with a 1 hp 20 gallon compressor. Do a panel, wait for it to catch up, do the next one, ect. Do you have enough electric to run your old compressor and the new one? Hook them up together and you should have enough air. Only turn the one on for the days you are just pumping up tires

21. Dadio 56

Dadio 56

Is there a place near you that will rent out a professional paint booth for a day or night? If you are only going to paint one car, this may be less trouble if what you have does everything else you need on a regular basis. You would get the right compressor, chiller and water remover. If you have to buy something, get a vertical tank to take up less floor space. If you can, listen to the thing run before you buy. Some types are really loud. Oh - remember to get good ventilation if you paint in the garage - health and finish quality will be better.

22. patterg2003

patterg2003

I have a compressor of similar size with a gas engine. The compressor is good for 11.5 CFM @ 100 psi. My friend and I used the compressor to paint 4 vehicles with a DeVilbiss MBC siphon spray gun. I rented the compressor & gun a few times to a couple of professional painters who painted some cars on the side. The compressor & gun put down professional quality paint. I would suggest buying the HVLP gun and spray the primer. That will let you know whether the compressor is capable or not.

One thing is to buy the over size coupings, fittings etc that have a bore to match the bore of the hose as the flow resistance through the standard size fittings quickly reduce the capacity of the compressor. I oversize the filters and regulators as well as there is minimal difference in cost. Use 3/8" hose as a minimum as well.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  23. I have not done this yet, but I have two of the 20 gal "5hp" single phase compressors, and I was thinking of paralleling them to run my 3/4 drive impact hammer. I don't have any plans to paint a complete car, but I think this would work.
    Then for most other jobs, you only use the one compressor at half the operating cost.
    Bob

24. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You could try an LVLP spray gun, which are specifically made for use with smaller compressors (LOW pressure, high volume). We used one to paint my speedster with a 2hp 10 gal compressor. It worked fine, although I should note that my car is very small.

Theres's several on Amazon in the $30 - $100 range. Here's a link. I used the cheap SPRAYIT model.

Maybe worth testing one out before you shop for a new compressor.