Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Selling stuff, do you all get these questions too?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Oct 16, 2019.

1. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

My policy regarding selling stuff is simple. I hold things for nobody, nor do I accept deposits. The first person to put money in my hand gets the item. Plain and simple. I don't discriminate on class, race, gender, creed, etc., everyone is treated the same.

1Nimrod likes this.
  2. I've been selling seriously for about 20 years now, hobby stuff first, then I got into cars and parts.

No one will ever go broke overestimating how stupid the general public is.

Some facts of life in selling this stuff:

Everyone wants a sweet deal, but what they think is a deal might be based on prices they paid 20 years ago. Example: I sell model car kits. They retail anywhere from $25 to $35. I used to mark them about 20% off. Guys would then offer me another 20% less - a $31 kit marked $26 they want to give me $20 for. At $20 I make maybe two, three bucks. So no. Now I just put whatever the list price is on them and we start there. Sometimes guys will pay that. Sometimes guys want a deal, I give them the same 20% off I wanted in the first place, about half will still buy. Others act like I pulled the prices out of my ass or something.

Other times, I price something with room in it... and no one will even make an offer. $125 usually means I'll take $100, but no one offers anything at all.

And I get the guys who want to buy half of something, or they want like a $10 part off a mostly complete project car. I had a guy hound me for six months on eBay wanting to pay peanuts for just the body shell from a '37 Chevy coupe. Finally he emails to brag he bought a nice one cheap somewhere else. So what?

I've had numbers of guys like that over the years. People are selfish and all they care about is what they want, that they want right now, they happened to find you with what they want but they're not smart enough to buy it all and then sell off what they don't need - something I've done hundreds of times.

I also get them where they bitch the price is too high and I am ripping people off. Well, no, if the buyer is happy with what he paid no one gets ripped off. If you're too stupid to grasp the concept of make an offer that's your problem.

The ones who want like a radio antenna switch out of a car, or a clock or something, I tell them they can pay whatever the full price of the car is and come in person and pick that up.

Another fun classic, something I've even seen here on the HAMB. You have some old car and the paint's baked, worn off it to a solid coat of surface rust, or some patina look. Guys look at it and see junk. I can take that car, knock the rust back with a wire wheel, literally pour on and brush or roller out some semi-gloss Rustoleum, and the SAME GUYS will suddenly see a great car there.

Probably the best example, a 31 AA truck that nobody wanted at any price. I had a car/pickup frame and a hood with paint on it yet I got free from one guy, a set of axles with juice brakes I got free from another guy, and I had a second A sedan the body had been cut in half and a pickup bed put on. So I went up, put the axles on the frame, swapped the cab over by sliding it across on some 2x4s, put the bed on it, the radiator, had both the plain grille and a stainless grille, roller tires on it, brushed it down and painted it. A month later I sold it for $3500, probably way high for what it was even then.

I have an O/T late model van I want to sell, a 2002 Chevy 1-ton long wheelbase cargo model. I don't want to deal with changing the rear yoke seal and I found a short one with lower miles in a deal that I actually around tripled my money on.

The one person who asks about it "does it leak anything?" ... I just didn't even answer because they clearly didn't read the ad.

It really is a frustrating thing to do on a daily basis, and I think it's done more to make me just hate people in general than anything else save maybe arguing with those of the opposite political persuasion over on another big site we all hate.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    partsdawg likes this.
  3. Chicster

Chicster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Missouri H.A.M.B.ers

Listed a car for sale once and I put for sale or trade. Stupid me I assumed people would know I meant for another vehicle.Well the hill jacks around here called wanting to trade coon dogs, goats, milk cows and everything else. After that I was more accurate in the description.

lothiandon1940 and 5window like this.
  4. About 25 years ago i had a real nice OT Plymouth voyager for sale. ( the square body style ) Nice woodgrain sides and a big 4 cylinder with a throaty sounding exhaust. Guy looks the thing over , likes it and says " love that V6 exhaust sound :oops:, i would never buy a 4 o_O" Then agrees to my price and buys it :eek:.

weps likes this.
  5. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Hill Jack ", isn't that one step up the social ladder from a " hillbilly " ? I haven't heard that term since I left Indiana.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Couldn't make this up if I tried...

Selling my Clipper a couple seasons ago, a guy starts calling me. I said starts because he had become my 'phone pal' sorta like a pen pal. I'm always initially nice, want to believe what someone tells me especially when they ask the right questions. We knew many of the same folks in the Classic Car and Packard sandbox so being nice maintains the investment I've made in my reputation and business. Walked me right up to the alter and was coming that Fri to see and buy the car, and this was after about 6-7 calls and countless detail pictures. So that Thurs night about 9pm he calls to tell me he just can't get past the color. 'My wife and I hate green. Just can't see having a car that color, EVER.' "Hey Ed you know what you want, no harm no foul, I appreciate your candor and not leaving me hangin." 'Well do you mind if I call once in a while if I need advice or such?' "Not at all. Call any time and I'd be happy to help where I can." 2 weeks later I get an email that he bought a car, a 40 Cadillac 60 sedan. He paid $16K more than I would take for the Clipper and sent me a picture. Remember, I couldn't make this up if I tried.

My Clipper:
    [​IMG]

The Caddy he bought:
    [​IMG]

I simply replied "Nice color..." and didn't hear back from him. Well not for several weeks that is.
    Turns out the car had few foibles that most anything from 1940 would have and he couldn't abide that. We have another dialog and he decides he'll take the Packard. "Can I send a deposit? I don't wanna lose it. My friends tell me it's the perfect tour car..." blah, blah, blah. "Whatever you send me will be non-refunadable Ed, so be sure you're OK with the amount if you change your mind." "Well what do you think is fair?" "I'd normally ask for 5 or 10%, but send me $500. I'll be telling other prospects I've taken a deposit and we both know most won't call back, right?" "Ok, I agree, that's fine. Thank you. You know it's gonna be about 6 weeks before I come and see you." "All good but don't get your knickers in a twist if I don't close the ads right away. Deal?" "Deal, see ya soon." Then I get a dozen emails with more questions, regular reminders, do I know where he can find this or that, and in reality the pain in the ass he was just told me he was serious and excited. The day comes and he shows up. 1st thing he picks on is the front bumper guard. They have 3 small spears stamped into the face of the bar on top, and in typical production fashion a minor stamping wave behind each one. "That guard is wavy, that's not show quality." "Hmm, Ed do ya think that's the stamping of the 3 spears right here?" "Are those supposed to be there?" "Well yeah, it's the way they all are, but hey whatever you think." I knew this deal was heading south in a hurry. His wife gets in the back seat and asks if it's ok if she waits there "...this is so nice back here I don't want to get out." "You enjoy it dear. It really is pretty nice isn't it?" "Oh it's lovely!" A ray of hope now, the Mrs loves the interior. We go for a ride and the OD, brakes, shifting, temp and oil readings, couldn't be better. A 4200lb Clipper isn't 'hot rod' fast but for 1947 it was actually a pretty fast car. Keeping with traffic and holding modern speeds is effortless. I drive out, let him drive back. I get a little nervous about his speed, he's going 70 in a 50 and at the same time says "This thing is a lot slower than I thought. Everyone says how peppy they are, but why?" " Yeah Ed, you're only going 70. Slow this thing down! Speed limit is 50." "Oh, well it doesn't feel like 70." "It is, and welcome to Packard's 356 engine." We get back and he tries like hell to pick on things. His wife won't stop waxing on about the interior so he tells her wait in the truck. "Tell me one thing I misrepresented Ed. Just 1. Show me where I was less than candid about this car and show me where one of the dozens of pictures I sent were wrong." "I can't, and you were more honest about this deal than anyone I've ever delt with." "Did you bring the check?" "Yeah but I changed my mind. It's not a Buick." "Uh, dude, it wasn't a Buick when you bought it." "Keep the deposit, thanks for your time." I'm leaving out a multitude of things in this saga, and like I started out saying I couldn't make this up if I tried.

Not a Buick...DOH!!!

7. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

75137220_10214728860351533_1648677910157983744_o-2.jpg
    I feel your pain. Happily, buyer #2 for the roadster came up, liked it, didn't beat me up, asked if I'd deliver it, paid for that without my asking, and was super happy with the car. So, eventually, it all works out! View attachment 4497185

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. flynstone

flynstone

if you have to sell its one thing, but if you don't you can tell them like I do... if you really want this car you will come see it , I know I would. otherwise they are looking to flip or just yank your chain... had a guy ask will you take payments? I said yes, give me the money and when its paid for you can pick it up, he said no thanks..

9. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

@theHIGHLANDER

Ya shoulda strangled him, no jury would vote to convict.o_O
    What a twatwaffle!

10. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's not just in ads and such. Swap meets? Sometimes I wanna slap em in the nuts. Near perfect old Packard distributor. I got $100 on it. No breaker plate but a gorgeous housing and mint shaft and the tag was just a whisper from show quality. "$100!?! Are you crazy? There's no points in there!" 'I know, and it's not $250 either.' The guy is like 80 yrs old. He clearly wants it, maybe even needs it. "I saw one in the other field for $150 and it had the points in it." 'You shoulda bought it. Where is it? I'm gonna shag it up myself. That's a smokin deal.' "I'm not telling you. But he's crazy too. Not worth it." 'I don't see a gun to your head gramps, don't buy it.' "What did you say to me? 'I said DON'T BUY IT.' "$25 is as high as I'll go." 'Hey man, the 60s just called, they want their prices back. See ya.' He walked away grumbling.

One of our members here had a huge table full of NOS and NORS stainless trim, headlight bezels, fender guards and more. Guy picks up a new fender guard, looked like something GM, goes on the front of the 1/4 panel. This thing is new, he just wants to move it all. Guy asks "Hey, how much?" 'Gimme 5 bucks, I'm feeling generous.' "How about 2?" 'I'd rather give your ol lady 3 buck to drag you outta my space.' I'll remember that one forever. Priceless.

A guy offers me 1/2 on a Chevy tripower with carbs, linkage and air cleaners. I was asking $650. "I'll go 3 and a 1/4." 'Nope...' "Well what will you take?" 'A grand.' He does a double take on the price tag. "Does that say $650?" 'Yup, but you asked what I'd take.' Now he looks at me like I'm the problem. "Wait a min, if it says $650 where do come up with a grand? I don't get it." ' You asked what I'd take, but since it's priced at $650 I have to take that so there you go.' "Well I need some room on this, what's the least you'll take?" 'I feel your pain. I don't have room for all my shit either so here I am.' Shaking his head, looks at his buddy "You believe this guy?" His buddy remains silent. " Look, I need to have some room for profit on this so let's be reasonable." 'I'm sorry, are you Frank or Mike? This Hershey, not the Pickers, it's priced to sell, and I don't owe you 1% of profit margin. It's a deal or you wouldn't have stopped.' "So what WOULD you take?" 'Cash, no checks, no debit cards.' "No, I mean price." 'Tag says $650.' "I know what it says." I step back, sit in my chair, 'Good afternoon, may I help you?' He walks off like I was the dickhead. I took $600 the next day from someone else happy to get it.

Sometimes a comedy show writes itself, ya know?

11. trollst

trollst

I'm done selling shit, unless its a guy who shows interest during a visit and I don't need it. I hate being dicked around like I owe the buyer something, currently got a car for sale at what I think is a very good price, awhile back got a call from a guy who loved it, (sight unseen), and would I meet him halfway, we could swap the car on to his trailer and complete the deal. About three hours tow from here. After some careful questions, turns out he didn't want to drive this far to look at it, so, tried to sucker me into meeting him. No sale, I can't be bothered. What is wrong with people these days? Seems everybody has a scam of some sort.

1Nimrod, mad mikey and weps like this.
  12. You cannot help anyone by being their enabler.

13. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

I had a camper for sale once,500$
    Guy wanted to trade a horse saddle for it.said the saddle was worth a grand. I am still, years later thinking WTF?....

14. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

"So sell the saddle and bring me $500" Then they get pissy.

alanp561, 1Nimrod and Dick Stevens like this.
  15. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I say the same thing when someone wants to pay me with a check. "If your check is good then cash it and bring me the cash." They don't quite get the drift of me not wanting to accept a two-party, out of state, lawn service check.

1Nimrod, weps, Truck64 and 1 other person like this.
  16. I just read most of the posts in this tread. Yea! You can't fix stupid. Most of these so called buyers need to at leased attempt to use that pile of crap in their skull before they open the hatchet accident they call a mouth. Damn!!

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just got to ask all of the questions, such as:

Why are you selling a 1931 Model A, with a title from 1929, that does not match any of the numbers on the car?

And for $4400.00?

alanp561 likes this.
  18. donno

donno

Picked up a car, (48) Merc that had a pair of Unity spotlights on it. Near perfect with the Mercury "Crowns" on them. Not being into that sort of thing, I took them off. Met a young man at a gathering one Sunday morning driving a 51 Merc that had holes in the pillar, where a spotlight had been. Told him about the light's, he came over, looked them over, asked how much, I shot him a number that was half of what they were worth. He paid me and said "you know their worth twice that"? I said no way I was going to use them and their going to a good home. Both happy and made anew friend.

alanp561, weps, Budget36 and 5 others like this.
  19. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

I actually have stopped selling some very nice parts because I can’t stand dealing with some of these people and their ideas.

lothiandon1940 and arkiehotrods like this.
  20. 1953naegle

1953naegle

This thread reminds me of this guys story...

21. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

That is spot on! The one garage sale we had, at 7:00 on the Friday morning it was to start, I was in the garage with a cup of coffee in my hand, wearing a bathrobe, and opened the door. No kidding, 2 guys were standing outside it, just waiting. "What are you doing?", I asked, "We're not starting until 9:00, come back in two hours.", and I shut the door. As it lowered, they both squatted down to peek in as it closed, and one of them said, "We'll be back, you got some good stuff." Sure enough, they came back and bought a bunch of stuff, but it was weird...

22. It’s too peopley out there for me!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

jaw22w and David Gersic like this.
  23. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

There are as many rude and ignorant sellers as there are clueless buyers.

24. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Yet, sadly, they can’t seem to just meet up with each other and leave the rest of us out of it.

In a different hobby, there was a guy that must have had some special connection to beds. Whatever you put up for sale, he’d ask if you’d be willing to trade him for a new mattress. I don’t think anybody ever took him up on this offer.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. I once rebuilt a 350 in exchange for a butchered hog.

26. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Had a guy try and low ball me on a very nice 51 merc. Guys from Minnesota and I'm in western South Dakota told him before he came my way it was in a small one car garage and it was tuff to see the passenger side and there was a pile of shit car in front of the garage door so if he was really interested I would move the p.o.s. car out of the way. Guy shows up I throw open the garage door and he says ohhh it's a 51 I don't like 51s don't like the rear quarters don't like the rear glass and I can't see the passenger side( yeah no shit I told you that). Then he starts low balling me and saying he's got another prospect down the road about 100 miles. After about a hour of whining and low balling I finally pointed to his truck and trailer out in the street and said there's your truck and if you go to the end of the road and turn left it will take you to the other car that's 100 miles away. I had an international hamb member contact me a few day earlier so I got on the hamb and told him I had a guy try and lowball me and I can guarantee he will be back. Long story short the hamb member pay paled me $1000 deposit and the next day the guy from Minnesota called me seven times six times I didn't answer my phone but the seventh time I pick up.the guy says the other car didn't pan out so I'm coming back to get yours. I said too bad sold it two hours after you left. Man that made me laugh thinking that all the bull shit low balling back fired right in his face. Car ended up heading to New Zealand. Was a lot of work but totally gratifying knowing the other putz screwed himself.

27. jim snow

jim snow

I am a buyer. If pick up or ask about an item it’s because I want it. If there is no price on it and I ask what the price is and they respond with what will you give me? I return said item and say I ain’t pricing your stuff and walk away. Least they could do is throw a number.jmho. Snowman

28. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Either that, or offer half price of what it's worth and see what he thinks about giving a price or not!

jim snow likes this.
  29. uncle buck

uncle buck

I usually won’t even take the time to ask if I see they have taken the time to label or write up a nice ad without a price. If they say they have no idea what it is worth , I might make an offer of what it is worth to me.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

jim snow and Thor1 like this.
  30. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

My Dad-in-law would tell them five minutes or fifty feet warranty what ever comes first and that never went over to well with the wanna be buyer!
    1Nimrod