Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What the.....Is This A Joke? Only $45K!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodA, Nov 22, 2019.

1. 5window

5window

Part of me hopes he gets his price, part of me, altruistically, thinks that if there were fewer "collectors" then prices would be lower and more people would be interested in building hot rods. As for needing 40 shells for projects-really? Let's say you could build three cars a year. . And, all you are interested in are Deuces. If you're set on using original tin, then these are upper level cars and let's say they'd be really cheap at $75K. So now, you've got 13 years worth of shells and a planned investment of mere $3,000,000. Which means that the $45,000 bid price should be no problem and this thread will be history. I'm just going to sit back and watch the bids. :)

Speedy Canuck likes this.
  2. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

The bigger joke is I've posted similar ads on the hamb to only get deleted mins later lol.

3. 5window likes this.
  4. Man, you sure seem disgruntled about this thread. 6% of your total post count is now on this thread...
    As for thinking "his price is too much means nothing", you're wrong there. Yes, it only takes one buyer to make a sale. But if everyone thinks his price is too high, then guess what? It's too high!

Your example about the Ken Gross intake sale also illustrates the point... That intake collection was listed for $50k. Then dropped to $35k. That's a 30% price reduction! And you said that if you had the money, you would have "sold off about 30 of the super rare ones to replace my cash and decorated my bedroom wall with the other 90 plus flathead intakes". Which is exactly the point that a bunch of others have already made: Selling individually nets higher pricing than bulk sales.

Individually, these grille shells might net $2,000 each. But that requires pictures and listing each one, dealing with buyers and potentially shipping, and then moving onto the next one. If all 40 were listed individually at the same time, it would flood the market and prices would drop.
    In this case, listing a bulk sale of 40 grilles is going to limit the available buyers, and lower the unit price.

And your 'plastic F150' analogy is completely irrelevant to this discussion. Not a single person has made the argument that a new truck is a sound investment... BUT! I challenge you to find a bank that will give you a loan with these grilles as collateral. And that is something that the plastic F150 has going for it.

Irish Mike and 5window like this.
  5. hotrodlane

hotrodlane

Any legit bank would loan on these shells as long as the borrower has good enough credit and the appraisal of the value of the shells is enough to warrant the risk. I borrowed money from my bank to buy all my 32 fords and a collection of gas pumps with no trouble whatsoever. So you might had better challenge someone else on that. If you can not get a bank to loan you money on a 45k investment then that is your problem. Myself and many others can borrow on whatever we want to buy as long as the item appraisal is worth it.

6. 5window

5window

Ooooh!
    Sent from my moto g(6) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. 5window

5window

A bank is not going to lend you full appraised value on anything. And, who is going to appraise the value of used parts anyway?. Folks just jawing here on this weird deal, what's got your hackles up so high?

Sent from my moto g(6) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Irish Mike and Speedy Canuck like this.
  8. hotrodlane

hotrodlane

Not sure what you mean, I have had old stuff appraised many times to borrow money on it. And who said anything about the bank loaning full value. these grilles will appraise for more than 45K. And my bank will loan on full value of anything I want to buy, They do require me to put down 10 percent. Anyhow nothing has me upset. It just gets old when people wanna Rip at someone who puts a price on their own stuff. Asking if this auction is a Joke is just ridiculous!! Bottomline is the parts belong to Mike and they are his to price at whatever he wants to. If you don't have the money or think it is too much then move on and buy the Chinese one for $200. with free shipping.

9. But then we couldn't have our weekly thread for everyone to whine about something being priced to high.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Yeah, a lot of those 'legit' banks closed in 2007-2008 after the housing crash.
    Loaning 90%-100% on an 'asset' with volatile valuation is just poor practice. It's not simply a matter of today's appraised value, but also the expectation of where that value is going to go.

If your bank has no problem loaning you $45k, and you are dead certain that there's money to be made on these, why haven't you pulled the trigger yet?

Some guys online talk a good game. :rolleyes:

Carter, 5window and Irish Mike like this.
  11. A lot easier to find 40 guys with $1500 each than one guy with $45,000 he can afford to park long enough to resell these.

Makes the hacked up commercial grille someone butchered to look like a '32 shell look like a super bargain at the $50 or so I sold it for.

5window and Speedy Canuck like this.
  12. 5window

5window

I sold one of those,too. About 5 years ago. Maybe someone is hoarding them--:)

13. 5window

5window

Three hours left to place your bid.

14. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Jeeze, I'm hoarding 8 original 32 wall hangers, you guys make me feel guilty!

15. fuzzface

fuzzface

no takers this time around.

16. 5window

5window

My heart will go on!

17. ... My buddy just scored these that were stashed away for 60 years ...
    DSCF3503.jpg DSCF3508.jpg DSCF3505.jpg

18. 5window

5window