Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Plumbing for vacuum wipers question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sporty45, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Sporty45

Sporty45

I've got a 47 Olds coupe that I am trying to figure out the wiper plumbing, but none of my books show it. Is there anyone here that has a diagram, or could do a drawing, or maybe take some pictures of it? I've been told to just do an electric conversion, but would like to keep the vacuum set up, if I can.

Thanks for any help ;)

2. carolina chevrolet

carolina chevrolet

I just Googled "47 Oldsmobile vacuum wiper diagram" and the first result was a schematic of the hoses and where they go.

3. squirrel

squirrel

care to share the schematic? it doesn't show up when I google that. I get something for a 58, and for a 62, but not for a 47.

Sporty45 likes this.
  4. BJR

BJR

Intake manifold to fuel pump, fuel pump to wiper switch or wiper motor.

Truckdoctor Andy and Sporty45 like this.

5. Sporty45

Sporty45

Yup, same here

6. Sporty45

Sporty45

Wiper switch has 3 inlets, or outlets. There is more than just vacuum to switch or wiper motor

7. rtp

rtp

I don't remember the routing on my 48 ,but if you're gonna drive in any rain you will not like it stock. Unless you have a good vac assist fuel pump, a tight or reconditioned switch ( control) and a really good rebuilt wiper motor, new bushings in the linkage arms ,and tight transmission stands.

Sent from my VS987 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Sporty45 likes this.
  8. carolina chevrolet

carolina chevrolet

My apologies , I went back and looked again, the schematic is for a '58. I didn't notice that the first time

Sporty45 likes this.
  9. BJR

BJR

One large tube from the switch goes to the fuel pump, the other large tube goes to the wiper motor and the small tube is the park tube goes from the switch to the wiper motor. hope this helps.

Sporty45 likes this.
  10. Sporty45

Sporty45

Yes, that definitely helps! So if I'm using a modern V8 with mechanical fuel pump, would I just plumb to a manifold vacuum source? And how does the windshield washer hook into it? A separate switch?

11. BJR

BJR

Yes plumb to your manifold. That is how I did my 49 Buick with a Cad 472 V8. My wipers work great. Did your car come with washers originally? If so they operated on vacuum also, and didn't work well.

Sporty45 likes this.
  12. Sporty45

Sporty45

Yes, it came with squirters. I never used the squirters when I first bought it so I have no idea how well they worked. I do know the wipers worked fine, until you stepped on the gas! :p

13. BJR

BJR

Just get a modern washer bottle with the electric pump in the bottom and hook up a button in or under the dash. Plumb the line from the pump to a T and got o each squirter with the hose.

Sporty45 likes this.
  14. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

And get some rainX....

Sporty45 likes this.
  15. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

The more steel tubing you can use the better the system will work..

16. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Just something to think about , it’s not HAMB friendly , but later model Ford diesel rigs have an electric vacuum pump that will power your wipers fine than frog hair split two ways !