Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods New to old cars.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DaBeers34, Nov 25, 2019.

1. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Those make great mild customs
    59 ford.jpg

2. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

20191122_153949.jpg

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  3. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

Those are the only numbers I have a picture of. On top. I didn't get pics of the others

4. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

Yeah the more and more I look on this forum there are a lot of cool lookin cars.

5. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

That looks like a teapot four barrel manifold. The numbers I was wanting to know about are under the water jacket at the front of the engine. Might need a mirror to get.

Bones

6. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

Yeah I was trying to get to that, it started raining so I closed it up. Had a bad sand storm then more rain. So I've been just waiting. Hopefully tomorrow I can do that if it's not raining.

7. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

Before I forget. I want to say thank you to everyone who has replied and helped with links and photos. And given any info. I appreciate it very much. I'm very new and green to actually having my own classic car. I will be on here asking a million questions people have probably already answered a million times, so sorry about that. But thank you everyone.

8. Yes it does, with an adapter for 57 and newer 4 bbl. Could be a 312 Merc. too, yes?
    You seein' a PCV too ?.. Might be a '60 or newer "Cali" 292 in that case.
    This one might need more than a little tune-up ;)

chryslerfan55, Stogy and Boneyard51 like this.
  9. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

I'll get more numbers tomorrow. From what I saw I think it's a 312 merc. But I'm not sure

10. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Good eye Mark, with a PCV and a teapot manifold......no telling what’s in there!

Bones

11. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

20191012_142529.jpg

12. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

I
    Unfortunately it sat for a little while. Had to wait to get it and they never closed the hood :(

13. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Well you have 312 exhaust manifolds. You may luck out and have one! Look under the water jacket for a head number, if you look at the front bolt in the intake on the drivers side, looks like it lines up with the thermostat housing in the photo, right under there is the number.

Bones

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    chryslerfan55, Stogy and DaBeers34 like this.
  14. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

Thats what I'm hoping for lol

chryslerfan55, Stogy and Boneyard51 like this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Hamb Membership are serious about the Scene and there are within the walls of this Site are the Best That Vintage Hotrod/Custom has to offer...

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  16. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

I will do that tomorrow. Thank you

chryslerfan55, Boneyard51 and Stogy like this.
  17. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't think '59 Fords had a 312 in them. Maybe a 292, 332, or 352 ?

18. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

I don't think it's the original motor. I'm gonna get some more numbers tomorrow if it's not raining.

19. manyolcars

manyolcars

I like the formal roof on your car more than the roof on my car. I have considered cutting the formal roof off of my parts car and using it on mine. I got a 59 Edsel to strip for parts too. I will use the Edsel hardtop parts to make my car a hardtop but the Edsel has the Custom 300 type roof

chryslerfan55 and DaBeers34 like this.
  20. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

21. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

I don't think that's the numbers I was hoping to see.

22. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

20191127_124430.jpg

Boneyard51 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. Are you saying that the engine got rained in? That is not good. You might be in store for more work than you intended if it got water in it.

24. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

OH no it never got rained in. But the hood was left open for about 2 months, so it was just dusty and had spider webs everywhere. The rain and dust storm came after I got it home and had it covered. So no water got in anywhere

chryslerfan55, 56don and Stogy like this.
  25. squirrel

squirrel

Keep looking deeper, eventually you'll find the block...????

:)

If you can turn the crankshaft (front pulley) all the way around, then it's probably ok inside. Might want to do a compression test eventually, or try to get it running, and see what you have. Whether or not you need to do major engine work, might affect your plans for the car?

26. Nice looking car! By the way, just because you will drive it before paint and body work doesn't make it a "r@t rod ", it's really a work in progress... fixing it up while you drive is definitely the way to go for someone new to classics. Ebay and craigslist are flooded with unfinished projects...

Surfcityrocker, joeycarpunk and Stogy like this.
  27. If it happens to be a good runner it really won't matter if it's a 312 or a 292. Neither one of them makes a Ton of HP in stock form. It's just good to know for sure what you have. Lot's of good info so far and we all have our own way of doing things. I like to hear them run first to make sure they will. I never draw fuel out of a Gas That's been sitting for years. Also you can get a new O.E. replacement tank way cheaper than trying to get a probably rusty tank clean. You mentioned the wiring is in pretty sad shape. Do you know can get a total stock replacement plug and play harness for your car? Beats a million butt connectors and crimp terminals. I've been into 57-58-59 Fords since I was a kid and now post 70. Here is one of my current pieces. It's way to stock for me so it just sits waiting for the right trade to come up.
    P1010160.JPG One thing I've learned over the years is that the 59 is a year unto itself on most things. I don't know for sure about the front seats. I'd find someone with an old Hollander interchange book like the old junk yards used to have and make sure.

28. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

Thank you for the info. I'll look into that harness. That's a nice lookin car.

29. I have bought 3 completes from them over the years. Not cheep and a Headlight to taillight harness is just a little more than you paid for the Car. That said you can also buy it in sections being they were not bundled into one complete unit. There was to many options and models to make a one unit fit all. Laying along side a take out stock unit you'll swear it was built at the factory. Co. name is Class Tech and as far as I know don't have a web sight (ya I know). You call them and a little Old Lady answers the phone and she sends you the info related to your vehicle.1-800-874-9981

chryslerfan55 and DaBeers34 like this.
  30. I'm the second owner. It still wares 1959 Paint as well as 1959 Upholstery and has not been restored, just well kept up and serviced.

VANDENPLAS and DaBeers34 like this.