Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. loudbang

loudbang

posted by hemidav in the vintage thread

hemidav.jpg

1947knuck, Elcohaulic, enloe and 3 others like this.
  2. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

AHRA had some really liberal rules but I don't know how you could run with out a front bumper.

3. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Took the words right out of my mouth!

4. Terry Bell

Terry Bell

I heard a rumor that NHRA "MIGHT" go to full pound class breaks in stock and Super stock in 2020 !

JollyGreenGiant and loudbang like this.
  5. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Terry exactly how does that affect anything? Anybody racing can add or subtract 8 ounces, I don't see the difference.

Pat

6. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

There are several implications that come to mind but the first thing necessary to explain is what a "one pound break" really means. "Half pound breaks" provide that all cars whose natural horsepower/weight ratio between, for example 10.0 and 10.49 fit into E/S and all cars whose natural horsepower/weight ratio between 10.5 and 10.99 fit into F/S. The rule that Terry is referencing would mean that all cars between 10.0 and 10.99 pounds per horsepower would fit into a single class. More cars per class, fewer classes overall.
    1. Fewer classes mean fewer trophies to be bought. Also, there will be fewer class win contingencies to be paid out although the current bounty for a class win is pathetically minimal when compared to the cost of the product that any given sponsor is promoting.
    2. There would be more heads-up pairings during eliminations.
    3. It is, as yet, unclear what will happen to the rule that states that cars may run either the class below or the class above their natural class designation, i.e., a car whose HP/Wt. ratio is 10.00 may now run in D/S (a lighter class), E/S (the natural class) or F/S (a heavier class). It's much more difficult to reduce the shipping weight of a particular combination that has a class break of 10.95 (for example) by 300# to achieve the class minimum of 10.0 than it is to reduce it 150# to achieve a class minimum of 10.5. This rule was very kind to drivers whose body weight was more than 170#. The change could conceivably render some engine/body/driver weight combinations somewhat less competitive. Or, conversely, it could be a real advantage for those drivers with 140# bodies when compared to the guys who weigh 250# or more.

Another rumor now circulating suggests that the only national event during which class championships will be contested will be the U.S. Nationals while all other class runoff events will be held as part of divisional or regional events within the seven divisions.

As is typical, the devil of this or any other rumor lies within the clarifying details if and when they ever emerge. Any change will be immediately denounced by a substantial percentage of racers as poorly conceived and hailed by a similar percentage as being better than chocolate birthday cake.

Way to stir the pot, Terry!!

c

7. Strange how these rumors come about..
    A couple of days ago on the premier S/SS forum, in a related thread, somebody contributes the premise that they ought to go to 1 lb. breaks, for more heads-up run.
    Next day, a racer on F/B states that they might be going to 1 lb. breaks, and gets everybody all worked up about it.
    Next day, I hear it here.
    I doubt there is much to this one..Seems like a lot of time and trouble for NHRA, that they don't need or want.

Lyn Smith and JollyGreenGiant like this.
  8. loudbang

loudbang

9. Terry Bell

Terry Bell

Sorry I "stirred" the pot and its way to new info for this site. I just thought someone on here MIGHT be interested in case they were building a car to race NHRA for next year. We are ALL car guys ! Thanks for taking the time to explain it so good to new be racers. Not all on here are into racing stock and S/S.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  10. Lyn Smith

Lyn Smith

Better check the rule book,but I think Super Stock is already 1 pound breaks.Can you tell me why this would be a good idea for Stock?

11. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Super Stock is 1/2 # breaks as far down as SS/I (10# : hp). SS/GT is 1/2# breaks all the way down the list. From SS/J to the end of the list they use 1# breaks.

loudbang and NHRANUT like this.
  12. Terry Bell

Terry Bell

To many separate classes today. Almost zero contingencies for a class win. More heads up races so its less of a bracket race.

13. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

Ran AHRA in 68 and 69 and the no bumper rule was in effect for Stock. Very liberal rules made it hard for a poor boy to keep up. Any camshaft with solid non-roller lifters, any carburetor, any pistons, any intake, you get the idea. Only checked weight and ci.
    Pete

Junior Stock and loudbang like this.
  14. loudbang

loudbang

posted by swi66 in the vintage thread

swi66.jpg

1947knuck, Elcohaulic, enloe and 5 others like this.
  15. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

A truly classic match-up!!! This is Junior Stock at its finest! Heads-up, balls to the wall.

16. Terry Bell

Terry Bell

You nailed it Chuck. Those were great days of Jr. Stock racing.

17. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The challenge of the 4 doors. You don't see that anymore. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

18. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Jay Hamilton vs. Parham,Payne and McDanials
    Looks like Tulsa

19. loudbang

loudbang

20. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

21. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This guy built my car...just a bunch too early for me to use it!!

22. loudbang

loudbang

23. loudbang

loudbang

24. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

It was Car Craft.

loudbang, Tom 57 150 and Chuck Norton like this.
  25. Terry Bell

Terry Bell

You are correct Gary. I have the issue in front of me !

loudbang and Tom 57 150 like this.
  26. JollyGreenGiant

JollyGreenGiant

Why is the Chevy Bowtie backwards? I noticed the same thing on the Stahl/Benner '57 Fuelie.

31hotrodguy, loudbang and Tom 57 150 like this.
  27. Gary, Always wanted to ask who the Valley Boys were.
    You, Joe, Marv, Bob Lambeck..and ??

31hotrodguy and Tom 57 150 like this.
  28. Okay, cool ..I just hope it wasn't yesterday that I asked you.:(

Chuck Norton likes this.
  29. Sorry, got my posts mixed up ..Shouldn't try it on my phone. :)

Gary Glover likes this.
  30. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

The answer to that reasonable question may lie in the fact that GM's legal department was fairly aggressive in protecting the original logo from copyrighted trademark infringement. A friend experienced that uncomfortable reality when using the "bowtie" shape in advertising a privately-owned business. Just how it would have played out had he persisted is unknown but the arrival of a "cease and desist" notice was enough to change the shape of the framework around his name. It had not been a problem for him until a small ad was published in the back pages of National Dragster and once that occurred, the "C&D" letter was not far behind.

31hotrodguy and loudbang like this.