Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical how did you lift/ sling your engine.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tb33anda3rd, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have used about everything you can think of except the seat belts over the past 55 years. I would rather use a plate bolted to the carb bolt holes on the manifold if I can though.

On a couple of vans and a motor home I figured out that if you take the chain off your cherry picker and relace it with a clevis or ring you can use another clevis to short couple with your engine plate to pull or install an engine in one where you can get it out and in through the front.

I've seen too light of chains break, I have seen bolts that weren't strong enough or weren't tight when they were in shear break and drop the engine. Walked into a a shop years ago where they had just dropped a pretty spendy race motor about 5 feet when a bolt broke because they had it in shear and the bolt wasn't up to the job. Cost them a Moroso oil pan and pickup on that one.

I remember back in the 70's lifting more than one engine with a ratchet come along that I would probably be scared to death to use now. I think I used it to pull the engine out of the 61 Chev donor and put it in my T bucket back then.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  2. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

Is that a Wayne head?

3. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

I bought a flathead one time, the guy loaded it into my truck using a couple of fan belts to sling it on an overhead crane.

4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

The old engine lifter has a 1M and 1 uses apart from putting the engine in and pulling it out during set up.;)
    Olds front end 2.jpg

Rolling chassis.jpg

tb33anda3rd and greaseSlinger57 like this.
  5. Boden

Boden

On my flathead I used a chain on the intake bolts with the intake off. I left enough open links before the bolt so I could put s bolt in the next open link that lines up with a bolt hole. So if one bolt brakes I have a backup bolt. It’s simple cheap insurance. That’s the only way I have done it. But then again. I have only pulled and installed a handful of motors. But at work we have tabs that go on the head bolts or a accessory bolt hole. Because we can screw up a motor or it will cost the shop or me!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6. big john d

big john d
    from ma

7. big john d

big john d
    from ma

my 69 vette 350 4 speed had a welded crossmember you can get the muncie out without moving the motor but just barely now it has a removable crossmember

8. For future reference, I put the combined BBC engine and 4 speed into the 65 Vette. I removed the radiator support and angled the combo very steep and it was close, but I managed to wiggle it in as a complete unit.

Tim, Tickety Boo and Bandit Billy like this.
  9. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Junk yard tech, I was quite surprised the first time I saw it, the guy slid one of the forks on his forklift through the belt like it was natural.

10. I have used all sorts of methods some were pretty shaky using what I had available. Putting them in by myself I prefer the load leveler, makes it so much easier.

11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Yes it is. IMG_0716.JPG

leadfootloon, mgtstumpy and Paul like this.
  12. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I've said it many times, my career was in healthcare. As such, we would have ambulances, aid cars, and other fire dept vehicles transport patients to the hospital. Virtually all patients are strapped to a backboard, and usually, the transporters have to drop their patients off, and run to another call. We then put their left behind equipment in a storage area for them to retrieve, but many times, they don't ever retrieve that equipment; it will sit for weeks, months, and even years! We even call to have them come get their items when they're marked, sometimes to no response. I have used these HD nylon straps (similar to seat belt webbing), wrapped around exhaust manifolds for lifting. Many times, these straps, and other equipment, are not even marked who they belong too, so no one ever retrieves them; the ER manager has even said to throw some of these things out when the collection gets too big. Plus, they're always bright orange, so you can see where they are relative to obstructions when using them to lift. Handy-dandy, free, and an almost unlimited supply. At least they're not thrown away; and I've saved a few from that fate. I also have my own collection of chains and brackets I've collected over the years. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

13. goldmountain

goldmountain

I made these lifting supports that bolt to the exhaust manifold holes because I didn't want lifting hooks on the intake bolts that would possibly scratch the intake manifold. IMG_1177.JPG

14. greaseSlinger57

greaseSlinger57

[​IMG]

Intake manifold studs and little plates hasn’t fallen... yet

Jack of all trades. Master of none.

mgtstumpy and tb33anda3rd like this.
  15. southcross2631

southcross2631

I use a carb base lift bracket. Have used just about every method mentioned here.
    My DSCF3462.JPG brother and I used a piece of pipe and a chain to lift a 283 out of a wrecked 64 Malibu. Carried it
    home in the trunk of my 64 Impala.

16. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

At different times I have used most of the options previously mentioned. Don't know where my carb/manifold lift plate drifted off to since I started messing with injection.
    The diagonal chain works well when you have plenty of room like in a hot rod with no radiator in place. The thing I found that was very handy was the Harbor Freight engine tilter. It lets you angle the whole engine/transmission if needed in a 40s and newer car.
    Still, one problem I had was the chains contacting something on the engine and breaking or bending it as you raised and lowered the engine. Here is a picture of what I did to modify an engine tilter so the chains usually don't cause any problems. I can almost always find some way to hook it up without messing anything up.

Engine Tilter 5x.JPG

But then sometimes I don't need it

500 Cadillac on chain x1.JPG

17. greaseSlinger57

greaseSlinger57

[​IMG]

Not quite an engine, but.... used a cherry picker to get the job done! Whatever it takes!

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  18. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Normally I use a load leveler, but sometimes I just chain up that bitch and lift. A flat Cad with transmission attached is heavy. I guessed as to where the neutral balance point would be. Did I get close? 20131116_142536.jpg 20131116_144542.jpg

19. greaseSlinger57

greaseSlinger57

On the money

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.